News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to the Minnesota Appleseed forum! - Please Check In

Started by vmt193, August 20, 2008, 01:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmt193

Hi all,

Now that we've got our own MN State board, we can get down to some serious Appleseeding. Hopefully  we'll spark some interest and pick up a few Rifleman at the first AS shoot next month. Then one of our next missions will be to start looking for someplace near the metro area, and maybe another up in the northwoods, to host an Appleseed. I'm down in the SE corner and don't have any connections much further north than the Wabasha area. If anybody can help out with some possibles, just post here or drop me a PM.

vmt

SavageShootr

Hey, where is everybody? Let's rock this state! Please check in.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

colycat

Colycat, checking in to a state thats is going to take off.  One on the best AS's I have ever attended occured in Winnona.

If I can get 4 Kwik Tripp girls to want to attend,  It should be easy to hold another event this year.  And Im not from California ;D
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

russellmn

Russell checking in.  I'm just  a little south of Duluth.  Sorry I missed the first shoot, I was signed up and then had to work.  >:(
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

Steelheart

Steelheart here.

I didn't make it to the Mn shoot in Sept. but was in Iowa back in April.

Steelheart
NRA & GOA Member     http://www.taurusarmed.net

AFTERMATH

O.K. Now,

We are starting to get some more Minnesotans on here!

Where is everybody else?  I know we've got some 'lurkers' on here.  There's no time to check the temp of the water! Jump on in!

Stand up, be counted, be heard!

We can have a huge year for MN Appleseed this year, but we're counting on your help.

1)Start by checking in here(if you haven't already): so we know who we've got.

2)Then head over to http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4310.0 and get some flyers for the next shoot. APRIL 18-19!! Winona
  Print some off an hand some out. (Even if people can't make it, they'll still here about it.  If it sells out; their interest will spike)

3)If you've already shot Rifleman(or are very close, check into attending an IBC.)  We need to grow our instructor pool so we
  can host more shoots.  There should be one coming up in Winona; or Lodi, WI: maybe both, if there's enough interest.

4)We need ranges, get in contact with the ranges in your area.(Some of you have already)  Even better, if someone here has access to land
   suitable for an Appleseed, let us know.

vmt193 has gone through a lot of work getting us our first Appleseed and scheduling our 2nd.  Lets not leave it all up to him.

If there's anything I left out, please let me know.

-Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

colycat

Really everyone, checking in is good, but lets got some shoots on the schedule!  God knows we need Appleseeds now more the ever.

Call me, 608-963-0296, with your ideas.  Or PM
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

fepowered

There are alot of shooters near Mankato, based on what I saw at Gander and Scheels over there.  There must be some ranges suitable for an Appleseed between there and the Twin Cities...
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

Steelheart

Quote from: fepowered on November 08, 2008, 12:23:30 AM
There are alot of shooters near Mankato, based on what I saw at Gander and Scheels over there.  There must be some ranges suitable for an Appleseed between there and the Twin Cities...

There's a range by Waseca but the board is fairly political and not following their own regs (just little things like meetings etc).  I have my doubts that anything could be made to work there.   http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shooting_ranges/show_range.html?name=Waseca+Sportsman%27s+Club

Beyond that, I'm not sure whats in this neck of the woods.  Most of the ones I do know of are either too small to work or hunting preserves.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/shooting_ranges/index.html

Steelheart
NRA & GOA Member     http://www.taurusarmed.net

russellmn

I talked to my Dad about setting up a range on his hunting land.  Has an area for a 25 yard range probably handle 25-30 lanes.  He wouldn't want a shoot every month, but may be able to run a couple there a year.  We're gonna talk about it some more in the next couple weeks.  I'm trying to get him to sign up for the 4/19 shoot and get him hooked.  I'm also looking to buy some land to build on myself, then I can have a dedicated range.  I'll keep everyone updated on this as I get more info.
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

vmt193

russellmn

Hey, good work! A shoot up that way would be nice. If we could get one there and another in the west-central part of the state we'd be looking pretty good. Let us know if you need any help with anything.

vmt193

MisterOblivious

Quote from: vmt193 on November 13, 2008, 08:50:30 AM
russellmn

Hey, good work! A shoot up that way would be nice. If we could get one there and another in the west-central part of the state we'd be looking pretty good. Let us know if you need any help with anything.

vmt193

Hey folks, finally checking in from the Winona shoot here.
[attachment=2]

I tend to shoot at Caribou gun club, which is between Mankato and the cities.  It's fairly nice with berms from 25(feet?) to 500 yards.  It's a nice facility, but really doesn't suit our needs.   Just brining it up incase folks need a range to practice on.  The public can use it, but there's a $20 fee for non-members (yikes!)

Henderson, also on 169 between 'kato and the cities, is something like a $25 yearly membership.  While it doesn't fit the needs of an Appleseed shoot, it's a much cheaper option in that area than Caribou if you don't need to practice out past 70 yards.
[attachment=1]

As far as West Central goes, I know the perfect range: Dawson.  It's only slightly further than Winona for cities folks, but straight west on 212 or 7.  I'll have to get some photos and measurements next time I'm out that way, possibly over Thanksgiving.  The range itself is roughly 100meters wide. There are some obstructions, but there's at least 100 feet of useable width.  The range is privately owned property outside of city limits near a largeish park with plenty of shelters and a few camping spaces. The top of the clubhouse is roughly even with the land nearby, so there's a rather tall natural berm as a saftey barrier. There are downsides of course.  The land to the north is a cemetary and it wouldn't be polite to be shooting during a funeral.  The clubhouse was dilapitated 15 years ago and I haven't been inside since.

I'll go ahead and track down the contact number and maybe have a chat with the guy.

colycat

Hey, Mister,  I see the patch, but no orange hat ;D

Mark, it was your shoot, get this guy signed up!

Good work on scouting out locations.  Now you guys over there, get some shoots ;D

russellmn

Has anybody looked into Camp Ripley????  I'm not sure if they'd allow it, but it would be worth talking to them...  If no one has already, I'll talk to my Chain of Command and see what I can come up with.  They have a KD range out to 5 or 600 meters, multiple 25 meter ranges, etc...
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

sparks1

I see I should have checked in here. New and just heard of Appleseed. What a great idea. Can't wait to go to Winona to see first hand.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

AFTERMATH

Let me be the first to say welcome aboard! O0
And congratulations on taking thes first step towards becoming a Rifleman. O0

It's great to see another member from MN!  We don't have too many yet, but we will.
I can't wait to see what the future has in-store for Appleseed in MN, and the Nation.

Winona should be a fantasic Appleseed, on such a historic weekend as well.

Now step into rank, grab a bucket and start bailing. :)
With a little persistance and hard work, soon we may catch up to California! ;)

I look forward to seeing you on the Appleseed Trail.

rock-chucker

Hi all:

I just checked in to see what was happening in my "home state".  I am very happy to see so much enthusiasm and energy building back there.  Fantastic!

I'm originally from Minneapolis, but live in CA.  I am very proud of what we are doing out here, but like what Aftermath said about MN catching up with CA.  More power to you!  I

I am hoping you can get a shoot closer to the Twin Cities (preferably to the North), as I do have a few friends and family members out there I would love to see attend shoots and get on board with our noble cause.  They are generally between the Twin Cities and Pine City (70 miles to the North). 

I would be proud to help out with instructing or shoot-bossing, should you need it; and continue to prime and recruit friends and family to attend Appleseeds. 

Keep up the good work, guys!

Rock-Chucker

Oohrah

Hi All,
Glad Minnesota is still on the map.   Edina High class of 58 had their class
reunion this year and I missed it.  Used to hunt and fish where all the neat
houses have been built,  It's hard to picture there are difficulties finding a
place to shoot.  Live as far west as you can go without having to swim.
Pacific Ocean.  Not many people, and seldom see snow except for this year.
Two days and it was gone O0  Really miss the snow removal by hand %)

Sven

Hi all,

I posted to another thread in this forum but just in case this is the official sign up page here I am.  I live in the Twin Cities and am a member of the Oakdale Gun Club and mostly a pistol shooter.  I've got some rifles and am an NRA pistol instructor, retired Army Natl Guard Infantry/Artillery officer and have an intense interest in things that go boom.  Let me know how I can help.
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

vmt193

Welcome aboard Sven!

Our main mission right now is searching for ranges and/or private property where we can hold more Appleseeds. We currently have two on the schedule at the Winona Sportsman's Club. The April 18-19 shoot sold out early but there's another one in coming in September. We're working on several other locations but can always use more.

Keep your eyes open, we'll be posting info on our first Metro area Appleseed very shortly. This shoot is Whisker's baby and he just got approval from the club, so as soon as details are finalized there will be an announcement right here. I expect this one to fill fairly quick also. Minnesotans have shown they are ready and eager to step up to Appleseed and I have a list of names just waiting to be notified of upcoming shoots.

I encourage you to sign up and attend an Appleseed. That will give you the experience you need to be able to answer all the questions that the folks at the Oakdale Gun Club are going to ask you when you make a proposal to them that they host an Appleseed shoot. O0

vmt193
MN State Coordinator

dragonfly

Hey Minnesota; dragonfly checking in, another border to sneak across. With all the Appleseed's sprouting up in MN IL and WI we won't have to drive much at all. I better check with Iowa I'm sure they have a border I can sneak across too. See you on the trail.
dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

AFTERMATH

Thanks for stopping by, Dragonfly.  ;D::)

When you're sneaking accross the boarder, be sure you are in full RWVA dress, otherwise I cannot guarentee your saftey. ;)
Otherwise, if the vikings fans don't get you, the mosquitos surely will. ;D
Better yet; where some Packers appearal on the front side, and some RWVA stuff on the other.  That way as they're chasing after you, they'll see the Appleseed stuff, and maybe reallize football really isn't that important.  They will then decide to grow some Apple orchards! ;D

Did you sign on for Elk River yet?

With this being a national situation, we are glad to welcome you to Minnesota-'Land of 10,000 Appleseeds!'

selectivefocus

Jason checking in. I live in Monticello at the moment. I attended the AS in Elk River this last weekend and am officially hooked.

tc95gt

Greg here. I live in the metro and was at the Elk River AS too. Still a cook for now.
.....must........make..........Rifleman.

Whisker

Hello tc95gt and selectivefocus.  Good to have a few more pixelated people to populate the Minnesota threads.

Sparks1 suggested we send some thank you emails to Elk River Sportsman's Club.  Great idea.  contact@ersportsman.com   

Is anyone on this board a member of the Elk River Sportsman's Club?  I'd like to discuss setting up another shoot for the summer.

What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

FiremanBill

Hi Folks,

Just a Buckeye checking in.

Will you have any shoots near Minneapolis yet this year?  Trying to find one fairly close for my son to attend. 

Are any of you in the Twin Cities area?  EEven if no shoots close by, would love to visit when I drive up to Minneapolis later this year.

Thanks,
FiremanBill
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it."
Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Jack Ryan for President!

CQ CQ CQ de N8NRT.....

vmt193

FiremanBill

There's nothing on the schedule yet. The only one is in Winona in Sept. but keep checking, we're working on more.

vmt193

TheDud

Nothing since May!?!

A proud denizen of "da nort woods" checking in.  I just did an AS down in Kansas while visiting family, and am psyched about bringing one to the Northland, in the Duluth area.

I figure if I'm going to make rifleman, I may as well bring a few friends along for the ride :)

AFTERMATH

Welcome!
I look forward to meeting you at an Appleseed!
Definately, bring as many friends as you can.
I'm working on a range in Hinckley....So, keep an eye out for that one!