News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BURLINGTON FLATS,NY 20-21 APRIL 2013 A.A.R.

Started by sgtrock, April 21, 2013, 10:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtrock

Another very fine shoot at B-Flats, NY

With the 20+ MPH wind, sleet,rain, flurries, mud, standing water, wheel ruts, it was typical conditions for an Appleseed in central New York,,,
We had 9 shooters on Saturday and 10 on Sunday that came out in great range weather to hear the story of our Great Country and to take in a little marksmanship instruction,,,

With 3 sets of fathers and sons and son in law on the line and 1 daughter of an IIT it was truely a family affair,,,
Everyone on the line showed a high level of enthusiasm, competence and confidence so much so it really makes a shoot boss's and all instructors job very easy, Thank you all so much,,,

Dealing with weather conditions here can be challenging to say the least, 20+ MPH wind on Saturday and again on Sunday these folks learned about what the wind can do to your trajectory, but it had little negative effect on the ablity of these folks to excell in learning the art of the rifle,,,

Samantha being our only lady on the line all weekend and being at her 2 1/2 Appleseeds she did quite well, with her being our First Rifleman of the weekend with a score 211 on her 3 rd target on Sunday she set the standard for others to follow, she had shot her 2nd target of the day and was just 1 moa high she made an adjustment of 1 moa down and shot her score, that is how steady she is and she now becomes our Burlington Flats, First and only Father and Daughter Instructor Team, at 16 years old it is a proud time for her and her father Dave, Samantha will be registered as Valkyrie shortly on the forums,,,

Next up is Rob D. shooting a repeat riflemans score of 210 came to B-Flats as our Sunday only walk in shooter, this being his 5th Appleseed event, did very well, and did very well at KD with his 10/22, by seeing what you really can do with a 22 at distance,, Nice job Rob, hope you can get back here sometime and shoot the off weekends with us,,,

Next up we have Phil shooting at his first Appleseed event and producing a riflemans score of 211 did an Outstanding Job,,,,

But just to keep a friendly ride home,,,, His Brother, Joseph, came up with a score of 210, this was his first Appleseed event as well,
Both of these men are in service to our country, I wish them both gods speed, for they are to deploy soon,,,

Phil and Joseph came with thier father Joe and brother in law Sokha who both have been to an event here 2 years ago and who are all veterans and or still active duty,,, a really great group of guys you could ever meet, It was an honor to have you on our line, please drop by to see us again soon, the doors at Burlington Flats are always open to good folk,,,

With 4 riflemen, 3 new and one repeat it was a Fantasic event, but that is only part of our story,,,

We have Ed Jr., a veteran of at least 3 events and a rifleman himself, ( score shot with a single shot, manual cocking Winchester rifle made in the 30's I do believe) brought his father Ed Sr. along this time to spend some quality time in the ankle deep mud and wind, and all that nature had to throw at us, he used a loaner rifle for his 22 and brought along a Naggant to have fun with both at the 25m line and on the KD range as well,, I hope to see them back again, another great family of Patriots coming to a place on the hill that is so beautiful and tranquil,,,

And then we have Jonathan (the father) and Devin his son, shooting for the first time at an event and being relatively new to the shooting world, did an Outstanding job,,,
With Devin (15yrs old) starting out with a barrowed 10/22 rifle with an optic  he shot a 55 score on Saturday, we got him switched to one of my loaners with iron sights and he shot up to a score of 191, and he stayed with in the upper 100's for the rest of the weekend, I dare to say he is and was the most improved shooter this weekend, having not much of shooting experience he had a great time and mentioned to me that he would like to attain the score, I am sure we will see him again, the offer was made to him and his father to drop by on a weekend and we will continue to learn even more than what can be taught at an event,,, His father was equally happy with his shooting improvements as well,,, Both are really great Americans and just a joy to have on the line,,,

I will sign off for now and let others have a chance to post if they would like and I will be back tommorrow with pictures and more of our Great Story at Burlington Flats, NY what a Great event it was,, Thank you all,,
My Instructors Odin, microred, gthomas, kooch13, AwesomeAustin, Countryboy243,
And our behind the line support friends Eric and Ted made this shoot very comfortable for all envolved and without them just wouldn't be a family event such as what we all like to have here   My most heart felt Thank You,,,,

sgtrock aka Steve Stoner   

Ed Lentz

Thanks SgtRock, and thanks to all the instructors this weekend. You really put on a great shoot.

I'm exhausted but happy. I shot very poorly on the second day but I still had a great weekend. And just because I didn't shoot as well as I hoped doesn't mean I didn't learn anything. In fact just the opposite. I think I know where I need to focus my effort this summer and hope to come back this Sept an even better rifleman.

I know my dad had a blast. He's talking of getting his own LTR and coming back this fall as well. He really enjoyed the KD range and the chance to shoot his 91/30.

With a little experience under my belt now it was fun to watch the other shooters. They all shot well and all made significant progress. This is of course credited to their willingness to receive instruction and the quality of the instruction they received.

The only thing I'm struggling with now is whom to bring along to the next shoot. I can't recommend you guys enough.

Thanks

Ed

R1SGx2

Sgt Rock and Crew, very nice work...

Shooters, nice job,,,

Phil and Joseph, thank you for your service.

Can't wait to see the photo's, always a great shoot in Burlinton Flats with Great Instructors and Shooters alike. Nice work by all.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

VietVet

"20+ MPH wind, sleet,rain, flurries, mud, standing water, wheel ruts...."

Sounds like a WINTERSEED!

Stand proud BF! :bow: O0
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Valkyrie

I couldn't of gotten my score of 211 without the help of the instructors. Thank you all very much for the best experience and I am looking forward to working with you guys and being part of the Burlington Flats Appleseed team  :)
~Valkyrie (Sammie :D)~

sgtrock

Thanks Ed for the kind words, it was a very rewarding weekend, I am glad Ed Sr. was able to attend,,, Hope to see you soon,,,

Hey there Top, (R1SGx2) Thank you, I see you had quite a full student body up there at your shoot,,, 59 Patriots on the line,,, thats awesome my friend,,,

Valkyrie (Sammie) What can be said about this young lady, ,I remember your first Appleseed when you had to leave due to illness, you were pretty downstruck, but you hung in there and came back and now you are part of the team,,, Thank you for being who you are,,, We really enjoy having you with us,,, Study up girl we have work for you,,,

Hello ther Rich (VietVet) It could have been classified as a winterseed pretty easy if you are someone that is not used to this area,,, but the temps actully breeched 32 degrees at one point, so I called it a regular seed,,, But none the less it was at times very cold with the wind chill,,, Sunday was supposed to be calmer but wasn't, the wind was still a major player, 2moa windage sight adjustments were common at 25m as well 3 moa or better at Known Distance,,, pretty cool actually,,, we really stress the importance of shooting in the wind,,, I incourage it more than people would like to hear I think,,, but it has to be learned and on the range on windy days is where to learn it... I will get some picture up forthwith of our event,,,

sgtrock

sgtrock

1st rifleman

Sammie (Valkyrie) New IIT as well

They look happy,,

sgtrock

Click on these pictures and I think it will take you photo bucket to see the rest,,, getting frustrated with this computer thing,,, I have managed to label the pictures for discriptions

Valkyrie

Don't worry Stoner... I am studying up :) I am ready to be part of this team with you guys :)
~Valkyrie (Sammie :D)~

gthomas

Fantastic shoot and a fantastic group of shooters! 4 riflemen and a new orange hat! All in typical Burlington Flats weather (cold, wet and windy).

Thanks to our instructors for all they do and thanks to all our shooters, each and every one of you is welcome back! Hopefully on your next trip out to the Flats our line won't be a mud pit!

Congrats on the orange hat Sammie!

sgtrock

Our 4th Rifleman of this shoot Joseph with a score of you guessed it, a 210

sgtrock

Brothers Phil and Joseph and Both became riflemen this weekend,,, Great job men

sgtrock

My youngest IIT AwesomeAustin on a hunt after the shoot,,, This guy does not slow down,,,

Josey Wales

Quote from: sgtrock on April 22, 2013, 11:10:28 PM
My youngest IIT AwesomeAustin on a hunt after the shoot,,, This guy does not slow down,,,

..That is Awesome Austin,  I wish I was there with you to harvest some small game with you little man.  Keep up the most Honorable work.  Thank God there are boys like you left in this world.........Strength & Honor............Josey Wales...........
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

sgtrock

Hey there Nick

When you get a chance to come up again we'll go out,,, there are a couple of these critters at the club just waiting for you,,, They are not bad on a BBQ either,,, Plus we could get a few fish from the pond and have surf and turf,,,

Odin

I have to say this was a wonderful shoot to be a part of. 

Of all the shoots that I have done, I don't think I have ever seen anyone's score improve as much as Devin's did in just a single weekend, it was amazing.  Great job.

Rob, our Sunday shooter also had some issues with his scope that kept him just outside of the riflemen's score.  He took his rifle off the line, swapped to iron sights and came back to the line.  Shot one sighter group, made an adjustment and on the next AQT shot 210.  Impressive work.

As Sgtrock mentioned we did have some slight wind this weekend.  You would expect that our shooters standing group would open up a bit, only natural right?  Well, apparently no one bothered to tell the students that.  They had some of the tightest standing groups that I have seen.  On a number of their targets I saw only a flyer or two in the three ring with the rest of their shots solidly in the 4 and 5 and V rings.

Not only did our shooters do an outstanding job so did our instructors.  It is very gratifying to see them progress through the ranks of IITs.  A highlight was seeing AwesomeAustin demo the sitting positions.

Our newest IIT (Sammie/Valkyrie) accepted the orange hat fairly early on Sunday.  With plenty of shooting left to do in the day, when she put on the hat, she put down her rifle and began to help on the line...

Great Shooters, great instructors, great weather, couldn't ask for more. 

Thank you for a wonderful weekend.  For those who are serving our country, thank you for your service.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

shootnski

I had a great day at Burlington Flats. Frozen ground turned to mud, a steady breeze and a great story of patriotism and marksmanship instruction.   Enjoyed picking up more information shooting longer distances on the KD range, and how to use sights/scope to range find. Each time I participate, I learn more and learn I have a lot more to learn, both about our history and marksmanship.  Thank you to Odin, Sgt. Rock  and the rest of the crew for making a newcomer to Burlington Flats so welcome.  I shall return....

Rob D.

AwesomeAustin

i loved the mud up at the shoot even though i got stuck one or more times ^:)^
"Aim small, miss small"
From the move the patriot

microred

It was a great shoot again with everyone coming together, not only the instructors but the family of patriots as well to endure the Burlington Flatts in climate weather as usual!  I was great to see Valkyrie hanging in their tuff to pull the first expert score of the weekend ....and taking the Orange hat to boot.  Great Father and Daughter team of instructors we have!  Thank you for the kind words, Sammie...sure hope we are shooting together soon and in warmer weather.  A special thanks to all the other instructors who made the special effort to make this a real learning experience for our patriots.  Ok, trouble with pics at the moment but they will hopefully follow shortly.

microred

Father and Daughter Orange Hat Team

microred

microred

Here is a happy group of NYS Patriots!

Josey Wales

..That is what I am looking forward too....Thanks SgtRock...................

Quote from: sgtrock on April 22, 2013, 11:23:13 PM
Hey there Nick

When you get a chance to come up again we'll go out,,, there are a couple of these critters at the club just waiting for you,,, They are not bad on a BBQ either,,, Plus we could get a few fish from the pond and have surf and turf,,,
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Smurf

COLD MUD & HOT BRASS!!!!! The worse the weather, the BETTER the RIFLEMEN!!!!

Congratulation to VALKYRIE.
Ya know that ya couldn't think of a better place to be or better people to spent time with!!!!

You all came together on Patriots Weekend and shared ( the good or the bad, the mud or the sun) with your fellow Americans. 

GOOD JOB.

gthomas

I'll be out on the KD range Sunday 04/28 (tomorrow). You're all welcome to meet me out there and put some rounds on target out to 300 yards. I'll be getting there around 10:00, see you there.