News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Kaysville, UT March 16/23

Started by sharpeyedfirechild, April 07, 2013, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharpeyedfirechild

This shoot was held over the course of two Saturdays in order to fit our shooters and instructors' needs.

The first Saturday was a lovely day at the Wasatch Shooters Association Range in Kaysville, UT. The temperature was just right and we even were a little sunburned by the day's end. The second Saturday showed up with snow on the ground and a chilly wind. The snow melted gradually as the sun came up over the mountains behind our target line, but that wind was with us all day long.   

This was my first official shoot as a Shoot Boss in UT and also my last as I will most likely be moving away to attend graduate school at another university (Southern California guys should keep their fingers crossed  :cool2:). I had the pleasure of being supported by my wonderful instructors including Lynn (lbsnake -RH), Nate (morrisnk - RH), Brian (primitive - IIT4->RH) and Steve (Buzz - RH,SB,SC).  :bow:

We had mostly family participants this shoot. The first Saturday we had 12 shooters and the next Saturday we had 10 shooters.

Jason: Jason came out with Brian (primitive) and he had been to an Appleseed event previously. He was able to further refine his skills and shot a rifleman score on the first Saturday. He was a great student and really took away the message of our three pillars and how to make it all come together.

Jensen crew + Scott: Dave and Paul are brothers and they brought out Paul's sons, Garrett, Dallon and Justin as well as their friend Scott. Paul, Dave and Scott were able to refine their marksmanship while we were able to start Garret, Dallon and Justin down the path of riflemen. All of these men absorbed the information and were able to apply these techniques to their marksmanship. For Dave, everything came together on the second Saturday and he shot his patch with a score of 229. Scott incorporated our techniques and continued to practice throughout both Saturdays. With some dry practice, Scott should be able to shot his patch next Appleseed. Paul learned our techniques and really took to the mat to get them figured out. He came back fighting on the second Saturday and came very close to shooting his patch. Since he was so determined and very persistent, we stayed late and let him run through a few more AQTs. His final top score for the day was 209 following by a few 206's. I am confident that he will shoot his patch at our April shoot. As for the sons, they were wonderful. They all came out with a teachable attitude the first Saturday and really listened to our instruction. Only two were able to make it on the second Saturday and I really appreciated their effort and their good attitudes throughout the entire day so I award Luther Blanchard patches to these two boys.   O0

Spencer & David: This pair was a father and son military pair that came out to join us on the first Saturday. They both improved their skills over the course of the day and left with the information planted in their minds. I hope to see them at another one of our shoots.

Dennis: Dennis is a range officer at Wasatch Shooters Association. He had seen our program run at the range before and decided to come take part in our program. He preserved through both of the two Saturdays and was able to incorporate our methods into his marksmanship. I have a feeling he will be out to join us again.

Valentina: Valentina is Thomas' (a RO at the range) wife and came out to learn our techniques. She came later on the first Saturday and we tried to get her caught up with the instruction. She was able to learn quickly and implement our techniques. Unfortunately, she was not able to join us for the second Saturday due to illness. We look forward to seeing her out again.

Brian: Brian came out to join us on the second Saturday after shooting his patch in October 2011. As he put it, he just came out to see us again, to refresh his skills and donate some money. He was a great addition to our second Saturday and was able to shoot two more rifleman scores of 210 and 212. He turned in his IIT0 PC and received his orange hat to start along the instructor path.

Wyatt: Wyatt came out as a result of Lynn's outreach. Wyatt is a teenager that had some rifle experience but we were able to take him to the next level. He was very helpful and attentive to the instructors and we appreciated his presence. He listened carefully to all of our instruction modules and was able to pick up on all of our key points. He took his first steps down the journey of a rifleman and we look forward to guide him further down that path.

As previously mentioned, everyone improved and had a great time. We were able to break up the days with different history presentations include the Strikes, the DOMs, the Wedding that Never Happened, and the Dear John letter. Thank you all for a wonderful shoot!

Here are the pictures from the shoot: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y9q0fibg9k1w6sk/k5Vf1yCZg0
Please let me know if you are unable to access.

-Chelsea
sharpeyedfirechild (RH, SB)
Daughter of RangeRat and SniperCat, Sister of TrebleShooter and Persistent_1

V

Darn it, now you're making me feel homesick with those photos of Kaysville... ;)

Looks like someone got busy with a better target backer setup than those rusting, sharpedged, heavy as all heck iron things...

Its great to see y'all having fun there.

And if you are in the SoCal region drop me a line, always happy to meetup with Appleseeders.

Cheers
V

lbsnake925

Thanks Chelsea. It is a lot of work being shoot boss. We appreciate your efforts. It was a great shoot. Good people, good times.  lb