News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Raton, New Mexico National Rifle Association Whittington Center April 20-21,2013

Started by TaosGlock, April 23, 2013, 12:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaosGlock

What a glorious weekend this was. Patriot's Day was honored once again at the NRAWC, hosted by Project Appleseed.
This celebrates our 6th year at this location.

16 of America's finest showed up to learn of the events that happened on April 19, 1775. The day our Nation was born.
And of course we taught the fundamentals of precision marksmanship.

BlueFeather (Gillian)/SB with 6 Riflemen (shooters who score "Expert"/210 or better on the AQT-Army Qualification Test).  2 sets of fathers and sons and 2 new shooters.
A whopping 38% of the shooters! Most of the rest of the group were knocking on the  "Rifleman's " door and we saw some of the highest scores to date on those pesky Red Coats!
Great job to all you shooters!

More later when we get unpacked.....

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Jones

This weekends shoot could not have gone better. The shooters who attended this Appleseed event were incredible! They soaked up all of the information the instructors had to offer.

There was one shooter in particular who stood out among the rest. This event was his first Appleseed AND his first time shooting a rifle. He payed close attention to the instruction, asked questions, applied what he had learned and scored a Rifleman on the secon day.

This gentleman was thought he would stay between the 150-170 score range. Boy was he wrong! He scored over 210.

When I scored his AQT and showed him that he scored a Rifleman his face lit up. The rest of the second day he was nothing but smiles. The joy and confidence that showed after shooting a Rifleman made me feel so happy inside.

Events like the Appleseed this weekend and the amazing experiences that come out of them are exactly why I decided to commit myself to this program. Words cannot express the happiness I feel from this shoot.

Thank you to all of the instructors who participated in this event. You all had so much to offer in helping me become a better IIT. I always learn so much both from the staff and the students. I am excited for the next event and can't wait to work with all of you again!

TaosGlock

Instruction:

Loop sling, Dan & Gillian (TaosGlock and BlueFeather).
A sling is one of the primary tools of the Rifleman. It steadies the rifle for faster, more accurate and consistent shooting.
We use and recommend the simple GI loop sling. One of Uncle Sam's best inventions.

Kneeling, Dutch-sarducci and BlueFeather:

Seated, David (NMMI9100) and BlueFeather:

Prone during prep. CaptWa-Warren in foreground.

Prone with Kaleb (Jones) coaching:

NMMI9100 coaching:

IMC on the line by David- NMMI9100:

NPOA-Natural Point of Aim,  Where the rifle naturally wants to shoot. Do you know how to find your NPOA, place it on target and then trust it?
Come to an Appleseed to find out! (TaosGlock)-Dan, Gillian (BlueFeather) instruct NPOA with a demo stocked mounted laser:

Standing:

Standing during prep:

more later...

Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

The unique aspect of Project Appleseed is the story of April, 19th, 1775. That was the day our Nation was born.
It was born on the principles of effective marksmanship starting predominately at Concord's North Bridge.

As (Warren) CaptWa reminds us, Paul Revere alerted the local's with his cry, "Turn Out, Turn out, the Regulars are out!"

The Regulars are indeed out, in target form of course:

Flags of our Founders. These flags represent the blood shed for the freedoms we enjoy today.
On April 19th, 1775 words like "Don't Tread on Me" were not just popular slogans bandied about like 21st century bumper stickers.
These words defined a code which helped define the American Revolution. This is not the same a the Revolutionary War according to John Adams. Do you know the difference?  Come to an Appleseed to find out!

Our Partiot's Day Volley was held 2PM Sat. All Appleseeds nationwide participated.  This nationwide volley represented the the largest coordinated firing line in the world.
Ours was shot at 100 yards and we divided the firing line into 5 teams. Rifles from M1A's, AR's to 22LR's (mostly) were used.

100 yards with a 22. Where are those bullet holes?

The winning group. Parker's Revenge indeed! Do you know the story of Parker's Revenge?

Even the instructors shot.
But just look at that line of shooters! Our Founders would be proud Project Appleseed is carrying on a tradition of marksmanship and heritage.
Here the Shoot Boss, BlueFeather (Gillian) wrings out a Glen Nelson made M1A built around an 1980 SA receiver with an Obermeyer 5R barrel.
Get that sling up higher on your arm BlueFeather!

I shot my 1965 Rem Nylon 66, twh731 shot an M1 Garand and CaptWa and sarducci shot M1A's
NMMI9100 called the line in style.
We fired 13 shots that represented 13 folks for 13 colonies, (there were many folks who died that day)  who died in the creation of a new nation.
We fired an extra 14th round for the victims of the Boston bombing a few days previous.

TaosGlock

At the target line shooters ask the question, "How big is my group and where is my group?"
Later, they learn to analyze their groups more closely.

Shoot Boss-BlueFeather and Line Boss-NMMI9100 (both in red sweatshirts) have a plan to build rifleman.
And to keep a watchful eye out for any wildlife that wanders on the range...like elk!
twh731 keeps tab on the east end of the line.

Mother/Daughter, winner of Sundays 100 yard team shoot. Each got "Shoot like a Girl" hats and proudly display them.

Our youngest Appleseed shooters! Our posterity. One day their "generation" will run our great Country.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."― John Adams

Project Appleseed will never let the message of our Founders nor their sacrifices be lost!

TaosGlock

Shooters did reviews on Sun. "Learn today teach tomorrow" is one of our motto's.
Great job too guys! O0 O0

TaosGlock

twh731 on the target line helping shooters analyze targets.

Father/son: Right side:David-NMMI9100 and Walker, our youngest shooter on the left.

A huge dust devil came thru and nearly wiped out the last few rifles on the west end. After a cleaning and lube they were ready to go again.
One of the first duties of a Rifleman is to take care of his rifle.

TaosGlock

A huge thanks to all the shooters who took time off from their daily lives to get re-acquainted with their heritage and learn/refresh the fundamentals of precision marksmanship.

A big thanks to my all volunteer instructor crew who worked tirelessly to assist this event.

A big thanks to the NRA Whittington Staff for the use of the prestigious Coors Range!

And a huge thanks to the Founders who shed blood and sacrificed their fames and fortunes so we could be free men and women.
May their flags fly proud and remind us always of this fact.
We will never forget!

Our next 2 day Appleseed is on August 24-25.
Our 3 day rifleman's long distance boot camps are on May 17-19 and Sept. 13-15.
Here is an AAR:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=29768.0

See you then!

Mastach00b

APPLESEED IS AWESOME! I learned so much there & had such a good time!  ;D It was my first time shooting a rifle. I had shot a pistol and handgun before at a range but that is it really. Everything I learned was and is really valuable. My favorite part of the Shoot is the history. It is refreshing to be around folks who have some respect our heritage and all the trials our ancestors endured to give us the life we experience today.

TaosGlock

Quote from: Mastach00b on April 29, 2013, 02:48:51 PM
APPLESEED IS AWESOME! I learned so much there & had such a good time!  ;D It was my first time shooting a rifle. I had shot a pistol and handgun before at a range but that is it really. Everything I learned was and is really valuable. My favorite part of the Shoot is the history. It is refreshing to be around folks who have some respect our heritage and all the trials our ancestors endured to give us the life we experience today.
We look forward to seeing you again and congrats on your Rifleman status!
It is our honor to do what we do!

Sarducci

TaosGlock and Jones have said it as i'm sure so will others who attended, but i don't think it can be overstated  :DH:: What an awesome group!!  ^:)^  :--- :--- :--- Paying attention and constant improvement led to 6 Riflemen and a record end Redcoat because there were no slackers present  :~ Everyone kept at it and scores just kept going up. I really think the Founders rest a bit easier because of the dedication of folks like we had this weekend. Huzzah!!!
The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  Thomas Jefferson

Ignorance is of a peculiar nature. Once dispelled it is impossible to re-establish it.  Thomas Paine

bnbpower

Thank you to all the instructors. My grandson and I had a wonderful time. The instructors took time to work with Trevor and get him on paper, thank you so much. The history lessons were very interesting, looking forward to learning more. I am having trouble with my eyes and sights but have moved to optics and hope to do better next time. I will see you on the 17th at the RBC.

twh731

We had typical northern NM weather...unpredictable, however, we had nontypical shooters!!!  I had the priviledge of having 4 family members at this particular AS.  My daughter even got her Rifleman patch!  Wow.  At her very first AS!!!.  My lovely wife was pushing the Rifleman envelope but couldn't quite get the last couple in there to button it up.  This was her second AS.  My brother and his wife were shooting fine and learning the drills at their first AS.  No doubt they'll all do the deed at the next AS.   Every one of the shooters on the line were a joy to work with.  Like beached sponges they soaked up every drop of instruction and put it down range.  An outstanding group of Americans who will now be able to apply the lessons learned at AS to everyday life for focus, centering, determination, patience and perseverance.  I heartily applaud them as well as the awesome AS staff and the Whittington Center for making a remarkable weekend a reality for all in attendance.  This will go down in New Mexico AS history as one of the finest!  Tom
Appleseed is history in the re-making!

nmmi9100

The Patriot's Day shoot at Raton was an absolute pleasure this year.  Great weather, excellent leadership, and most importantly, TEACHABLE ATTITUDES!

We had a great batch of students.  An amazing ratio of riflemen, father son riflemen, and lots of folks making massive improvements throughout the weekend.

It was priviledge to be there.  See you down the Appleseed Trail, my friends....!

-David