News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Metacon, CT 11/12 May 2013

Started by Jay Haich, May 12, 2013, 10:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Haich

Thanks to the 21 Shooters that arrived for a weekend of History, Heritage and Marksmanship.

Thanks to our hosts: Metacon Gun Club, this is an excellent facility and the huge overhang on the Firing line keeps shooters and equipment dry.

It was great to see so many families shooting together.

I will not steal too much of the Shoot Boss' thunder..... just a few pics to show it is happening.

A good way to start your day.... Pledge of Allegiance

Morning briefing (looks like some folks are missing their coffee)

IMC

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

pirrosnet

Just wanted to thank all the instructors for this weekend. Had a great time and got to meet some good people.

And give a shout out and mad props to my MOM!! It was a fun way to spend Mother's Day!  :~

toadshoney

I want to thank all of the instructors for taking the time to help me reach my goal of Rifleman.

I also thank my club for giving up the only outdoor range for the weekend. We had an outstanding turnout and many qualified Rifleman!

madone

What a great event!

This was my first Appleseed event and won't be my last. Thanks so much to all the instructors for volunteering their time for the weekend. Each and everyone offered me advice, and WHEN followed it made the difference. Being primarily a pistol shooter I wanted to be able to really learn how to shoot a rifle. I was so excited I made Rifleman on Saturday, so much so my shooting suffered afterwards.  So on Sunday, I was even more excited that I was able to multi repeat it and prove to myself it was not a fluke  ;)

It was also great to meet so many members of Metacon (most for the first time).  Can't wait to meetup/shoot with you all again.

Aside: I want to 2nd (or 3rd) Patricks' suggestion about creating a new "black on black" Rifleman's patch for qualify for Rifleman with an AR.  :---  That will be my next goal.

Thanks again everyone!

TallGuy

Thanks to all the great Appleseed instructors and Dom from Metacon Gun Club for a fun safe and informative weekend.

The lessons on the 6 safety rules and the 4 rules of making a shot or was it 4 safety rules and  6 steps to clear a rifle...Guess I'll have to go back next year.

TOMINCT

Well, what can I say? Many have this post on the run and I'll fill in the details later.

A great facility, fair to great weather, a great group of attendees and  a great job by the IT crew made this shoot outstanding.

Short one, 9 rifleman! Not sure where to begin but will do so after work. Tominct
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

JanPCT

Thanks to Dom,  Metcon, and to the great instructors for this past weekend. I have gone from being 'timid' around guns - to a 'gun nut'...as some people say. My only regret - I waited so long to get involved in this new hobby!! Thanks go out to my son Jeff - for really getting me going....Back to Appleseed - as a member of the newly formed A Girl and A Gun League - I will certainly be passing on the word to them about this - what a great learning experience - both with riflery and history. And add to all this one of the instructors was a quilter (can we guess which one)! Just an added bonus!! I will certainly do this again - as I was so close.....I will get my patch next time!! Thanks again for a great Mother's Day!!  :) And keep up the good work!!
Jan in CT

TOMINCT

Alright, we're back. A sold out shoot months in advance and no help to run it! Hmmm, well this may get interesting.

Well, truth be told a great number of in and out of state IT's/IITs stepped up the last week and made this shoot a really great event. It had a LOT to do with the results that were obtained, IMHO.

Saturday am had Jay Haich, Round Trip, mzweatherby, CTShooter, Zeus and edleit help yours truly to get the show running. The typical intro, safety briefing and what AS is was told to the attendees after the Pledge of Allegiance. Once rifles were brought to the line and the the redcoat COF ws explained the fun began.

Sat am redcoat count was 8 100, 3 200, 5 300 and 3 400 yard shooters with 5 hitting the shingle and one cleaning the RC target. Nice way to begin but still some room for up to work. And work we did through the standard POI's  up until lunchtime and the first strike. After lunch ball and dummy, which had a very momentary cease fire given during the second half. A neighborhood whitetail decided to show us what one looks like on the run behind the target line! Many did not get the sight of it but those who were standing can attest to it. B&D resumed without a hitch.

The non prone positions were taught and followed immediately by AQT's. We got 3 in before the pm redcoat which turned out 4 100, 2 200, 7 300 and 4 400 yard effective shooter. Nine shingle hits and two cleaning the pm redcoat. Huzzah!

The day finished indoors with the third strike and recognition of those who made the cut.  The first was Pete, a repeat RM with a solid 225, followed by another repeat RM Jeff, with a 232. And our shiny, brand new rifleman Mark, with a 233! great job everyone!

Sunday had some new faces, besides mzweatherby, Round Trip and CTShooter, Metalgodz and Hiranmhog lent their expertise to help the trying hard MGC attendees along the way to becoming Rifleman. The day began with the am redcoat and 6 100, 2 200, 3 300 and 2 400 yard shooters, with 4 shingle hits. A tune up on squares with a double helping of NPOA shift drills was followed by AQT's, both stage by stage and RFAQT's. A lunch break was followed by a team shoot on a redcoat and Dave an Lily taking the field with an impressive example of teamwork and skill.

The AQT grind commenced and started to wind down with several shooters leaving before the final redcoat. The 10 that stayed produced 1 100, 2 200, 3 300, 2 400 yard effective, 1 shingle and one cleaning the paper. Nice way to end the day.

Sunday produced the following Rifleman and scores: Andrew with a 216, Scott with a 212, David with a 218, Dean with a 211, Eli with a 218 firing a CF and finally Lily, who hung in after excessive hits earlier in the day, with a 210 and a nice, cool dousing to go with it! A grand shoot, by far! ^:)^

We also had our intrepid almost there shooters who did their best including David with a 209 and Leslie, who dealt with a borderline non functioning rifle all day Saturday and finished up Sunday in the 180's!

A big thank you goes out to the Metacon Gun Club for the use of the facilities. The covered line, with a large overhang, does a lot to keep mother nature from messing with one's bubble. The club has been a great supporter in the past and we look forward  to having them host again in the future. A big thanks to Dom, BOTG and club RSO, leading the charge for hosting AS there and making things go as smoothly as possible.

The instructor crew did a great job in not only teaching but in answering the call. It is double tough on Mother's day especially, and many folks there understood and appreciated the fact that you were there. Myself included.

I know that many pics were taken on both days, if you took photos please get them posted, especially from Sunday and our Riflemen contingent . Thanks for all of your efforts, Tominct.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

edleit

Congrats to all the new Riflemen  O0 (yes, that includes the gals, too!) My hat's off to you for your accomplishments!

It was great to work the line on Saturday with a fine group of staff who kept everything running smoothly. Most importantly, the folks who attended the event came with a great attitude, had a lot of fun, and certainly left the event both as more competent shooters and with a greater appreciation for our nation's heritage.

Ed
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" — Edmund Burke

Weatogue Andrew

This was our first Apple Seed and we are glad we went. Very glad we ended up with 3 riflemen in the house. Thank you to all the instructors.

Jay Haich

Andrew,

Thanks for posting the photos. The "Facebook" links is working.

B Safe
JH
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

Round Trip

From beginning to end, excellent.
Americans need to face the truth about themselves, no matter how pleasant it is.   Jeane Kirkpatrick