News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa CA, 23-24 March 2013

Started by Rocket Man, March 26, 2013, 03:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

Well folks, it was time for Round Two at Burro Canyon last weekend.  Such a nice day to be out in the mountains!  So much better than last year when we got snowed on..!

We had a total of eleven folks join us for the full 3-D Appleseed Experience, joined by frequent Burro Canyon denizens Penny's Dad and Bucklenose, and new Orange Kevin got to break in his hat in style.  With the spring sunshine everyone was in great spirits, we breezed through the safety brief, and hit the line...  :---

In no time at all the opening Redcoats were complaining mightily, and we knew we had a special group with us.  Safe, attentive, squared away, the whole deal.  Did have the odd equipment gremlin as always, but even while we got those sorted out we could see real progress up and down the whole line.  Not even the suicidal squirrel dancing on the range could slow us down!   **)

Sure enough, on Saturday we had our first new Rifleman!  Jon crossed the line first, putting down a sweet 218 on the first AQT of the weekend, then backed it up with a clean run at the Redcoats.  Nice.   :cool2:

But we weren't done, of course.  Sunday we went back to work, reviewing and polishing and practicing and learning new techniques, some of which were known to us Americans over 200 years ago...  it's high time they got dusted off, I says.   ;)   We were joined by the instructing team of Gunman Doc and Athena 1775 who took the reins, and before you could say Isaac Davis we had a whole bunch more Rifleman scores. 

Mike, who earned his patch at the last shoot, came back and proved it was no fluke by doing it again.  And Eric -- in hot pursuit of his son Jon -- managed to outdo the young gun with a best-of-weekend 219.  Outstanding. 

The rivalry was fun to watch.  With the sun in our eyes and brains starting to fry in the heat, Jon and Eric went head-to-head on the last AQT, and came out with a perfect tie...  Tied on their final Redcoats, too.  Something tells me we haven't seen the final chapter of this story.   O0

Thanks to all you folks for coming out again -- the gang just gets better and better.  And next up is the great April 19th shoot.  I can hardly wait for that one.  See you soon!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

My pictures from the shoot.  PM me if  you want a copy in higher resolution.

The line on Saturday morning.  See that green stuff on the ground?  Called "Grass," I'm told.  A rare sight in the desert!

There ain't much more heartwarming than the family that shoots together, is there?

On the right side of the line, Del and Anthony work together on the Ball and Dummy drill.  No dummies here!

Despite the rivalry, Jon and Eric did help each other out.  A lot, actually.  It's all in fun.

Bucklenose and Gunman Doc demonstrating the Steady Hold Factors for the prone position.  David has also stepped up to be a big wheel in Calguns, so we'll be seeing him often.

Our Saturday Rifleman, Jon, earns his patch

... and Eric wouldn't be left behind, overtaking Jon by a fender on the last lap.  Congratulations!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Athena 1775

I only got to join the group on Sunday, but what a great Sunday it was!  A little warm - with a nice breeze - and plenty of good company. :)  It was nice to see some familiar faces (Mike and Dave) and meet some new folks as well.  By the end of the day, we'd made some serious progress in our rifle skills, heard some great stories, killed some incredibly gross-looking "holiday" Oreos (with oozing eye-searing-red filling), eaten a lot of Redcoat cookies (with lovely, homemade, less-vibrant red frosting), and learned a heck of a lot about our heritage.

Despite some equipment issues, and some hitting the "wall" of scores right around the 200 mark, all of our shooters had positive attitudes and the desire to learn and persevere.  I can't think of a better way to spend my Sunday than in the company of such great folks.

On to the pictures!

Anthony and Del prepare to wreak havoc on some squares downrange

Dave, Eric, and Jon shoot from standing

Anthony and Del shoot from standing

Jacob (pennys dad) gets down in the dirt with returning (and requalifying!) Rifleman Mike

Jon, Eric, and Dave in prep for Stage 2 of the AQT

Mike and Jon shooting stage 1 of the AQT

Ryan (Rocket Man) and Joe (Gunman Doc) review transitions to the seated positions

Jon, Eric, and Dave shooting from prone

Jon, Eric, and Dave in prone again

Del and Anthony (with some feedback from David) get ready for Stage 2 of the AQT

Dave, David, Eric, Jon, and Mike taking with their targets downrange

Anthony and Del posting new AQTs

One of my Redcoat Cookies discovers its origins...

Eric receiving his Rifleman patch and rockers

The father/son team of Eric and Jon both received Rifleman patches this weekend!  Bravo! O0

Thanks again to all the shooters and Instructor crew for making this a fantastic event!
Jen (Athena 1775)
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"

Ewcmr2

You guys are stealthy with the cameras, while looking at the previous AARs I thought there wouldn't be many pictures from this one. I guess the great crew of instructors had us focused on our front sights!

Big thanks to Rocket Man, Penny's Dad,  Bucklenose, Athena 1775, Gunman Doc, and Kevin for all the effort and time you put into this. Your dedication shows. Cookies and loaner rifle were added bonus :)

Thanks, Eric