News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Three Forks MT may 4,5 2013

Started by Mark Davis, May 05, 2013, 01:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

10 preregistered and all 10 showed up, 1 new rifleman as of Sat.
Several were pretty skilled with rifles, but not in the appleseed way, using the sling, follow through, mag changes. Shooters who shot the redcoat well needed time to digest new rifle techniques.
Hope to have 7 back on Sunday.

bru

Here's a pic of our new Rifleman.  His bride was REALLY close to making rifleman as well. 
It was a good shoot and a great weekend of typical Montana weather -- Wind-burned on Saturday; Sun-burned on Sunday.
"Our friends show us what we can do; our enemies teach us what we must do"  -Goethe

Kaiser Leib

You know, someday, I'm gonna make it to a shoot at Three Forks.
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
-Edmund Burke

I would prefer a rope of sand to shackles of iron.

Mark Davis

Day two, six shooters on the line.
The four tasks of real distance riflery were presented and shooters had an oppertunity to fire at steel gongs, the 1000 yard gong gave excellent illistration of wind effect on bullet flight.

BEEMER compleated his instructor progress check and is now a RED hat instructor.

Necee

^:)^  Way to go Beemer!!   Looks like a great weekend.... miss our 'home range'   :'(  Congrats to new rifleman!!

Carlson

mtmisfit

Quote from: Mark Davis on May 07, 2013, 12:56:28 PM

The four tasks of real distance riflery were presented and shooters had an oppertunity to fire at steel gongs, the 1000 yard gong gave excellent illistration of wind effect on bullet flight.

The 1000 yd gong also provided a lesson on the limitations of 7.62 147gr NATO ball ammo. The 600 yd gong was regularly hit with the 4 moa ammunition. The 1000 yd gong was immune from hits due to the dispersion of the bullets.  Given enough time and ammo I'm sure a hit would have been scored but as it was the bullets struck all around it.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."

mtmisfit

I had an instructor challenge this weekend. I try to avoid handing off a shooter to another coach, I have my reasons but that's not the challenge here. I had a young lady who showed promise, had a great attitude even admitted to being a bit of a perfectionist. The challenge was her clothing, so much so that I was getting frustrated trying to get her into a solid position. She fidgeted her position, kept sliding off target and generally was having trouble. Being a novice she didn't even know it was an issue.

Long story short, after trying to get a rifle that fit and find a stable position for her Mark discovered she was cross dominant. Unfortunately that was on Sunday. A switch to shooting dominant eye side and her groups improved and some of the fidgeting went away.

I was so focused on getting her into a solid shooting position I missed all the clues. Her comments about not seeing the reticle in the scope, about it going black and moving around. The tinted shooting glasses that didn't let me see her eyes while she was shooting didn't help, but in the end I failed that young lady.

Clothing observations: I think some guidelines on what to wear besides "dress for the weather" are in order if we expect our shooters to do well.

Slippery fabric is not good.  It may be OK for pistol shooting but for rifle and shotgun it doesn't work. You can't hold a solid position if the rifle keeps slipping down your shoulder. Nylon, polyester, etc.

Stretchy fabric is not good.  It may allow you to get down into a position but it also stretches and moves when you try to lock your arms down on your legs in sitting. Sweat pants, yoga pants, etc.

Down filled ski jackets; sling, position, everything......

Durable clothing that will stay put and have some bite are good. Denim or canvas, jeans work well.

Long sleeve shirt is advised if you're not wearing a coat. To protect from hot brass as much as the elements.

Closed-toe shoes.
"Count it the greatest sin to prefer life to honor, and for the sake of living to lose what makes life worth having."

"Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

".. You MUST learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself..."

"central planning cannot work because it is trying to substitute an individual all-knowing intelligence for a distributed and fragmented system of localized but connected knowledge."

"Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit and wisdom to do their job properly."