News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mariposa, CA Patriot's Weekend, April 20&21

Started by KP, April 23, 2013, 12:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KP

A total of seven shooters participated on Saturday.  We had competition from a Civil War Re-enactment just over the hill (we could hear the cannon fire...) and limited ammo availability.  But the weather was beautiful and the shooters were enthusiastic.  We had a marvelous day.

Six of the shooters were from the same family, a dad, two girls and three boys.  And they all had tube fed rifles!  Not whinin', just sayin'.  I must say, though, that these were the most attentive and polite youth ever.  It was a pleasure to instruct them.  They tried everything we suggested, and their groups did shrink considerably, but no riflemen on Saturday.

Our other shooter was a persistent lady of some age.  Since she could not do prone, she shot stages two, three and four from sitting.  She did do the transitions on stages two and three.  We tried a few things to shrink her groups, but had to conclude that her effective range was "only" 200 yards.

As an aside, I would like to see a patch for older shooters who will not be able to make rifleman due to infirmities, such as eyesight, joint issues, etc.

On Sunday we only had the one shooter of age, so my wife and I took turns shooting AQT's with her.  That gave my wife practice in calling the line.  We were also "testing" our loaner rifles.  Why is it that they malfunction much more when we loan them out than when we shoot them ourselves?

Our local club, the Mariposa Fish and Game Protective Association, served us lunch both days.  They drove out to the range, cooked hot dogs and  listened to the history during lunch.  Two bricks of .22 ammo was also supplied by the club for the youth shooters.  There is talk about getting four LTR's donated for youth shooters at Appleseed events.  They really believe in what the Appleseed Project is doing!

Ken Pritchett (KP), Shoot Boss