News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

scope powers

Started by MOLON LABE, April 28, 2013, 06:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOLON LABE

Looking for some advice. I found a 10/22 new at 111 guns in Louisville for $204.00 So I couldn't pass it up..... went to the new cabela's and found the exact stock I have on my iron sights 10/22 (blackhack axxom R/F) so now I have two identical rifles - so I can bring a friend along to the appleseeds - but I am having trouble on deciding what power scope to place on the rifle.... i have tinkered with a 3-9 and a straight 4x... a 4-16 seems a bit much.... even considered a red dot... not sure if that will allow the accuracy needed... smallest dot I can find that I can justify putting on a 10/22 is a 4MOA - which is the absolute maximum that a rifleman can shoot... any suggestions or free samples?
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." -- Captain John Parker, 1775

Mudcat

I have had good luck with the 3-9x32 22mag Simmons, all my LTRs use them. They are a pretty durable and cheap scope. I have tried the Bushnels and they did not hold up very long. The Nikon P22 may be an option as well. I'm sure there are many that people have tried and work but when I set up a scoped LTR for a shooter or even for myself I always go with the Simmons, I have never had to send one back for service. That is something in my book as I have seen many scopes fail over the years.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

jmdavis

4x, 2-7, or 3-9 are all good. I have gone with the 4x and the 2-7 for hunting 22's. I have LTR's with both tech sights and a 4x. Just make sure that you get a scope for rimfire so that you have your parallax at 50 or 75 yards rather than 150.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Andre

I have a Simmons 3-9 with an adjustable objective on my 10/22 that has served me (and students) well.  I had a 4x on it for a while but it DEMANDED that you have a repeatable cheek weld (parallax issue), so I went back to the Simmons (even though two students shot Rifleman on the same weekend with the 4x). 

dond

I have a Cabela's 2-7 scope on all four of my LTRs. They have recently gone up in price to about $80, which is comparable to Tech-Sights. They are not rimfire scopes, and I am really pleased with them. They have made many Riflemen.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Charles McKinley

I have a Leupold 2-7 that I really like.  I can see holes a 2x at 25M
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/rimfireultralight-riflescopes/vx-1-rimfire-2-7x28mm/
Street price is lower than what is listed on the site.

Edheler recomends the fixed 4x Nikon.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-4x32-rimfire-scope-matte-nikoplex.html

The big thing is the extended mount to get it far enough away from your eye for eye relief  I recommend the EGW Edheler recommends the Volquertsan (sp?).

http://www.egwguns.com/ruger/ruger-10-22-picatinny-rail-scope-mount/
I have the 0 degree one if you want to shoot 200 yards 20 degrees.

Here is a decent overview of what is out there
http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_rimfire_riflescopes.htm
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Transform

I have the same scope as Mudcat. However, why do you want to add a scope instead of iron sights?

Quote from: MOLON LABE on April 28, 2013, 06:29:11 PM
and found the exact stock I have on my iron sights 10/22 (blackhack axxom R/F) so now I have two identical rifles

Since a scope is generally mounted higher than iron sights, and you have the same stock on each rifle, you will probably need to build up the comb in order to get a proper cheek weld with a scope.

slim

I bought a cheap 4x Tasco rimfire from Walmart for $7. It's awesome! Plus, I don't worry about it getting broken or falling off because it's not expensive. It's light, clear, and just fine for rimfire work.

Charles McKinley

Red dot- 6 o'clock hold.  I hear cheap dots eat batteries.

PS my high score is with a bolt that came with the ugliest cheap small 4x scope you can imagine but it shoots!  I loan it to kids all the time as it is on a Mossberg half-pint and like Slim says you don't worry about it getting broken.  Gun with scope out the door $132.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

MOLON LABE

transform: I have tech sights on one and I want to have another with  a scope - I have two identical ruger scouts - 1 with  irons and 1 with a 4x scope - both I use for hunting but for differant applications - I want the same theory of training on my 10/22. It is more have a "want" and a "means" issue V. a "need" issue.

Wow guys you all gave me a lot of homework to do before the end of May.... Thank you all for the responses.
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." -- Captain John Parker, 1775

Edheler

Quote from: Stand on April 28, 2013, 10:33:14 PM
Edheler recomends the fixed 4x Nikon.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-4x32-rimfire-scope-matte-nikoplex.html

The big thing is the extended mount to get it far enough away from your eye for eye relief  I recommend the EGW Edheler recommends the Volquertsan (sp?).

You only really need the Volquartsen extended mount if you have a long neck like me. The Nikon has an excellent range of eye-relief available.

George63

Ideally some thing with adjustable objective that goes down to 25 yds - both rings can be mounted behind the turret to get the scope far enough forward

Josey Wales

.For scoped LTR I use Nikon Prostaff 4x..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Transform

Quote from: MOLON LABE on April 29, 2013, 12:28:07 AM
transform: I have tech sights on one and I want to have another with  a scope - I have two identical ruger scouts - 1 with  irons and 1 with a 4x scope - both I use for hunting but for differant applications - I want the same theory of training on my 10/22.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure you realized that you're probably going to have to adjust the comb height and eye relief differently for the two different sighting systems. Good luck with your build and let us know how it turns out!