News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

My wife just wants to tag along

Started by jackpine, March 25, 2013, 10:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

I asked my Wife about shooting at an appleseed event and she said she would go with and "just watch" Don't want to push her into things but should I bring a spare rifle and some ammo with anyway?

brianheeter

Absolutely!  If she showed up at a shoot I was working I'd be pleased that she was there to hear the history and I'd try to get her on the line, even if for a little while.  I've heard stories about hesitant mothers and wives who have shown up just to watch but end up on the line out-shooting everybody else there.  Awesome!  Come prepared and be happy she even agreed to take the time to show up at all.  I would be.

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

Pitmaster

Absolutely. I bet she starts to shoot by noon at the latest.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

George Hacker

Make sure she brings eye and ear protection.  Everyone, including spectators, have to wear them.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

slim

Awesome!

... and stop pushing her to shoot right now. Let her know how excited you are that she's joining you but don't apply any pressure at all for her to shoot. You'll end up being the bad guy.

Once she gets to the range, I'd bet my Appleseed paycheck there will be an instructor (or 12!) who will do their best to work with her on whatever she's ready to take on. Shooting's not for everyone. We have plenty of Appleseed jobs that need done and if shooting doesn't really interest her right now, no worries. We'll find something to keep her occupied!

Chances are she'll come around to the shooting. But if she never does, no worries. She can save America just by being there with you.

Congrats on getting your wife on board. As others have said, she'll probably be just as taken with the mission as you are. Welcome aboard. Both of you!

Bullet

Yes, definitely! It can be really scary to sign up for a shooting event if you aren't comfortable shooting and have no idea what to expect. Once she sees how nice everybody is, and how safe and structured Appleseed is, I wouldn't be surprised if she wants to participate.

On the other hand, like others said, do make sure she doesn't feel pressured to shoot. It's awesome if she just comes and hangs out!

Every woman is different, but for me, having information really helps me to feel more comfortable (for example, info about Appleseed, info about my rifle, etc.).

And be sure to get ice cream afterwards to celebrate a day well spent. Or mocha frappes. :)
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

jackpine

thanks all for the quick answers! I do have eye and ear protection for her. Part of the hump to get over is that her only "shooting" exp up till now was pulling the trigger on a bolt action shotgun at about 9. Knocked her on her can!