News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Colebrook, CT April 20-21, 2013

Started by TOMINCT, April 22, 2013, 10:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

A large number of Ct. residents showed for the big shoot at NWCSA this weekend. Wet conditions in the morning did not dampen the enthusiasm of those who participated. Although the wind picked up and attempted to move the range around it was still a beautiful day that netted some good scores later.

The am redcoat had a tally of 6 100, 7 200, 4 300, and 2 400 yard effective shooters to start. 7 nailed the shingle with one shooter cleaning it, an AS grad BTW. Nice!

Fundamentals were taught by various IT's thru lunchtime. CaptMac ran the first strike with the entire crew forward of the line, getting warm as the sun shone thru. More fundamentals and drills were run until 15 minutes before the volley.

We ran the attendees thru a short discourse on volley fire, had them dry fire it a few times during prep and went live at 4pm sharp. 29 attendees and two IT's took part. Huzzah!

The volley was followed by an intro to the AQT. Much of what was taught stuck as we got our Saturday only RM, Paul, with a 225. Huzzah! Paul had done 'seeds in the past but only for one day as his schedule permitted. That's doing it the tough way.

The evening redcoat ended up with a tally of 8 100, 3 200, 3 300, 6 400, and 9 shingle nailers, with 2 shooters cleaning it. Outstanding! Finished the day with the 3rd strike and requests to stretch and make ready for the next day.

Sunday began cold, as in 20 degrees less than the day before. 19 return shooters with some extra IIT's to help move things along. The morning redcoat received 4 100, 5 200, 2 300, 3 400 and 4 shingles hit. A great start.

We did a tune up, a couple more drills and commenced with AQTs. Some short stories of some of our forebear's commitment by reading the BBB sheet and talking of those who answered the call to uphold our Liberty and passed in the process.

The afternoon ran with the grind plus Jay Haich teaching of the KD segment and finishing with AQT's and the final redcoat with a hit total of 1 100, 3 200, 6 300, 2 400 and 5 shingles hit. This was from the 13 shooters left standing.

Our Sunday rifleman was Kevin, who fired a 213 in the afternoon. Ed, also a repeat customer was kicking , not knocking, on the door with a 200 with 6 saved rounds! It's in the cards Ed, no doubt!

All in all a very rewarding weekend, not just in the regular sense of running a successful shoot but in the number of IIT's that showed for Sunday, including davidgw1 who drove 3 hours to make it for one day! AND, several NEW faces will be seen in the future with 3 orange hat recipients, a blue hat and 2 more possibles. Wow, it's all that can be said right now.

A big thanks to the students a quite capable and teachable grew. Many of the IT corps commented on this, it made our jobs much easier. A huge thanks to the IT's that made it happen, and those who have stepped up. It can't happen without you, for sure.

Lastly, a big thanks to NWCSA for holding the event. They have been strong supporters of AS for some time and have 2 more shoots being held there this year. Also Paul, the rifle director, for manning the grill.

Pics should be coming soon as there were a few who took plenty of photos. Thanks all, Tominct.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Jay Haich

Just a few photos to show it did happen... more to follow tomorrow.

Sunday Morning Recap (oops camera time still on winter time, actually one hour earlier than indicated on all photos)

Wish I caught the rest of the dance steps... Tom was in fine form  >:D

Some folks talked about History and Heritage, another shot it (Great Grandfather's Winchester bolt action...)

Do we like what the Targets are telling us?

Excellent News! Look how the CT crew grew this weekend (Dave is an Honary CT member from RI).... this was Sun Afternoon.
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

garg

Huge thank you to you guys. My two sons were at Colebrook both days. It was their fist Appleseed, and they loved it. I was able to stay for a little while on Saturday and watch and listen. You guys are first class. I can't wait to do an Appleseed with my kids soon. Big thank you to Mr. H for helping to get my boys involved in this and helping with transportation. It was great to see their faces as they showed off their targets and told me about the events of April 19th 1775. My little guy said he learned more history about that day on Saturday, than in all of his history classes combined. Thank you for keeping the story alive.
"As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

cdesmarais

This was my 4th Appleseed - I am improving at each event and know that someday I will get that elusive 210 on the AQT.

Pat and I had a great weekend.

Candy O0
Candy

Jay Haich

Quote from: garg on April 22, 2013, 11:57:12 PM
Huge thank you to you guys. My two sons were at Colebrook both days. It was their fist Appleseed, and they loved it. I was able to stay for a little while on Saturday and watch and listen. You guys are first class. I can't wait to do an Appleseed with my kids soon. Big thank you to Mr. H for helping to get my boys involved in this and helping with transportation. It was great to see their faces as they showed off their targets and told me about the events of April 19th 1775. My little guy said he learned more history about that day on Saturday, than in all of his history classes combined. Thank you for keeping the story alive.

Greg,
Thanks for the feedback. Your boys wrote me personal "Thank You" notes and they are much appreciated. It was a pleasure to have them on the range this past weekend.
Regards
JH

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

TOMINCT

Yes, it was a great weekend throughout, with folks ranging in age from 12? to 60 something.

Hopefully there will be some more pics, I didn't get any as I know other worthies had done so.

Hope I don't have to start hunting them down. &)
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

AICIRTAP

I had a great time, thanks for inviting me to wear an Orange hat. I look forward to future events.   :)

edleit

Wow! Yet another great event. I'm looking forward to pushing the 205 (yeah, there was a double, not that it counts) over the edge at Pomfret in a couple weeks. And as I adjust to this new lens prescription  :cool2:, I promise I'll try not to cross-fire onto my neighbor's AQT!  :wb:

I've got to tell you, these 'Seeds are always a pleasure to attend. The Instructors and Volunteers are among the most giving people I have ever come to know. And it's always nice to make new friends on the line and off. There's something about having a common bond that just makes these weekends extra special.

Hope to see some of you in May!
Ed
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" — Edmund Burke

~Kathy

YEAH!!!   Another awesome Appleseed event. 
It was my best one yet - sure - but not good enuf - SO I still strive to be worthie
I did sign up for Hopewell Junction (I always sign up for another after coming home patchless!) and if Ed can stop shooting my targets I might actually have a chance of making Riflegal.  haha!!
I have learned precious skills from these dedicated people who give their time up to put on these events.  The stories of our history are more poignent than ever and I understand and appreciate the greater context.  I wish I could do an Appleseed every weekend!!!!
How did Metacon sell out in like 4 hours??  argh!!

Jay Haich

-Kathy,

Good to hear you will be at Hopewell Junction in June. Look forward to seeing you; as my wife and I will be attending. This will be Lynette's  first AS and I will shoot that weekend as well O0.

Be Safe
JH

Jay Haich

Quote from: TOMINCT on April 24, 2013, 02:34:19 PM
Hopefully there will be some more pics, I didn't get any as I know other worthies had done so.

Hope I don't have to start hunting them down. &)

OOOOOH, that scares me..... so here are more pics:

More photos below....

Jay Haich

Jay Haich

And more photos....

Congrats Rifleman Kevin

Welcome to our new hats

Seems like we are still missing photos of Riflemen.....

~Kathy

Quote from: Jay Haich on April 29, 2013, 02:48:27 PM
-Kathy,

Good to hear you will be at Hopewell Junction in June. Look forward to seeing you; as my wife and I will be attending. This will be Lynette's  first AS and I will shoot that weekend as well O0.

Be Safe
JH

I am quite looking forward to another Appleseed weekend.  They are always productive and inspiring to me, but this Colebrook really helped to revitalize me after this LONG winter.  I guess you are just bringing a sharpie and leaving that redhat at home?? ~ see you both there!!!!
Great photos btw!!!  Did not even notice I was so focused
cheers ~ Kathy

pacampora

I just wanted to send out a big thank you to all that helped me get my Rifleman. I never managed to make the combined two day event. But my third Saturday and I got it! I was pretty excited. You guys are the best. My kids had a great time too. Can't wait to make it to another event.
Thanks,
Paul

Jay Haich

Sorry for the delay, had issues getting this from a cell to the Forum.... but we persist:

Congrats Rifleman Paul!

B Safe
JH

edleit

JH, Nice job with the photos! A very well documented event, to be sure. Thanks for all your effort.
= Ed
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" — Edmund Burke

pacampora