News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gainesville, FL May 11-12, 2013

Started by 9mm4545, May 13, 2013, 09:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

We had some great shooters and great Americans join together in Gainesville for a highly productive Appleseed. On Saturday we had eight on the line, half of whom were of the female persuasion. The fire hose of information was unleashed and the elements of safe accurate shooting were instilled into our willing students. It was truly gratifying to see the vast improvement in marksmanship over the course of just one day and our ancestors would be proud to see that their traditions were being upheld. As the story of April 19th, 1775 was told during the day, I could see that people were touched by the actions and sacrifices of a long ago and nearly forgotten generation. By the end of a long day, the rain began and alas, no new Riflemen revealed themselves. But, what an improvement was seen from the first target of the day! Beki and Chelsea, who were brand new shooters, were remarkable in their advancement and with a bit more polish and practice, will soon master their rifles. Thank you Chris for talking them into coming. Zach, our Young Patriot, showed some really great shooting at times and now all that is needed is consistency.

On Sunday the rain that was forecast never showed up. Divine providence to Appleseeders? Mother's Day did affect our attendance somewhat but the 5 hearty souls who did come out were ready to learn and never let up during the race to the finish. Focus, grit, determination, and attention to detail worked as three new Riflemen joined us by the end of the day. Congratulations to Billy, Frank, and Mike! I have no doubt whatsoever that Zach and Jean will soon be joining you with shiny new Rifleman patches with continued practice and persistence. Remember, dry fire is your friend!

After we had officially ended on Sunday, we still had some daylight left, some targets and ammo left, and shooters who were not ready just yet to go home. Those that wanted to had the opportunity to shoot some serious rifles as Frank brought out his gorgeous FN FAL (aka "Right Arm of the Free World") and our own Smoak unlimbered his venerable Swiss K31 (aka "A Real Man's Rifle). Ear to ear grins resulted from some recoil therapy of the finest kind. Guys, thank you for sharing with us. I drove home tired, sore, dirty, and very happy from a fantastic weekend.

Thanks to Frank, we have some photos! Here are our new Riflemen among the Sunday stalwarts: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/rarecat/2013%20Appleseed/100_6085_zps7fd8d70d.jpg
And here, our Young Patriot: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/rarecat/2013%20Appleseed/100_6083_zps2ee2ced6.jpg
And even girls like big battle rifles: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/rarecat/2013%20Appleseed/100_6089_zps7feaa2fe.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/rarecat/2013%20Appleseed/100_6091_zps4a76f3db.jpg
Zach and "the beast": http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/rarecat/2013%20Appleseed/100_6094_zps1ab4b8ea.jpg
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

fisherdawg

Way to go Billy!  :) :bow: O0 I'm very proud of all of you down there in  G'ville. 
From an old Gator:
'fisherdawg' in Eagle River, Alaska
Wally Thomas
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Minutemom

Way to go, Billy, Mike, and Frank!  You did our founding fathers proud!  It was such an honor to spend the day on Saturday with such amazing people.  Bruce, Janet, and Smoak, you were indispensable and a joy to work with as always!  I can't thank you enough for everything you did to help me and my sisters.  You go above and beyond what anyone would expect from even an Appleseeder!  And to be able to spend the day on the range with my 2 awesome sisters, learning about our heritage, was priceless.  There is something about an Appleseed shoot that brings out the best in people - perhaps it is the determination and true grit that was the hallmark of those who went before us and established this country as something unique and truly great.  Appleseed has me excited about their mission and I hope to always be a part of it.
Chris
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

rambo granny

Chris,
Thanks soooo much for your  kind words. It's folks like you and your sisters who make it worth all our efforts. Love your icon and the name. Minutemoms will help us put our country back family unit by family unit. To do that we could use more female instructors. Hint Hint. ;D Dry fire. Dry fire and the consistency of always a rifleman will come.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Krom

Billy here! (Krom is my middle name, I use it on most forums as I have yet to meet another "Krom". Except for my son, and Conan's god, but that's spelled with a C.)

Thanks Wally! It was through your Face Book posts that I found out about Appleseed, I am in your debt, brother! (we used to work at Burritto Brothers in Gainesville)

I cannot put into words how much I appreciate what the Appleseed project does, how much I believe in what Appleseed teaches. It strikes me to the core and has lit a fire that burns with consuming intensity. I will never give up, never stop feeding that furnace (American Insurgents, American Patriots: The Revolution of the People should be here today, thanks for the recommendation 9mm4545!) 

A heartfelt thanks for 9mm4545 and Rambo Granny for coming to Gainesville and passing on your knowledge and passion, I look forward to meeting again! Please let me know if there's anything I can to do help bring more Appleseed events to Gainesville.

Smoak, thank you for your time, patience and skill to get my scope mounted correctly are much appreciated! Look for my email, I want those book recommendations, need to feed that fire!

Frank and Janet, it was great to meet you and thanks so much for your generosity. If not for your help we wouldn't have been able to shoot.

Mike, it was a pleasure to meet you sir! thanks for the heads up on the podcast and congrats on making Rifleman!

It was nice to see you again Minutemom! thanks for spreading the word, getting two more people to hear the message and learn the skills of Appleseed  O0

Last but not least, Zach made me one proud papa last weekend. We will continue to practice the skills we acquired and spread the message of Appleseed to all our friends and family.
In fact, I feel that if you're not doing Appleseed or training in some way then you are no friend of mine.  &)
Words are no longer enough, it's time to put in some blood sweat and tears.  ~~:)
Let's do this!  O0

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Krom

9mm4545 has the pics in his post... but I'll embed them here for you technically challenged folk  ;)

Sly223, I present for your viewing pleasure  ..:..

from the left: Zach, me, Janet, Bruce, Frank and Mike

our fearless leader

Zach on the FN-FAL

Rambo Granny tearin' it up
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Sly223

Awesome pics I am technikley challenged among other challenges!
I didn't realize I printed the Icon more than once I thought I had to click every image!lol ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

9mm4545

Actually it is Jean in the group photo, not Janet, although the photo of the lady shooting the FN FAL is Janet. There, confused enough now?

Krom

Doh! Sorry 'bout that... I'm terrible with names  :slap:

American Insurgents, American Patriots arrived yesterday, any other good books anyone can recommend?
(Paul Revere's Ride and Lion of Liberty were great reads)

dayid

9mm4545

The 5000 Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen. (A miracle that changed the world. Principals of freedom 101.)
Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer

fisherdawg

Billy,
I appreciate the shoutout. You will find American Insurgents is an outstanding book -- really sheds light on the 'regular folks' in 1774 - 1776 period.  It's where I found the Suffolk Resovles & that quote I keep repeating "That it is an indispensable duty..."

I also recommend:
1776 by David McCollugh -- covers some of the same ground as Washington's Crossing but very good about the events right after April 19th
Albions Seed by David Hacket Fischer -- very academic, but aoutstanding cultural history
Samuel Adams by Ira Stoll -- without Sam would there have been a Revolution?
The Long Fuse by Don Cook -- very good description from the perspective of the British political leadership.  Knig George III was no figurehead, he was the moving spirit behind British tyranny
Right now I'm reading Ordinary Courage by Joseph Plumb Martin one of the very few memiors from a Private in the Continental Army -- it's great lot's of humor & you really feel what he went through!

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

smoakingun

Great shoot! Great people! great weather! Great time!
For them what uncovered their inner rifleman, congratulations. You conquered some fundamentals with a .22, now you are ready for a centerfire.  O0
For them what did not, patience, perservance and persistance will eventually pay off and we instructors will be there to help you on your way.  ~~:)
Zach, I wish all the kids we get on the line had your attitude. Your parents have done a good job on you.
Chris. Thanks for bringing more family. Beki and Chelsea were a lot of fun and took well to the instruction and did a great job, I have no doubt that had you returned Sunday the two of them would have scored.
Jean, You need to come back. You have much potential and I would love to be there when it is realized.
Those of you who did not make rifleman, we want you back at the next event. It is our goal to finish the work we started. We want to see the finished product, not just the prototype.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

Rarecat

Frank here, first post.  Thanks to Bruce, Janet and Mr Smoak (the divine wind) for an outstanding weekend.  Jean and I learned alot and are looking forward to our next Appleseed adventure.  Jean has been busy recruiting for the next Gainesville event and already has a handful of people interested.  We are also busy getting our 10/22 prepared for correct training usage.   

Finally, Jean and I have been comparing cartridge burns this week to see who got the better defined scar in development....

Molon Labe

Frank

ChelseaB

Thanks so much for sharing your time and knowledge with us Bruce, Janet and Smoak! I appreciate you guys. I'm not sure if I'll be able to retain all of it, but I will be back to relearn what I forget. I suppose I'll need to get my own rifle if I'm going to practice dry firing :-)
It was an amazing day shared with awesome people. I've got a few pics of me, Chris and Beki. I'll include them here.

I'm sorry we missed day two, although I was pretty tired after one! Well done, Billy, Frank, and Mike!