News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gaston, SC April 20-21 2013 Patriot's Weekend

Started by dreamerofdreams, April 21, 2013, 07:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamerofdreams

Wow!  What an awesome shoot!  Five patriots showed up this weekend at Gaston, along with TheIronMantis, Leadfarmer, and Cruffler.  We could not have had a better group!  The weather was gorgeous all weekend, not too hot, not too humid, with beautiful blue skies.

Our AM redcoats showed that we had a group of serious shooters on our hands and we launched into instruction.  Shortly after lunch, J.J. scored rifleman on his second ever AQT.  He was quickly followed by Neil, who sealed the deal on this, his second Appleseed.

We enjoyed the retelling of the story of April 19th, 1775 and gathered everyone on the line for the Memorial Volley.  At the end of the day, Zach, who shot rifleman on his very first AQT at a previous shoot stepped up to answer the call and took an orange hat.

On Sunday we gathered together again, and Sunday morning's redcoat showed that the shooters hadn't forgotten a thing, with everyone nailing either the 300 or 400 yard target, two head shots, and one cleared target.  We settled into work and before too long Zach proved himself by requalifying as a rifleman.  We were treated to an excellent presentation on some of the South Carolina revolutionary war stories by TheIronMantis as well as tales of Dangerous Old Men, Patriots in Petticoats and Brave Children.  Persevering through everything - including multiple rifles falling apart! - both Chris and Jim ended the day poised and ready to pounce on that coveted patch the next time.

Thank you to everyone who came out to our Patriot Day shoot!  It was an honor to work with each and every one of you and I hope to see you again soon!

"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

nreamer

I had an awesome time!  This was my 2nd Appleseed.  I scored Rifleman with both scope and iron sights.  I am really happy I was able to do so with irons, as I really do hate scopes! 

Heather, Tyler, Tom and Buckie were awesome!  The Story telling was great.  I now have a new book ("Paul Revere's Ride") to read. 

Another plus, as always, is that I met some great new people.   

Some positive feedback on the shoot. 

1.  All 4 instructors very personable, very friendly, very approachable.
2.  All instructors very professional
3.  Overheard some discussion among the instructors about shooters going down range, to check targets.  Heather specifically wanted them to, as the shooters might need some positive reinforcement.  (Can't remember her exact words).  Anyway, the timing was perfect, and her logic was right on.  It was right after stage 1, and I was down on myself as I started down (and heard this exchange).  When I saw my target, not that it was perfect, but it was better than I thought.  It truly motivated me to keep going.  Point is, the feedback is good!
4.  You guys made this fun!  Glad I came!

Neil

TheIronMantis

It was an awesome 'seed.  All you shooters did a great job.  I have no doubt whatsoever that Chris and Jim will take home that patch at their next event.  However, keep practicing.  The skills we taught you this weekend are perishable.  So keep up the hard work. 

I did manage to get a few pictures.

McGeezer

What a great weekend.  I re-learned so many of the rifle shooting skills that I had allowed to atrophy.  The entire teaching crew, Heather, Tyler, Tom and Bucky were OUTSTANDING!
Can't wait for my next opportunity to attend...and this time I will have a back-up rifle LOL.

poozinsc

To repeat -- what a great weekend.  This was my 1st Appleseed, and although I did NOT qualify I went home Sunday evening with a feeling of accomplishment knowing that I was a much better marksman than when I arrived Saturday morning.  I'm a relative novice at shooting and one of the reasons I registered for an Appleseed was to receive instruction and feedback.  I wasn't disappointed.  The instructors were enthusiastic and knowledgeable.  I truly believe they were more disappointed than me when I didn't shoot a qualifying score.  I can now go to the range and shoot with a purpose -- with drills and things to practice that will improve my skill.  This is huge.

I also enjoyed the history segments of the weekend.  In fact I purchased the Revere book when I got home Sunday evening.

I'll definitely be back -- but only after some practice.  That patch was soooo close.