News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Niles MI April 20-21, 2013 Patriot's Weekend

Started by SteelThunder, April 18, 2013, 10:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

What a day, what a weekend.  Super tired, but happy, Shoot Boss.

What more could you ask for?  19 dedicated Americans that came out to celebrate the founding of our country, remember the sacrifices of our forefathers and dedicate the weekend to a wholesome American activity -- rifle marksmanship.

The weather did its best impression of January on Saturday with high winds, 30-40 degree weather and lots of humidity...brrr.  Sunday, though, broke as a glorious MI spring day and we reveled in sun and temps in the low 50s.  We had a great, and varied, group of shooters.  At least 50% were repeat Appleseeders, with most bringing their friends and families.  As we produced 4 (count em 4) Riflemen.

Tom -- it was great to see you again, congrats on the patch and the offer still stands for your wife to make cookies at ANY Appleseed I'm at.
Rob and Jeff - great to shoot with you...keep working at those skills
Mike, Joy, Neal, Carrie and families -- fantastic to get to know you.  All your kids were at joy to work with...safe, enthusiastic and rarin' to go.  Oh, you weren't too bad either.  Mike - congrats on the patch.
Dave and Flora - great to see you again and congrats on the 210 Dave.
Becky and Scot - Scot, your 238 was something to behold but I'm most proud of Becky with her incredible improvement...something just "clicked" on Sunday.
Rob and boys - great job and I hope to see you back (and boys, keep out-shooting your dad!)

Then...it was to the KD range and 2 M1As, a Garand and an AR and 2 Brown Besses.  I saw lots of smiles and cheer as we smacked steel out to 200.

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend (and all the pork for lunch thanks to Pitmaster).  Please come back and see us again...and bring your friends!  More later when I get my pix up.  Thanks to my great instructor crew, intheburbs, number6, Oz, BitelySam, James (pick a name now or...) pitmaster, and Zazzles.

Steel
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

number6

This cannot be just a placeholder....

Here is a nice photo......

You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!
Number 6, The Prisoner, Episode 11 "A Change of Mind"

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

"Rifles don't read" YellowHouseJake

"Lots of work?  Yup.  You wanna grow?  Suck it up, cupcake." - SteelThunder

tomahawk

Wishing you the best of success in Niles, Michigan on this Patriot's Weekend. I enjoyed the quotes from our Founding Fathers, and SteelThunder.

Pitmaster

Great group of patriots this weekend. I'm sore. More later.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

Huzzah for the OP being updated.  Placeholder for pix.  Post 'em if you got 'em
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

number6

You still have a choice. You can still salvage your right to be individuals. Your rights to truth and free thought! Reject this false world of Number Two . . . reject it NOW!!

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them..." � Richard Henry Lee, "Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic"

number6

number6

Oz

It was a fantastic weekend.   I still am more than a little amazed at what consistently awesome people turn out to an Appleseed.

It was wonderful to see the shooters improve over the course of the weekend.  I have to admit I'm always most touched by the shooters who face a little greater challenge...maybe physical limitations, crazy equipment problems, never touched a firearm before, or youngsters handling rifles that in proportion would be like me shooting a 25 pound rifle...but who hang in there all weekend with a great attitude and a sense of humor, and are persistent and maybe even surprise themselves with what they accomplish.  I am a sucker for "character" and we had shooters this weekend who showed it in spades.  These folks are my heroes and any day of the week I would be honored to restrain myself and let them empty the bowl of the last one of Tom's wife's awesome cookies.  (Maybe even the last two cookies.)   :bow:

I am thrilled with how many of you said you plan on coming back to Appleseed--and bringing friends and family!  I hope to meet them all. 

Several shooters asked me about the stylish USMC-style shooting jackets several instructors were sporting, and I said I would post a link.  See the following thread.  Zazzles and I ordered ours from Mary and we are very happy with them.  You may be able to find surplus jackets elsewhere; I know you can order excellent custom jackets here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27137.msg205373#msg205373

I missed a Mosin smacking steel??   :wb:
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Pitmaster

Watching and hearing a shooter nail steel @ 200 yards with a Brown Bess created some excitement. Pop, BOOM, clang has a nice cadence to it.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

While we're waiting for me to post pictures, here's a dog pic

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

ITB

A few more pics....

James, our new Orange Hat (who better pick a nickname, lest we "bestow" one on him:

Number6 doing the six steps on Saturday

Shoot Boss and Oz (aka Laurel and Hardy) doing standing POI after lunch on Saturday

Sass, our official mascot (Pitmaster's beautiful, well-behaved GSD)

Number6 using the map for 3rd strike

Doing some runnin' and gunnin'

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Oz

"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

jeffscar

I was tired I was sore I was cold, but I am still smiling. Thank you to all instructors I learned a lot on technique and our history. Met some great people. And I am looking forward to my next Appleseed.

Superheat

Quote from: jeffscar on April 24, 2013, 09:55:46 AM
I was tired I was sore I was cold, but I am still smiling. Thank you to all instructors I learned a lot on technique and our history. Met some great people. And I am looking forward to my next Appleseed.
O0

Love the avitair.

Mr_O

Wonderful weekend!  Glad you ordered the sunny warm weather for Sunday afternoon.  It helped me dry off from my 210 shower  ;).  Thank you again to all of the wonderful instructors and support staff.  As usual, the instruction and history lessons were top notch.  The "choices" theme is powerful.  If we all follow the examples of those who fought for liberty, we can change the course of our country.  Thanks again.  Now back to the  ~~:) until those scores improve  :).
"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should." - Captain Levi Preston of Danvers

Fischer, David Hackett (1995-04-19). Paul Revere's Ride (Kindle Location 2898). Oxford University Press. Kindle Edition.

M1Bull

Thanks to the instructors for all the help for me and Becky... We both enjoyed it (in spite of the cold saturday), I learned a few things, Becky learned a lot of things, and maybe best of all: you guys got her shooting some good groups on sunday!

Steel asked for some feedback from a competitive target shooter's perspective; It was all fun and I enjoyed focusing on fundamentals and helping out and encouraging the newer shooters building their skills. On the 2nd day, it might've been nice to put some of the distance measuring technique (ie. width of your front sight blade = xx MOA) to use, either on the 200 yard range or at the 25 yard range (might need some specific targets for that, or use the red coat targets). Also when our group went to the 200 yard range I noticed that some of the younger shooters were awful shy about trying out the centerfire rifles and I think only one of the younger girls tried any of them (and even then, it was only the AR15 after great coaxing)... there might be an opportunity there to get some 'inner drill instructor' on and push/show the younger shooters that a good prone or sitting position with a sling and good cheek weld makes centerfire rifles very manageable--centerfire rifles are nothing to be afraid of. Might also help to encourage a bit of 'attitude' going in to that stage, like "I'm gonna show that rifle who's boss!" (at least, that's what brought me back for more after getting belted hard in the shoulder by a friend's 03A3 rifle that I was unprepared for, shortly after graduating school). Teach shooters respect--but also confidence to overcome intimidation?

Noteworthy mention to InTheBurbs for being the only shooter to try out the Mosin-Nagant M91/30, commenting that 'it doesn't recoil nearly as bad as people make it out to'  O0
Also another 'thumbs-up' to Pitmaster for the outstanding bbq for lunch!  O0

I second the significance of the "choices" theme during the history lessons--good, thought provoking stuff.

Looking forward to more in the future, perhaps with some actual distance work.

Thanks!

SteelThunder

Scot

It was a pleasure to have you and Becky out.  She really showed great improvement and I enjoyed seeing you shoot those tiny little groups.

I like your suggestion of showing the younger or smaller framed timid shooters that proper position can tame the beast.  Great reminder to see where people have doubts and be ready to jump in. 

The great thing was that younger shooter who was so timid came back to the line all smiles and was literally jumping up and down, talking to her father "Daddy...guess what I did!!!!"

Hope to see you out on the line soon.
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis