News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak AK April 20, 21 2013

Started by ItsanSKS, April 23, 2013, 05:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

Saturday, April 20th.  Nearly one hundred events nationwide, some untold thousands of Americans gathering together to honor the sacrifices made on April 19th, 1775.  In Chugiak Alaska, thirty souls, from all walks of life, showed up to pay respects to the traditions and heritage that we all share. 

I am honored to have been able to spend this weekend with you all.  The determination that you each showed in the face of adversity is one of the defining characteristics of what it means to be an American, and it was exhibited by all of you in spades this weekend.

I would like to extend my utmost gratitude to the Birchwood Recreation and Shooting Park staff, who undertook great effort to ensure the safety and well being of all in attendance. 

I'd also like to thank my fellow instructors:
ThaiFighter, who flew all the way from sunny North Carolina, expecting to get frozen, but ended up sunburnt instead.
fischerDawg, who brought *tons* of loaner gear, and made sure everyone stayed warm by providing propane space heaters.
Taka222, who kept a close, watchful eye on all shooters, ensuring that everyone was being safe.
Gray Bird, whose patience with some of our younger students was quite impressive.
Vacquero, who ably backed me up when my voice began to fail.
and last but not least, EagleRiver, who worked diligently with a number of our students, and was rewarded by greatly improved marksmanship.

I couldn't have done it without you guys (and gal), and you all have my eternal thanks.  You each represent what is great about this program, and this country. Taking time away from family, hearth and home, volunteering to spread the ideals and traditions of the founding generation; I'm proud to know and work with each of you. 

Now, how about some pictures?!  (sorry I don't have more, but hopefully others took some, and can fill in the blanks)

Mid-afternoon on Saturday, the temps warmed up (briefly), as ThaiFighter described the retreat of the Regulars from Lexington back to Boston:

Clarissa shows off her left-handed seated position.  Being right handed, but left eye dominant is a perpetual struggle for some, but she took to shooting left-handed like a fish in water!:

Heather demonstrates the proper kneeling position:

One of our youngest shooters demonstrates the prone (supported) position:

Another shot of ThaiFighter presenting the Third Strike, to a rapt audience:

On Sunday afternoon, our shooters enjoyed a much-deserved break from the action, while learning about differences (and similarities) of shooting out to 500 yards:

These youngsters earned the respect of every adult on the line, through their determination and persistence; their attentiveness and willingness to tough it out were rewarded with the Project Appleseed Young Patriot Patch, and a hearty round of applause:

The Appleseed Qualification Test (AQT) is a rigorous, demanding course of fire; designed to test the shooter on every aspect of the instruction that we teach.  A passing grade is a 210 out of a possible 250 points.  To say it's tough is an understatement of epic proportions.  "MountainGoat1980" last attended an Appleseed event back in 2012; stymied by car troubles on his way to our last event in October, he's been practicing through the long Alaskan winter.  His practice paid off, with a by-the-skin-of-his-teeth score of 211/250 on the last AQT of the day.  Here we catch our newest rifleman by surprise, waiting until the event was over to let him know he had made the score:

(blurry) pic of new Rifleman receiving his much-deserved WinterSeed patch:

Having surmounted the challenge of the AQT, MountainGoat1980 accepted the next challenge placed in front of him, and graciously accepted the Orange Hat of Instructor-In-Training (with only minimal arm-twisting, I might add):

I'd like to reiterate my thanks to all who attended this event.  Were it not for you, we instructors would have simply spent the weekend at the range.  Your enthusiasm for not only the marksmanship instruction, but also the history and heritage, gives us hope, and makes all of our own personal sacrifices worth it. 

For those who didn't shoot quite as well as you'd hoped, don't despair- you've nothing to be ashamed of, unless you quit.  Everyone starts somewhere, and making an expert score isn't easy.  It'll take time, persistence, perseverance, and a never-say-die attitude, but I know that each of you can do it; after all, you're Americans. 

If you took pictures this weekend, please feel free to post them up here.  If you'd like a copy of one of the pictures I've posted, drop me a note with your email, and I'll send you the original.  We love to hear from our students, both good and bad, so please feel free to post those too!

In Liberty,

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

fisherdawg

To each and every one of our participants:  It was my pleasure and my honor to work with you this weekend.  You have my admiration for your dedication to work through ice, snow, mud, sun and cold to improve your marksmanship and learn our shared heritage.  It is this dedication that will ensure we pass this heritage "entire to succeeding generations." Please join us for future events and spread the word.  With persistance and practice you can be Rifleman.

To Chad:  Way to go, Rifleman!!

To my fellow Alaska IIT's: I just don't have the words to express the respect & admiration I have for you.

To Wiley: thanks for coming all that way.  You taught me much more than you know.

To Eric: Anything I post will fall so far short of what I should say.  Instead I will simply say thank you for upholding the highest ideals of Appleseed & RWVA.
Wally
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

ItsanSKS

Just a gentle reminder, the June 8,9 event is already starting to fill up.  If you'd like to continue honing your marksmanship skills, please do not delay!  Our events in Alaska sell out quickly....   Link to registration: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5869430625
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

mountaingoat1980

Well, Regina & I made it home safe and sound, my head hit the pillow at 2 a.m.  Long weekend but it was well worth it.  I enjoyed the experience & getting to see you all again.  I am looking forward to learning more, improving, & helping to spread the word about Appleseed.  Thanks to all of you for making it so enjoyable & I look forward to seeing you at many more future events!

dreamerofdreams

Looks like you guys had an awesome shoot!  I'm still impatiently waiting for Uncle Sam to send us home to the Last Frontier!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

ThaiFighter

It was indeed an awesome shoot!

I am humbled to have had the opportunity to work with so many great people.    I was sure we'd lose at least half of our shooters after the conditions the first day.   Much to my pleasant surprise they ALL returned except for one that had to take good care of the children.  These shooters displayed true grit that bespoke their pedigree as Americans and Alaskans.

Chad - congrats on your score and even more on taking the hat.   You are about to learn more about shooting, history and people than you ever thought possible...

If you think you drank from the firehose out on the line,  instructing is drinking from a pipeline...

Matt -  right on the cusp,  some dry fire practice and mental prep for each of the steps of each stage of the AQT and you are there with that bolt gun of yours.   I will be right proud when you get there.

Regina - was a pleasure to work with your and your husband.  Work on getting that elbow all the way under the rifle and perfecting that trigger work and you will be following Matt up with a patch of your own.  Dry fire! Dry Fire! Dry Fire!  practice makes for consistency and consistency is key for shooting well.  You've got your own personal instructor now.

Tim-  watching you get out there and make the hits count was a pleasure.   I hope I can keep up with you when we share a line.

Clarissa and Rhonda - such a pleasure to watch the two of you persevere through equipment frustrations.   Once we got Clarissa settled in and tuned with a rifle that was behaving it was a joy to watch her make some hits.  I have no doubt that with some effort to learn your equipment and practice with your fundamentals, you will both be crack shots.

Danny - I still don't know how you aren't wearing a patch.  There may be a flaw in your fundamentals, but I was having a very hard time spotting it.   Dry fire practice is key at the point you have reached.

Alex - your fundamentals formed up well.  I could see improvements in your breathing and trigger squeeze as you progressed through Sunday.   Quick!  Which steps to firing the shot are those???

THanks to the whole of the Alaska crew for being so welcoming and considerate.  You are a fantastic bunch and I expect we will see great things from you as you set the bar for the nation.   HUZZAH!!!!

Pls PM me with your contact info as well. I have pics to share.

Hope to see you all again soon!

W

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

DirtDiver

Thank you instructors and fellow students for a very fun and knowledgable Appleseed!
I had a great time learning heritage and marksmanship, and look forward to the June event.
Hope to see everyone there again!

-Gary

svrabel

A great weekend in Alaska:
The party I took to Appleseed this weekend was worn out, but thrilled.

There were 11 of us.  We'd like to know how we can send our sincerest thanks to all the instructors and range boss.  We all felt welcome and were NEVER  treated as idiots - even when we accidentally violated safety - correction was firm but gentle and from the youngest (9) to the oldest (70) all were treated with respect and encouragement.

Having been a teacher/instructor myself for 35 years, I think I can judge effective technique.  It is here in our great State via the Appleseed folks.  Great members.

If possible we'd love to send personal thanks to each and every instructor.

Thank you.

Steve Vrabel, Eagle River, Alaska

fisherdawg

Steve,
Now that you are signed up on the Forum you can send a personal & private message ('PM') to each Instructor via the "My Messages" link at the top of this page.  The "To" field will auto search as you type in the first letters of the each instructor's forum name:
fisherdawg = Wally
Itsasks = Eric
Thaifighter = Willey
eagleriver = Chris
vaquero = Bill
Gray Bird = Ryan
Taka222 = Mel
Thank you for bring your crew out. I hope to see all of you again -- remember with some persistance and effort each one can earn that Rifleman patch. I'm looking forward to being there when you do.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Taka222

I apologize for my tardiness in replying to this thread - I have no excuse.  :-[

I was very, VERY impressed with everyone single student that came out last weekend, and as fisherdawg said, anything I post with fall so far short of what I should say. How about I just use the pictures instead?  ;)

I hope to see all of you in June!
PREPAREDNESS - "When you need it and don't have it, you will sing a different tune." Burt Gummer

NHale

What's all that white stuff on the ground? Can't be sand, not enough bugs in it.
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

fisherdawg

Taka,
Nice photos, thanks!
fisherdawg