News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dulzura, CA March 30/31

Started by Fred, April 01, 2013, 03:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

If you are here because you just signed up on the forum after attending this event, welcome!

This event was a rare venture by Fred to SB in a location so far south in CA that the border with Mexico was only five miles beyond - but it was at a beautiful facility, with friendly club members, on a great weekend, weather-wise.

It was also unusual that the start time on Sat was at 1 PM, making that critical "first day of AS" the critical "first half-day". ::)

We ran people pretty hard on Sat, and then again on Sunday, so that what for most of them was the highlight of the weekend - going up to the 300-yard range - was to my eye a success.

Since most brought only a .22 rimfire, our two guys who brought an AR and an M1A were super nice in allowing the others to fire 3 rounds apiece on that small (9") bulls-eye, so far away that it appeared smaller than the period at the end of this sentence.

The M1A had been zeroed at 100 - and of course, having been fired earlier Sunday at 25M, had a good 25/200 zero.

The students who fired it were told to hold a six o'clock sight picture, and fire just as they did at 25M. I was called away to deal with some club issues, so was not able to see every target afterward, but the first guy up had 4 out of 5 hits on the target, using the "rifleman's trajectory" which all had been taught as early as the day before.

Coming up three clicks over his 25/200, he really nailed the target!

Afterward, we had a pretty long discussion about AS, what it's about, what the future hopefully holds, and how we make this program a success.

I hope at least one or two will pick up the challenge, and embark on the instructor path - they'd make good instructors!

Now, anyone else who was there, please post. (Pictures are always appreciated, too!)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

bob 210

I received the following emaill. Sounds like you all had a great time!

I just wanted to compliment the RWVA on the excellent job the trainers did at the Dulzura Range of the South Bay Rod and Gun Club on March 30th.

I had initially signed up for both Saturday and Sunday without realizing that Sunday was Easter Sunday. Unfortuately, I can't remember the gentlemen's

names involved in the training but believe Fred was the older gentleman. They did a stellar job of demonstrating all the finer points that make the difference

of a casual shooter and a true rifleman. They also explained in great and vivid detail, the history and stories of our founding father's and how they made the

critical difference in our nation's founding. Our group of students ran the gamut from people who had attended several Appleseed events to true tyros

with limited experience and training in long arms. The lesson plans, explanations and patience that the instructor's displayed made the event a memorable

and informative time for all the students involved in the activities. Please express my appreciation to all involved in your excellent organization

for their efforts to improve our shooting skills and make us better citizens of our great Nation.

Denny
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA