News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pensacola, Florida 6-7 April 2013

Started by Engineer shooting, April 08, 2013, 10:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

With 28 shooters on the line Saturday morning the staff was hopping and the students were responding. Thanks to Richard, Ben, Tim and Lori for making a well run event.  Congratulations to two new Riflemen Lawrence and Mark. Well done to Tim and Kevin requalifying. Manda was so close to becoming a new Riflewoman.

Among those who returned Sunday there were many that came close on their first Appleseed to earning the patch.  As General Percy said "They have men (and women) amongst them who know very well what they are about,"
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Tomblin

First Strike...

Twenty-Eight fine patriots shooting the AQT Saturday afternoon...

Young patriots...

Fourteen fine Americans return Sunday...

Tom, hunting for brass pecans Sunday afternoon...

Not a cook to be seen...

Manda, so close, with a 205...

Alchemist, requalifying using iron sights...

And our new Riflemen!

The crew, minus it's hardest working member, the local BOTG Alchemist...

Xaet

Our instruction team were cheerful, patient, and passionate about the history of our nation's founding, and the role of the rifleman in preserving the legacy bequeathed to us by those founders. They moved me from shooting all over the target to clearing the Redcoat target (less the shingle because I lost count on the second magazine), with tight patterns (1-3MOA).

While the time limits and transitions still had me stymied, and so that I only earned a 135 on my last AQT, it was an amazing improvement, and I left convinced that I must earn my Rifleman's badge.

Xaet

Xaet

Special thanks are in order to Rifleman Tim for graciously loaning me and my daughter rifles for the weekend.

Thank you, Tim. I'm already recruiting for October's class. I have one "yes" and two "maybes", and I know where to go for more.

Ranger72

A huge Thank You to all of the instructors that selflessly gave of their time to provide such excellent rifle marksmanship instruction. The revolutionary history that you all provided serves to remind all of us of the sacrifices that were made on our behalf so long ago and why it is so very important that we never forget or take our liberty for granted lest it be lost to us and our descendants.

Tim, thank you again for all of your efforts to coordinate/set up these events and promote Appleseed in our community. The more exposure to this project I experience, the more important I believe this program is!

My son (Just Larry) and I had a great time and learned and relearned invaluable skills and cherished history.

Xaet

Me again.

I posted the previous two from my phone. This is from a keyboard where I can make a few more comments.

1. I could use some time with the sling, adjusting it properly, and ensuring that it's not twisted. I'll ask for some extra instruction in the time before my next Appleseed (maybe early the first morning.
2. I could use some extra time with the seated and standing positions. Both are important on the AQT, and I was not competent with either by the end of the first day.

Also, for any other attendees: both stores here, and the store at the CMP site have slings available. Looks like they're all cotton (no nylons), but that doesn't really bother me.

Thanks again,
Xaet

Alchemist

I think the preference is for the cotton slings.  I've never used the nylon version but the general comment is that they tend to slip more than the cotton slings.

Always made sense to me.

9mm4545

+1 on the cotton slings. They are a bit of a pain when brand new but once broken in they are as easy to adjust as the nylon slings and they don't slip down the arm.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Engineer shooting

For all you Pensacola almost Riflemen and Riflewomen Tallahassee 20-21 April only has two preregistered. If you want/need some one on one instruction here is your chance.

p.s. all the Pensacola Instructors came from Tallahassee or further!
..:..
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

AdobeWalls

A note about USGI slings: Remember these take 1.25 inch rings, not 1 inch.

This is not an endorsement. I prep'd two rifles for Appleseed in 2010, and captured the list of things I needed: 1.25 inch detachable rings from CTD. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=774577 There are some similar 1.25 inch rings that are flat military bar stock, same price, http://www.northwestshootersupply.com/unclemikesmil-specswivelset114inch.aspx, less convenient for attaching the USGI sling hook to the butt of your rifle - reckon how I know.

Ruger Carbine Sling Swivel sets to attach rings to the barrel band of the Ruger 10/22 Carbine -- you don't have this problem with a 10/22 Sporter (no barrel band).  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=781572 .

Mags: Clear 10rd single column Butler Creek Hot Lips mags from CTD http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23971-36.htm (tried 25rd but all jams, exchanged for 10rd).  And a loader (Andres uses it but I don't care for it much), http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/23975-1.html.

1 Blackhawk lace-on high cheek rest from Midway USA for scoped rifle. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=180913

1 Blackhawk Hawktex Tactical check rest (low) from Midway for iron sight rifle. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=129354 Had to modify a bit to fit, but fine when done.  Cheek rests also keep your cheek from sliding off the stock when you sweat, and boy will you sweat.

Christie upgrades (ext. mag release, repl bolt hold-back, bolt buffer, bolt handle).  http://www.brownells.com/1/1/44416-ruger-10-22-accessory-pack-10-22-accessory-pack-christie-christie.html The bolt hold-back is a godsend, so is the extended mag release, but the mag release may cause function problems -- it did in one rifle but not the other.  This is one of the problems of neophytes like me changing rifle parts. Fortunately there is a good Ruger gunsmith in Florida who is an Appleseed instructor. Probably there is one in your town too.

Come to Tallahassee for some fine shooting and range amenities you will never forget!
But you and all the kind of Christ are ignorant and brave,
And you have wars you hardly win, and souls you hardly save.
                            -- Chesterton, Ballad of the White Horse, 1911

The easy way is always mined.  -- Murphy's Law of Combat Infantry

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way.  -- Twain

SteelThunder

Who put all the red food coloring in ya'lls dirt? 

Looks like a great time.  I was with my family in Ft Walton Beach area for Spring Break (and stopped by the National Naval Air Museum in Pensacola) and saw flyers for this shoot when I went sneaking out to browse local gun establishments.  Good job to all!
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata