News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek, KY April 20-21, 2013

Started by spitfire51, April 22, 2013, 11:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitfire51

It was a cold and muddy start to our weekend on Saturday morning at the Knob Creek Gun Range.  But that didn't stop 19 dedicated shooters from gathering on the firing line to improve their skills and learn about their heritage.  After gauging their baseline skills on the redcoats, it was time to learn just how we do this whole marksmanship gig, with lessons on the six steps, steady hold factors, and the wonders of NPOA.  During lunch we began our history lessons, learning about the sacrifices our forefathers made at Lexington Green.  After lunch it was on to the standing and seated positions, which this group took on with gusto.  Then it was time for the highlight of the Patriots Day weekend, the 4:00 memorial volley, always a meaningful event no matter how many times I've been part of it before.  The day wrapped up with 2 AQTs and the promise of more to come the next day, followed by the conclusion of the story of April 19, 1775.

Sunday morning dawned a little bit warmer, the mud had started to dry up, and while somebody shot a big honkin' machine gun on the facility's main range, we hit the AQT grind.  By the end of the weekend 5 of our shooters had earned their Rifleman patches, and several others were so tantalizingly close I wish we could've made it a 3-day event.  Alas, the shoot had to end eventually, so we finished off by ringing the steel at 100 yards.

As I mentioned at the end of the day Sunday, this was my second time coming to work an event in Kentucky, and each time I leave thinking I had a fantastic weekend.  You all were a fine group to work with, thank you all for coming out and joining us.  I want to especially thank the kids, you all were a pleasure to have with us and you definitely earned your Appleseed youth patches.

Remember, dry fire practice at home is cheap and effective, and above all don't forget to get off the couch!
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Unbridled Liberty

Spit- thanks for coming from Indiana to help us out!  Five Riflemen!  HUZZAH!  Nicely done everyone!

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

MOLON LABE

Unbridled you were missed at KCR, but the 3 man squad that arrived were absolutly amazing. They guys taught as though they were firing on the regulars themselves. I have already paid for myself and a friend to be at the cave city shoot in May and I look forward to adding those 8 points to my score. I cannot rain enough praise on the IIT and instructors that made the weekend worth remembering.
"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry

"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." -- Captain John Parker, 1775

ChuckS

Quote from: MOLON LABE on April 23, 2013, 12:38:36 AM
I have already paid for myself and a friend to be at the cave city shoot in May and I look forward to adding those 8 points to my score.

Persistence! Excellent!

I'll see you in May at Cave City.

ChuckS

Gotta love kids coming out....

ChuckS

Ernie and his son Andy both shot Rifleman....

ChuckS

Steve (I think), Chod , and Tristan (picked up a patch and a hat!)

KyPilot

My thanks to the three brave instructors who showed great patience and knowledge as they challenged us throughout the weekend.  Many of us were disappointed in our scores but all of us improved. Now I can't wait for another Appleseed to finish my progress from the cook wagon to the front lines.
For those who have thought about going, JUST DO IT! :)  You will never know how good you can be until you try it.  My months of practice by myself produced far less skill improvement than these instructors gave me on the first day.
I assumed that I knew how to do this. I have had to qualify many times in the military with an M-16, but using a .22 rifle like the one I first learned to shoot over 50 years ago proved much more demanding and tougher!  Everything you have read about and practiced comes into sharper focus when you get onto the Appleseed firing line. (We also bring our bad habits)
One last note:  Have your rifle zeroed and completely reliable before you go.  There just isn't time to work on your rifle or to decide whether to go with a scope or tech sights after the training starts. You are just too busy.  Dry fire practice 2 or 3 times each week will pay off hugely, especially in the prone position.  I just couldn't keep the target visible through the scope for each prone cycle (my neck got tired).
This was a well run, terrific learning experience.  Everyone needs to come join us!