News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Tulsa, Oklahoma April 20-21 AAR

Started by Scarecrow, April 22, 2013, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

After Action Report Tulsa April 2-21 2013

Release the hounds, let the posting begin.

SKSRifleman

I was honored to be apart of the 238th Anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord Appleseed Event this past weekend. I believe we had over 35 shooters come out and spend their weekend learning rifle marksmanship, their heritage, and their Liberty. Couldn't have asked for better weather too. This was the second event that I helped instruct as a new IIT Orange hat.

We had an excellent turn out Saturday. After the Redcoat and some squares, I could really tell that people were catching on quickly. I brought my Dad and my cousin out and noticed that their shooting improved greatly in a short amount of time. At 3:00 pm we had the whole line do a 13 shot volley in honor of the first 13 Patriots that sacrificed their lives on April 19, 1775. After that, we got busy shooting AQT's, with one shooter making Rifleman before the day was done.  :---

Sunday was a great day as well, people were really starting to get a handle of what we taught them in the short amount of time as their targets improved more and more each AQT. We managed to make another Rifleman Sunday too! In the afternoon, a few shooters and I with center fire rifles managed to get to the full distance range and shoot an AQT there which was awesome. I discovered that I have to practice and get acquainted a bit more with my M1A.  :cool2:

My Dad and my cousin just wanted to thank everyone who were involved in this event. This was their first Appleseed. They were both impressed on how professional the instructors were and knowledge they received. Both of them are itching to get that Rifleman patch so they said they will definitely be back! I just wanted to thank my mentors Daniel, Will, Tom, and Al for guiding me this weekend and keeping me on my toes. I came away with many things to think on as I journey to become a Red Hat. Thank you USSA for the beautiful range and facilities, hope we can make this a regular stop. See you all at Afton!
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

TomCat

Patriots
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."

TomCat

An excellent group of Patriots and shooters turned out.  I believe there were four shooters under the age of ten.  A half-value wind of 10-20 mph on both days was the only thing that kept the weather from being near perfect.  Everyone received instructions well, especially the Redhats. We are proud of all who attended, and hope to see everyone at Afton in June.

TomCat

We cannot adequately express how proud we are of this father/daughter team; 9 year-old Alex and her Dad.  They persisted all day, both days,  "eating dirt, and sweating bore solvent".  Though the instructors watched them closely, they required almost no help. Under Dads direction, Alex performed all the duties of a Rifleman herself. She prepped, loaded, fired, and made that rifle "Safe" all by herself!...while getting a lot of good hits.  Way to go, Alex and Dad!

TomCat

Our Riflemen of the weekend,  Wade and Mike, and their handsome instructors.  Wade qualified Saturday afternoon,  and Mike persisted until the next to last AQT on Sunday to join the ranks of Riflemen.  Good going at your first Appleseed, Wade and Mike!  We hope to see you in Afton,Ok in June to receive those Orange Hats!

Scarecrow

Well of course RHI receive instructions well.
A Rifleman never stops learning.  %)

Quote from: TomCat on April 23, 2013, 06:44:13 PM
An excellent group of Patriots and shooters turned out.  I believe there were four shooters under the age of ten.  A half-value wind of 10-20 mph on both days was the only thing that kept the weather from being near perfect. Everyone received instructions well, especially the Redhats. We are proud of all who attended, and hope to see everyone at Afton in June.

andychicken

I too thought this was an excellent weekend.  The students all appeared to have a very solid grasp, and dedication to, safety above all else.  Maybe part of that was because of me: as this was my first weekend doing Orange Hat duty, safety was my primary- and perhaps overboard (if that's possible)- focus the whole weekend.  I definitely learned a ton from hats both Orange and Red, and am glad to have made the next IIT level.   :)

Let's try to remember that if we get to have a shoot there at the 360 range again, that we have them set the targets nearer to the middle of the circle so that a) we can accommodate more targets/shooters, and b) don't require as much walking to/from the range.   :P

I do truly regret having to leave at lunchtime on Sunday.  I would've loved to see the second Rifleman awarding- not to mention getting a chance to shoot the real distances!  There's always Thunderbird range for that though, I suppose...   O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
~George Washington

andychicken

PS

That was totally awesome when Henschman demonstrated the hasty-sling, and when someone asked to see it in slow-motion, he actually DID it in slow motion.    :bow:

It motivated me to practice that in case that ever gets requested whenever I demo that move!   ;)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
~George Washington

Surveyor1653

I was honored to have my first shoot as an IIT be the April 19th shoot.  It was also pretty nice to have it at my home range.  I was happy to see so many young shooters in attendance.  It says a great deal about their parents that they were there.  Three of my regular training partners were present with their kids, sharing in the awakening that is the mission of Appleseed.  Kudos to all who persisted and to our two new Riflemen.  Congratulations, gents.

As with every Appleseed event where I was a shooter, I learned a great deal at this shoot as an IIT.  Seeing the line from this new perspective was an awakening.  I am thankful to our Red Hats and to the other IITs for their guidance.  Can't wait for the next shoot.
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court

k_riley

This was my second Appleseed and my last qualification to become and IIT.  As everyone has said, it was a great learning experience.  I'm looking forward to helping to teach and learn more.  The weekend couldn't have been more pleasant for working on marksmanship.  I look forward to seeing everyone at Afton.

Kevan

henschman

It was an honor to be on the firing line with all of you.  Thanks to all instructors who helped out -- you guys were great.  Shooters, your persistence and attention to safety made it an outstanding shoot.  Thank you to everybody for participating in the Memorial Volley.  I can't imagine a more fitting tribute to the heroes of April 19, 1775. 

It sure is good to have some new blood in the instructor corps.  I am very much looking forward to working with you all again soon.  See you in Afton!

Daniel
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819