News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pittsburg, KS Apr 20-21 - The Appleseed that almost wasn't - Fred shootbossed!

Started by Lomshek, April 22, 2013, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lomshek

We've had a serious problem getting instructors to make the drive and at the last second Fred let us know he would come out to the Midwest to keep our Patriot's Weekend AS alive. What a treat!

Here are a few photos and descriptions of the weekend. While I helped organize it with local AS coordinator johndeereboy24 I was only able to get a few photos Saturday early (since I had to work all day) then grabbed a few more on Sunday while helping work the line.

The firing line first thing in the AM while Fred is giving the safety briefing.
A few of the shooters helped me rig up a line of flags for the occasion.
Any errors in flag etiquette are mine.

The firing line in action.

Moving downrange to check targets!

Discussing our targets.

Dad & daughter looking over her VERY impressive 200 yard target with Fred looking on. I didn't get a picture but she put all 5 rounds in the 5 zone of the first target!

Fred telling us the history of the flags during the lunch break.

We had shooters bringing the usual mix of gear from iron sighted M4 Carbines, A2 rifles and tech sighted 10/22's to more exotic scoped 10/22's.
There were a few buckhorn sighted rifles too and one of our shooters who scored rifleman with an iron sighted M4 did it again later in the day with a buckhorn sighted 10/22 (it helps that his under-30 eyes see pretty well).

This shooter has scored Rifleman before and said he was trying to score a 250 with this super accurized 10/22 and the notoriously poor functioning Remington Golden Bullets because this gun would feed them flawlessly and he needed to get rid of them. He got over 240 a few times but am not sure if he hit 250.

We had some shooters go the minimalist route and others bring comfy foam pads for the day. A concrete pad makes for nice stable shooting but gets kind of hard by the end of a long day shooting.

Later in the day Fred took some of the shooters over to the 200 yard rifle range where they learned a little more about shooting at (some) distance. We had some 8" and 10" steel targets at the 200 yard line plus some full size redcoats and AQT targets shooters got some time on.

Just for giggles I broke out my 10/22 at 200 yards and found I needed about 5' of holdover. It was a challenge but I was able to score a good number of hits on the full size popper we had that far out and shot about a 14" group on paper using holdover. An A2 style elevation adjustable rear sight would be handy at that distance.

We had 24 shooters on day one then lost a few but gained more for Day 2. Pre-registration numbers were 10 which is typical for us with half or more of the shooters every time being walk-ons. I know it's a long haul but we really need shoot bosses to keep the tradition alive and give us a chance of getting more local instructors.

johndeereboy24

Fred thank you so much for making the time too come down to Kansas it meant so much to us down here. I'ed like to thank all the pertespess the weather was the best you could ask for.   
Shoot high miss high

Fred

Altho the AAR is mostly for the participants to give us feedback, I would like to point out that, from my viewpoint, we had an unusual bunch of "quality" people at this event. Everywhere I looked, I saw potential future instructors for this program! (And they are much needed, to help us set Kansas afire with liberty!)

The marksmanship ability was also much above average, especially as the event wore on, and shooters demonstrated they could really soak up the instruction and show it where it counts - on the targets!

Men, women, children - all made (in this instructor's opinion) substantial progress, to the extent that we had four new (and two returning) riflemen at this event.

I hope that one "takaway" from this weekend is that we need more Kansonians (is that the word?) turning out for Appleseed events, so that we can stop this ship we are on from sinking, and return it to the good shape it was in when the founders built it and passed it on to us, the posterity whose liberty they were fighting to protect.

Please help get the word out to your neighbors, co-workers, friends, family and relatives about future events at this nice location!

Thanks, all - and special thanks to johndeereboy24 and Lomshek for setting this event up and making it happen. O0

It's true what they say: If you want to be around nice people, quality Americans, people you might no longer think exist in this country - come to an Appleseed event!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Pitmaster

QuoteKansonians (is that the word?)

No, but Jayhawkers works. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Great turn out. Looks like everyone had a great time in my home state. I was born and spent the first 12 years of my life in Lawrence. I hope to attend an Appleseed event in Kansas. I do check the calendars and watch for visits and events to match or be close. My parents lived in Pittsburg for several years and I've been there often. Great little town of Patriots there.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

Lomshek

Kansans is the official term but Kansonians has a certain ring to it!

Bandit

Thanks for making the trip Fred, and thanks to Roger for all the work put in to make it happen.  I wish I could have stayed all of Sunday to try out the garand on the 200 yard range.  My wife, daughter, and I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.