News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bonfield, IL April 6-7, 2013 AAR

Started by AuntieBellum, April 07, 2013, 11:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

The shooters said they had fun.  And then they promised me they weren't lying.   ;D

So, may the After Action Report begin!  Tell us about your experience, post up some pictures.  I'll be back tomorrow.  ZZZZZzzzzzzzz....
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

sku

Personally I wasn't sure if the Appleseed event would live up to the hype. After this past weekend, I can truly testify that the Appleseed event was more than I could have hoped for.

The instruction and the concepts that were taught were great. I had quite a few aha moments. The concepts made so much sense.  I wish I would have learned about Appleseed years ago.

The volunteer instructors were wonderful. You can see they truly believe in the Appleseed project and that they enjoy sharing what they have learned with others.

Thank you AuntieBellum & Team for your time and for making this a great weekend!

The Nailer

I would like to thank all the shooters for coming out and sharing their weekend with us.  We had a great group of Americans 5 of which had never fired a rifle before and by the end of the weekend everyone had made great improvements.  It is really rewarding to see shooters go from not having rounds on paper to consistently shooting smaller and smaller groups.  I couldn't have asked for a better group of shooters to have spent a weekend with.  I will try and get some pictures posted in the next few days.

AuntieBellum

sku, I'm glad you had a good time.  Your scores were climbing on Sunday, and I'm pretty sure that if you put in some practice and come on back that you'll be right where you need to.   O0

Everyone did very well all weekend.  Despite the wind and dust on Saturday, all of our shooters were attentive and soaked in the instruction well.  Targets were flying off the backers, the target line fell over, the dust filled our eyes and mouths, but we had work to do and no one quit on us.  We had some tough guys with us, no matter their ages - 8 (?) and up.  And it was obvious that the history - our shared heritage - was sinking in.  There were questions and nodding heads and conversation after.  And you get an Appleseed instructor talking about history, and he/she might just never stop.  ;D 

On Sunday we hit it hard and put lots of rounds downrange to make up for lost time.  You all stuck with it, took breaks when you needed to (there's a lot to be said for that - so thank you), and just kept getting better and better.  Our young men - count them, five - under the age of 18 overcame stocks that were too long and rifles that jammed and scopes that were difficult and cross-eyed dominance - and did it well.  It's not easy for an adult to keep up, and you all stayed with it and earned those patches.  So a huge thank you to each and every one of you for joining us.  I know you'll all jump on that 7th step, right?  Tell a friend, tell a family member, come on back, go to a city council meeting, write your representatives, get involved.  You know why now, no excuses. 

Thank you to our hosts, the Illinois State Rifle Association. The range at Bonfield is fantastic, and we thank you for the continued opportunity to use your facilities.  And thank you to everyone in Illinois - I like to do a little border-raiding now and again, so it's nice to see that my westerly neighbors are doing well.  Good instructors and good students all around.   O0

Pictures coming after work, so check back in later.   ^:)^

Kelso

It was great to see such a enthused group of shooters, and to see the progress they made in two days.  Although we didn't get a new rifleman, a couple got very close and with just a little more practice should qualify easily.
As usual I learned a lot.  Special thanks to AuntieBellum for letting me do so much of the instruction on Saturday.  I also learned how to put up a wire target line thanks to 2 clicks.
It was also very nice to meet The Nailer and RKBL for the first time.  Appleseed instructors are the best and nicest people anywhere.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
― Samuel Adams

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders."
― Samuel Adams

undrdawg

Sorry for the late post, but I have to say thank you to all involved. I learned a lot in those two days and got really close to the patch on Sunday. A special thanks goes out to Steck for letting me use her tricked out pink rifle. I am in the process of setting up one close to it but it will be black ;). I'll be back to try again soon.

2 clicks low

Just need sights and a sling. All else if frills (Yea, I got a lotta frills on my rifle). You were very close. Come back, shoot the score and take a hat.

2cl

PS no one will laugh at a rifleman with a pink gun, you gotta know he can use it. LOL
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Prairie Eagle

Quote from: undrdawg on April 19, 2013, 02:47:30 PM
Sorry for the late post, but I have to say thank you to all involved. I learned a lot in those two days and got really close to the patch on Sunday. A special thanks goes out to Steck for letting me use her tricked out pink rifle. I am in the process of setting up one close to it but it will be black ;). I'll be back to try again soon.

Join me, Steck, Kelso and Colycat at waterman tomorrow and Sunday. We have a spot on the line for ya!

AuntieBellum

Uhhhh...am I late?   ;D  Sorry about that - but here are some pictures!  Enjoy, and come back again!!!

Our Posterity (Minus one - does anyone have the day two pic with our young man who only came on Sunday?)

I see a young instructor in this one.  Wesley put his brother through the ringer during ball and dummy!

A star target before the team competition.

The line works together to take down those stars.

And after.

Our winners!

Well done, everyone.  Thank you for a great weekend.