News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ames Iowa Patriot's Day Weekend April 20-21

Started by Yankeedutch, April 21, 2013, 07:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeedutch

This started off like a Winterseed.
Early morning on Saturday we drove stakes into the frozen ground for our target backers.  The morning slowly warmed up and in the afternoon it was pretty nice.
The instructors were very impressed by the attitude, persistence, teachability and improvement of our shooters.
One of our youth shooters, Pat, showed some excellent stuff when handed an LTR in the afternoon.  He is soon to be a rifleman!!  I scored his first AQT and on stage I he scored a 43 including deductions from 7 extra rounds, courtesy of his neighbor.  Just keep on persisting and you wil do well.
Joe said he dryfired over 600times since his last AS in October.  He had a nice run and withstood some threats of a water baptism, but seemed relieved when we revealed his score at 211.  Joe is our first new Iowa Rifleman of the year!
Dutch
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Yankeedutch

Here are some pictures.
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

fatboytactical

This was my son Pat and my first Appleseed and we had a lot of fun and learned a lot. The instructors were absolutely awesome.  We were planning our training regiment and our next shoot on the way home.  Everyone was so great from an instructor on both days loaning my son a rifle to the excellent instruction. I cannot say thank you enough......... And I won't shoot his target next time. ::)
Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Yankeedutch

I wish I could be there on Sunday.  I heard you got a 209.
Hope to see you and your son make rifleman next time.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Edmund Burke

Miller

Two days.
Two new Riflemen.
Congrats to both Joe and Dennis.  Now, we just need to discuss the matter of you gentlemen considering a future in an orange hat.... ;)

I can't wait to see all of you on the line again.

And Fatboytactical....
Next time I fully expect both you and Pat to shoot Rifleman.  And then we'll have a little chat about your continuing on the Appleseed trail.

Perhaps I'll manage to hunt and peck out a bit more later but for now I've got a car full of rifles, targets, and all the other detritus (don't salute!) that seems to accumulate around an instructor on the trail.

Fearful but resolute.

Drfury

Here are a few photos I took at the end of Sunday. Id like to give a big thank you to this group of instructors that have taught me at both the Ames Appleseed and the Winterset Appleseed.
Big shout outs to Alex, Dave, Matti, Bryce and Miller; Thanks for helping me get my patch. This has been a personal goal of mine for over a year now and the taste of victory is sweet. I hope to see you all again this fall in Winterset.

Id like to congratulate Dennis for also getting his Rifleman's patch this weekend!

Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Miller

;D
You certainly captured my best side!

Now.....
About that orange hat.... &)
Fearful but resolute.

colycat

Miller,

Do you really have a "best side" :)

Any one tired of winter yet?  Read some of the other AAR's from around the country,  its good to see that some are a little warm.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Miller

Coly,
If I do have a best side that has to be a strong contender. O0

Fearful but resolute.

Sisu!

It was a great weekend!  Here's one more pic for everyone.

Miller

Just for any that may wonder....

Yes, those are a pair of the full size Redcoats posted all the way down there on the 200 yard target line.
And they ended up with some holes in them.

One might almost think this 25 meter stuff actually did work at longer distances...
Fearful but resolute.

Ames

It was great seeing two guys get their rifleman patch.  I believe 2 or 3 others were within single digits of also getting their rifleman.  That's really awesome!

A special thanks to the Ames Izaak Walton League for hosting the event.    Feel free to send them a note of thanks.  (http://www.amesikes.org/en/contact_us/) They have been a very gracious and accommodating host to Appleseed - and will be again in August.

Finally, thanks to the instructors for their outstanding instruction.  Consider, on the first day one frustrated student was "looking" for grenades to lob at his red coat target and on the next day nearly shooting rifleman.  That doesn't happen without great instruction!  Thanks guys!

Anidor

Congrats to the new riflemen this weekend, welcome to the ranks! :---
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." – George Mason

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Ron Paul

Drfury

Quote from: Miller on April 22, 2013, 11:30:10 PM
Just for any that may wonder....

Yes, those are a pair of the full size Redcoats posted all the way down there on the 200 yard target line.
And they ended up with some holes in them.

One might almost think this 25 meter stuff actually did work at longer distances...

Id like to note that the two Mosin Nagants (one Russian 91/30 and one Finnish carbine) put more holes in the 100 & 200 yard target than the AR-15 and Garand did! I was surprised I was able to hit it, from the sitting position no less. By far the longest shot ive taken and hit. It was a good feeling, especially doing it with a 70 year old battle rifle.
Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain.

Alex

It was a great weekend and it showed LOTS of improvement. We made two Riflemyn and had two different shooters score a 209 and another score a 200. Everyone got hits on the 100 yard full size Red Coat from standing and we got a bunch of hits on both of the 200 yard ones from sitting. Thanks to all of those who came out for this weekend. You were a wonderful group of students. Hopefully ammo will be more abundant and we can sell out all 30 spots and fill both of the firing lines in August!
Intellect is invisible to the man who has none.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine

Miller

Oh, and thank you Alex....
Now I've got to find room in the budget for a Finnish Mosin.
Fearful but resolute.