News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Smyrna Beach, FL April 20-21 Patriot's Day shoot

Started by 9mm4545, April 21, 2013, 11:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Patriot's Day! The ever-present threat of stormy skies could not dampen the enthusiasm of a fine group of Americans who came to the Volusia County Gun Club to learn marksmanship and American heritage. Our firing line was full and the sweet sound of liberty was soon heard as our students applied focus, attention to detail, persistence, self-control, and discipline in their efforts to become better marksmen. From the opening volley on the first Redcoat target to the final tribute to the fallen heros of 238 years ago, the pace was fast as the fire hose of information was unleashed. By the end of day one, the air had the chill of a certain April morning in New England when the world changed forever in Lexington. Our group did not have to imagine the splendor of the well dressed British officer; we had our own mannequin "Percy" dressed in an officer's finest uniform, thanks to Rifleman Rick and his tailoring magic. The bloody British butchery of April 19th, 1775 was brought to life as the conflict of ideologies in Massachusetts led to a War for Independence between people who wanted to govern themselves--and a government that didn't mean they should. By the end of the day, two new Riflemen showed that they were men who knew very well what they were about. Congratulations to Brad and Neil for some fine shooting! And no, Brad, the rifle (that is older than you are) is still not for sale--yet. It has to assist more people in the task of becoming Riflemen before it goes on the block!

By Sunday the line was not quite as full but the improvement was exciting to see as it was clear that nothing was lost in the night when it came to marksmanship. The nice breeze and the heavy overcast kept the temperatures very pleasant so the pace stayed brisk and the first AQT of the day was underway before lunchtime. With relentless hammering on the anvil of the AQT, another two Riflemen were revealed by the day's end: Christian and Mike. A "good job and well done" to both of you. And to everyone: thanks for coming out, thanks for persisting, and thanks for making the weekend a great success. Photos to follow...
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

9mm4545

Paul supplied some photos. Thanks. More to follow after editing.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Tomblin

What range were you guys on, one of the bays in the back? Wish I could have been there, but as it was I double booked myself for two other shoots.

I like the VCGHC being only 15 miles from my house, I just don't have the $395 it takes to join for a year. Think Sean would cut an Appleseed Instructor a discount?

Huzzah!

9mm4545

We were in bay 14, one of the newly created pistol bays toward the south side of the older pistol bays. Never hurts to ask about a discount...

Builder123

Bruce,

I had a fantastic time!  Thank you to you and the whole team.  You all put on a great shoot, I learned a ton and had a great time.  Since you won't sell me either of those rifles, I'm now forced to go out and build my own!  That COMPLETELY breaks my heart!!   ;)  I will probably be picking your brain though for some guidance as I'm new to the 10/22 arena, but very excited to learn more about it.  Jared, Bill, Christian and myself all want to come back and do another one, once we have our rifles built and see what we can do then.  I'm still determined to break the 240 mark!  Thank you again for all of yours time this past weekend.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Brad

Grunt

Bruce and all instructors and other shooters, thanks for a rewarding experience.  I gained invaluable insights and knowledge, learned my own shortcomings and areas which need improvement.  Have already done a complete equipment overhaul and made a plan to improve skills needed for the next Apppleseed.  One comment, which may not apply universally, for us old and hearing impaired, a powered megaphone for the commands would be great.  Special thanks to Robert for putting up with my hot brass and assisting me with the range commands.

Thanks again,
GRUNT (Dix)
amat Victoria curam

TomM1Thumb

To all the Shooters, and all My fellow Instructors,

Thank You for a Very safe if slightly wet Event, I took a few pictures both Saturday and Sunday, Here they are!

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

BrownBess

What a great event, I was surprised how cold it got, but how warm the feelings of all the shooters and their enthusiastic attitude.  Neither muck,rain, or cold could make them complain.......now tell me, how do they wear those shorts and not freeze?????Thanks for all that made the shoot a Success........BrownBess