News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Fredericksburg, TX April 20-21, 2013

Started by dragit, April 23, 2013, 08:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragit

Another wind-burned face from Davilla-like winds in Fbg. 

Thank you to Everett for filling the line with his work buddies one of whom shot a Rifleman's score (Thomas).  His family also came out Sat. and spent the day with us. 

Our other Rifleman score came from Robert on his second try.  Once we figured out his rifle liked CCI better than Aguila his next AQT was the winner.  I think his Air Force unit was impressed by his first visit and may be coming out to Fbg (or we may be going to them) in the future.

Brenndan, Sean, Caroline and Hunter were youths who persisted this weekend.  Thank you to their parents for bringing them out.

Thanks to the Fbg crew for making my job easier and I will see you in the merry month of Maying.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Two Wolves

:pop:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

:pop:  :pop:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Pistolgrip

This was a great weekend...Much improvement by shooters...Thanks to Tommy and Everett for imparting wisdom to IITs...and for Rodger making it happen.      :cool2:
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ~ Mark Twain

zonkertx

Awesome shoot!  Thanks to all who came out and worked hard in the wind and dust to improve their skills.

Looks like I will "stack the deck" with even more coworkers in May.   >:D

Awesome photography as usual, Two Wolves.  I don't even bother snapping my crummy Blackberry pix anymore.

TheLoudTalker

This was an outstanding event! I had heard about Appleseed through my coworkers and began researching the program. Earlier this year The Outdoor Channel ran a great feature on the program  on its show "Shooting Gallery." I showed it to the family and it was a no-brainer.

Kudos to the campers there that were blessed with the coldest April 20th on record in Texas. :)

Anyone reading this should attend an event. The history and camaraderie alone are worth the time, the shooting is a bonus. My 10yr-old son enjoyed the quality father/son time, it is always great to be included with "the guys" at that age. The instructors were great, especially when working with the kids. True positive reinforcement, caring guidance and plenty of patience.

When I asked how he would describe the weekend he said, "what's a good word for stressful but fun?"  ;D For us the only reason there was any tension at all had nothing to do with Appleseed, it was due to equipment problems. We were experiencing ammo failures (Armicor, made in the Philippines), I had 3-4 rounds explode in the chamber. The major annoyance was frequent jams for both of us. (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxjIwRVEXM)  Since the tests are timed, these wreak havoc on test scores. We both were shooting Marlin 795's that were brand new. Prior to the weekend they had seen maybe 50 rounds each  We went through well over 300 rounds at the event, Everett suggested that we dry fire the heck out of these at home to break in the action.   

I found this video of how to fix the problem, it's apparently just a matter of polishing the feed ramp, which I will be attempting as soon as I find the hex tool needed to open it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0B-CgJBumM

For the first timer, be sure to search for a good Appleseed checklist of what to bring. Elbow pads really helped on the second day. I would forget about bringing a tarp or moving blanket to use, both move too easily with any wind gusts (and we had plenty of that going on). Stick with carpet remnants, they are heavy enough to stay put. Check in advance to see if the instructors will have them at your location. Fberg was well stocked.

Again, it was a great time. I will be there next month with my daughter. Gotta pay it forward!  Thanks everyone for helping to create awesome family memories.
My slogan: Emotion is the enemy of critical thought.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams

TheLoudTalker

Some pics from my iPhone. Wish I had recorded video of the ball game on Sunday. That was fun!
My slogan: Emotion is the enemy of critical thought.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams

drip drop

Good shoot, all. 

I was particularly impressed by the enthusiasm and wherewithal of the younger shooters.  I'm also still thinking about that memorial volley, as somehow that drives the message home.  Our history is powerful stuff.

I'm looking forward to next time!

Transform

Quote from: TheLoudTalker on April 24, 2013, 01:09:04 PM
Everett suggested that we dry fire the heck out of these at home to break in the action.   

Most modern .22s can be dry-fired, but the Marlin 795 should not be dry-fired without using .22 snap caps.