News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructors' Actual Distance Clinic, Elbert County, Georgia April 13-14

Started by DrJohn, April 15, 2013, 06:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Excitement ran high as instructors began to gather at Graben River Farm on Friday afternoon, April 12. Our host had thoughtfully mowed the 1,000 yard range and set out laser-measured identification at 25 yards and at 100 yard increments out to 1,000 yards. Scar and Morpheus took charge of adding to the target line to accommodate the unexpected number of late sign-ups, and Scar and Scarlett provided supper Friday night and breakfast Saturday and Sunday. This allowed a most appreciated opportunity to renew friendships and catch up on fellow instructors we hadn't seen for a while.

Saturday was a perfectly beautiful day, bright sunshine and temperatures in the low 70s. We began with classroom work, but outside. We used the syllabus kindly provided by ITSanSKS, and discussed in depth some of the more challenging topics, such as the technique used to zero the M-16 A-2, the concept of milli-radians, and the topics that should and should not be taught at a regular Appleseed weekend. Although several attendees had to cancel at the last minute, we still had 21 attendees, and we had a working lunch Saturday during which Franklinfarmer discussed preparations for the upcoming Patriots' Day at Waco. After lunch, we headed for the range. First we used the front sight calibration targets graciously provided by PHenry to determine the width of our front sight or similar feature on our scope sights. Then we confirmed the 25-yard zero for our various rifles, of which we had a great assortment. Then we went back to the 100 yard firing line, shot a sighter to determine proper come-up for that distance, and after adjusting our sights and recording in the range books kindly provided by Guardian, we shot Stage One on the full-size D target. Then back to 200 yards, sighter group, sight adjustment, data book entry, and Stage Two of the AQT. And so on and so forth out to 400 yards. As it was getting late by then, we went out to 500 yards and took turns shooting at swinging full-size steel silhouette targets kindly provided by Fabricator. We went out as a group and the 23 of us sat at a large table in a local restaurant, ate together, and generally just enjoyed each other's company for a while.

Sunday morning we again had outdoor classroom, as we broke into small groups and presented, turn in turn, the ideal Sunday afternoon Actual Distance we would give at a regular Appleseed weekend. Then we engaged in an exercise suggested by ITSanSKS. Fabricator and Morpheus had constructed a look-alike stop sign, and it was posted in a distant field. The various students used their front sight or scope sight as an MOA measuring device, and knowing the 28" distance across the sign estimated its distance. Almost all were within 15 yards of its laser-measured 215 yards, providing excellent confirmation of the front sight method of precise range estimation. Before lunch we were provided an unexpected and most special treat. Son of Martha was able to join us all weekend, shot with us both days, and at request, shared with us some of his vast knowledge, including the ideal way to present the Story of April 19, 1775, items to include and items to omit when teaching new Appleseed students, and practical considerations of the rifle in defense of Liberty. This instructor considered Son of Martha's presentation the highlight of the weekend.

After lunch Sunday, we went back to the range and more or less repeated the procedure of the previous day, except this time, the Shoot Boss was slightly more experienced and our gallant attendees didn't have to practice quite as much patience and forbearance as they did the previous day, God bless them. It went much smoother, and we were graced to have, by the end of the weekend, four instructors newly qualified at Actual Distance. Heartiest congratulations to TAZDevil (32 out of 40 in the black), Jambo (35 out of 40), Red Niva (31 out of 40), and Scar (30 out of 40). Scar was so modest at his very significant achievement that he initially demurred, saying he was already a Rifleman (true enough), until it was pointed out to him that qualifying at Actual Distance is a coveted and honored achievement.

My heartiest congratulations to all out magnificent students. Thank you for putting up with my inexperience, hesitation, and oversights. Each and every one of you contributed to the success of the clinic in your own individual and unique way. I was especially impressed with the determination, persistence, and quiet resolve of those who had equipment issues, dealt with them, and had a productive experience in spite of them. Many thanks to Scar and Scarlett for the canopy they donated to Appleseed, and for the instructors who gave so generously of themselves so their brother and sister instructors could have a quality experience. My thanks to you all.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

I can't even begin to describe the joy and camaraderie I felt this weekend. I feel both immensely humbled and enlightened by being around such knowledgeable and experienced Riflemen. I want to thank each and everyone of you for your time and generosity. A special thank you to DrJohn for setting up and running an amazing event, to Scar and Scarlett for the incredibly delicious home cooked meals they provided and brianf31 for bringing the meat, to Son of Martha for his inspiring and illuminating lessons, to Guardian for the data books, Mechanic for the metal silhouettes.

Also, congratulations to TAZDevil, Jambo, Red Niva and Scar. Huzzah!  O0
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Guardian

It was a great weekend and I truly enjoyed the many opportunities that were presented. I always enjoy listening to Dr. John's presentations and prodding him for more information. Son of Martha's talks were most appreciated. I appreciated the patience of TazDevil, Morpheus, and Jambo as they tolerated my KD presentation and offered advice on improvement. Thanks to Scar and Scarlett for feeding us and letting me shoot the SCAR Heavy! Thanks to everyone for the camaraderie shared throughout the weekend. What a fine bunch of folks to spend a weekend with!!! I thank each of you that attended for your contribution.

Congrats to those that achieved Rifleman on the KD course! An achievement indeed.

Sorry everyone didn't get a data book. My lack of counting ability was demonstrated again Sunday morning when I took the dope out of my rifle but didn't end up back at zero. Those of you that did use one of the data books, please let me know if there is something that you think can be improved. I'll take the blame for the rain on Sunday, as I may have jinxed us by using waterproof paper.  ;D

Thanks to Craig for helping me figure out the issues with my rifle.

I learned a lot this weekend and look forward to the next opportunity to stretch the legs on my rifle. I learned it "shoots as fast as lightning but it loads a might slow", to quote a song lyric. There is plenty of room for the bolt thrower to improve.  **)

Red Niva and Wy Knott are both great reflections on themselves and their parents and prove there is hope in the younger generation. It is a pleasure to be around you both.

Thanks to Roswell for carting me around all weekend.

Thanks to Dr. John for putting me up and for a great event.

Thanks to Fabricator for supplying the steel targets! That was my first experience shooting such and it was a BLAST! I will be burning much ammo when I acquire one from you.

RamblingWreck, my condolences to you and your family. I appreciate the time you spent with us.

To all, I look forward to the next time our paths cross! You are an outstanding group of people and I'm proud to call each of you who attended (including those not specifically mentioned) my friend. I do not apply the term to many nor use it lightly. Please let me know if I can help any of you in any way.

Sincerely,
Marcus

Wy Knott

I greatly enjoyed the weekend and was very sorry I had to leave early. Many thanks go to DrJohn for organizing the event (his 5,000-1 things ;)) and place to sleep.  Scar and Scarlett: the food was truly superb- I love going to an AS and waking up in the morning to eat a delicious, homemade meal. You all are making me spoiled  :cool2:.

Son of Martha, You were the shoot boss at my first shoot. I am afraid at that point I did not fully appreciate your enormous scope of knowledge and wonderful teaching style but I now do. I am extremely grateful that you were there and I learned a lot. Thank you.

Congrats to everyone that scored rifleman- especially you Red Niva. O0

I also enjoyed using the laser range finder which I had never done before.
"I have no respect for a man hoo can only spell a word one way"
-Andrew Jackson
I love you goose- you brought cookies and sharpies...what more could a person want?

dreamerofdreams

Sounds like a great shoot!  Hopefully I can attend the next one!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

brianf31

This was the shooting event of the year for me. I can shoot any time, but it's a rare occasion that I can be around so many friends and patriots.

Thanks to all who put in so much effort to make this happen. We all benefited from the instruction and, of course, from the camaraderie. I hope to see you all on the trail.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Jambo

Thanks go out to Dr. John for facilitating this event, and to all my fellow Appleseeders who have helped me along so much.  Thanks to Scar and Scarlette, Brian31, and others who prepared the wonderful breakfast on Sunday morning, and the awesome coffee.  Especially the coffee.

As usual at any Appleseed:  Great instruction, great friends, tremendous fun.  I could do a shoot like this every week, especially with you folks around.  This program is awesome because the people in it are awesome.

By the way Brian, you didn't pay me royalties for using the back of my head in your Avatar!
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.  -  Thomas Jefferson 1785

scarlett

I had the best time at this shoot.  I wished we could always sit and eat together.  I had the most fun just talking with you guys.  One of the things I do not like about Appleseed, is that we usually do not get to just sit around and laugh together.  I think we all need to take care of each other as we would our students.  I want all of you to know if you were to call we would do our best to be there.  I know this may be a girl thing to say, but, we are a family and we need to love and help each other.  Your blood family may not understand what you are feeling and thinking, but, we do.

DrJohn Thanks for putting this shoot on.  Scar and I have learned so much.  Breaking us off into groups and doing presentations was a great idea.
Son of Martha I have never heard you before this shoot.  I enjoyed you so very much.  I liked your teaching style. I really took the information you had to give to us to heart.  I have even started reading the books you suggested.  Thanks so much.  I hope we will meet again.  I would also like to get the information in reference to the Appleseed instructor that lives in Hinesville, Ga.

Thanks to Brain51 for supplying the meat for us to cook and consume.  Give you wife a big hug for letting us borrow you for the weekend (how did the pork chops turnout)

Guardian thanks for the water proof data book (That took a lot of thought and work)

Red Niva what can I say but, SHOOT LIKE A GIRL!!!!!!!!
I cannot list all that I enjoyed.  I felt at home and would do it all again. 

I enjoyed you all and would shoot by you any day.  If any of you need Scar or I, please contact us with email as well.  I get email via phone quickly.
Vwfan_2001@yahoo.com