News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hollywood, FL April 6-7, 2013

Started by 9mm4545, April 08, 2013, 09:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Hoowee, that was fun! The April shoot at Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club I judge to be a smashing success. By the end of the weekend we had 22 individual shooters participate in the event and were fortunate to have enjoyed perfect weather, a fantastic venue, and vast improvement from everyone. Five (!) new Riflemen were revealed and at least one more was tantalizingly close. Congratulations to Juan, Rob, Dan, Jorge, and Wendy for some fine shooting. Nick, your time is coming as you were so very, very close. I will probably add more later but this is a great range staffed by very accommodating people who truly do believe in our mission and I cannot wait to book more events here. Huzzah!  Thanks to all for coming out and making this a weekend to remember. If you have pictures, please share them as my camera never made it out of the bag.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Prof. C.J.

I agree.  This was a great shoot.  We instructors absolutely GOT PAID with some tremendous improvement on the part of the shooters with whom we were honored to work.   O0
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

ToneDef

Huzzah! SO many patriots with such excellent attention to detail and passion for their rights! Wendy, your passion is evident and we are so blessed to have you working for freedom in S. Florida! Nick, so close! I know that if you keep up the dry fire practice, you will succeed next time in earning your patch. Jorge, thank you for sharing your inspirational story with us. Gene and Dan, thanks for putting up with me bugging you on the car rides back and forth to the range  ;D . We hope you all enjoyed this event as much as we did and that you will consider continuing to work for Liberty in South Florida. Now on to the Photos!

Shoot Boss Bruce tells the story of the First Strike of the Match

Jorge and Dan doing the Ball and Dummy Drill

Nick and Jim doing Ball & Dummy

Wendy and Gene doing Ball & Dummy

Max & Jack doing Ball & Dummy

Rob spots for Steve while he zeroes his rifle

Rambo Granny Instructs the seated position while 9mm4545 models

Rob Re-qualifies as a Rifleman!

Our Sunday Only shooters caught on very quickly!

Bruce presenting Dan with his Rifleman patch

Dan scored a 210 on the AQT, a score which qualifies him for a rifleman patch and a Baptism in the cold water beneath the old North Bridge, which was happily delivered by his brother, Tone Def.

Gene showing off his target from the KD portion of the weekend. Nice work! With the best score of the group, he won a T-Shirt!

Charlie showing off his PM Redcoat. In one day, he wend from not hitting the paper to qualifying at the 300 yard silhouette!

Juan proudly displaying his Rifleman patch

View all the photos I took at the Hollywood Rifle & Pistol Club this weekend here: [size=78%]http://www.flickr.com/photos/28678720@N08/sets/72157633200013793/[/size]

If anyone else took photos, please share!
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

smoakingun

Truely an awesome weekend. To those who achieved the goal of the coveted title of Rifleman, congratulations, well done, your orange or blue hat awaits when we come back. To those who fell short, fret not, the title is well within your reach.
I have to say that this event went exceptionally well. Teachable attitudes all around. All students too instructions very well and all kept working.
Wendy showed that she retained and practiced the knowledge she gleaned from her last even by not just shooting score, but also by clearing 3 of the 4 redcoats shot this weekend. Juan dug in and went to work, took the instruction and shot score in the darkening hours of Saturday. Rob, well, this was not his first time and it showed. Dan squeaked it out Sunday, and shot the whole weekend with only half the whining his older brother, tonedef, did when he shot his score last year. Now for Jeorge. Jeorge also shot his score in the fading light of Saturday, but he did it with an iron sighted bolt rifle.  :bow: Gotta love a shooter with a bolt gun. I know I do.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

IRONSIGHTS4ME

When I came I did not know what to expect, I prepared for a hard course and was not disappointed. This was quite a challenge.

Just wanted to say  a special thanks to each and all the wonderful instructors that helped me this weekend: I will not forget any of you. My skills might slip but your words will echo in my head for a long time.

Janet "don't drag wood",
Chris "elbow under the rifle"
Tony "follow through, drinkin' water from a fire hose"
Smoak " a little light under the 400 yard stage silhoutte"
Bruce "Quit fussing the shot and rifleman's cadence"

All of you all have a lot of talent, skill and patience. Each and everyone of you was complementary in the effort. You all saw different things I was doing wrong and offered unique constructive feedback. Special thanks to  Coach SMOAK, who helped me find my Zen and zero to push me over the hill.

I can honestly say this was the single best training class I have ever been in, no exaggeration.

I can't stop telling my shooting buddies about it. I'll be back for sure if you all would have me.

To the rest of the class, It was great to shoot with all of you. This was a very advanced class. The depth and breadth of the instruction is a lot to take in at once. Remember and practice what they taught us. Shooting is a perishable skill, you must continue to practice to improve. Practice will not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect. Read your homework, dryfire and keep shooting.

My utmost respect and sincerest thanks to you all for your dedication, patience and enthusiasm.

In Liberty

Juan

ToneDef

Juan,

We would be delighted to have you on the line again! Especially if you are wearing one of those nice, bright ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^  Orange Hats! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Have you attended 2 events? If not, all you have to do is attend one more and you will be eligible!
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

IRONSIGHTS4ME

Thanks ToneDef.

This was the first event for me but "I'LL BE BACK" in my terminator voice.

Next time I will bring friends with rifles. Already working on them and my friends can shoot LOL.

Wow two events, and I might get invited to take an orange hat, that would be special!  :---

JORGE01

This was my first appleseed shoot and was very pleased with the instructors and the shooters.  The instructors were very knowledgeable and helpful; my shooting was improved considerably by their coaching in the event.  I highly recommend this event if you want to learn how to use your rifle to its maximum efficiency.  I hope that more events are hosted at the Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club or other ranges in South Florida, since we need more shooting gatherings.
Thank you all for a very enjoyable two days.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Jim65

To Dr. Bruce, Janet, Tony formerly known as Tony, Mr. Smoak and the Professor, my whole family had an wonderful weekend !!!  Its something we are looking forward to doing again. I had been following  the project appleseed site looking for events and when I saw you were coming to Hollywood jumped right on it. My daughter Frannie really enjoyed the stories , your all not only great instructors but great storytellers. Charlie has his redcoat target on his wall in his apartment and is very proud of his improvement. One other venue or range you may want to try is the Okeechobee Shooting Sports, I think it might be a big draw. http://okshooting.com/  We  will be back. THANK YOU!!!

Jim