News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

..Westchester, NY March 23/24 2013 AAR..

Started by Josey Wales, March 25, 2013, 04:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josey Wales

..Westchester County Sportsman Center is located in the Blue Mountain Reservation a Westchester County Park.
Blue Mountain Reservation is a 1,538-acre park in the northwest section of Westchester County. It was aquired in 1926.  It features miles of trails for mountain biking, strolling and nature study, and offers challenging hikes to the tops of two large peaks, Mt. Spitzenberg and Blue Mountain.  The Sportsman Center at Blue Mountain Reservation is a recreation facility offering target ranges.
The 12-mile Briarcliff-Peekskill Trailway, an unpaved trail for hiking, is accessible from the Blue Mountain trail system.  The park contains a bathhouse and trail lodge, as well as two historically significant comfort stations.  These comfort stations were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps and are reminiscent of early 20th century National Park structures. 
..I met the Chief Range Safety Officer at a gun show last year at a White Plains, NY  Gun Show.  He had a table with a display for purpose of promoting the Sportsman Center.  After introducing myself and Project Appleseed I was able to find that he was looking for new and interesting things to take on in order to keep the Sportsman Center up to date and relative to the shooting sports.  We exchanged information and set a date to meet at the range to hash out some finer details.  This is where I had my chance to sell the Project Appleseed program and all went well, we were received with integrity and purpose, but still an obstacle lay ahead.  We had to get approved by the County Deputy Commissioner of parks.  By the time I met The Chief RSO for a second time in order to get the whole proposal package together the events of a few more mass murders had taken place and the sediment for teaching rifle instruction was a scary topic for most.  Thanks to the Chief RSO at the Sportsman Center for believing in the program and making a fine presentation for us to the Deputy Commissioner we were then invited in to host our event.  A true success story for New York in a time when we needed it. .
..The weekend unfolded when VietVet and I left Friday morning to do what Sgtrock likes to call recon work.  We set up the classroom with flags and flyers and targets and books and all sorts of cool promotion materials a Shoot Boss acquires over the years of Appleseeding.  Then we made our way to the action pistol range to set up our line and flags.  That took a bit of figuring due to the standard set ups already in place at the range but VietVet had a great idea so we improvised, overcame and adapted to the situation.  It was around 1430 hours when the working RSO said its time to go.  We said go where? the RSO says "home, the range is gonna close".  Darn thats a short day VeitVet and I said to each other.. County workers......Ha....Bless their souls...........
Hours:
Thursdays      10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Fridays      10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Saturdays      10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sundays      11 a.m. to 4 p.m.          Holidays that fall on Mondays      10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

..Short days so we had to work hard and with purpose to cover all we can with our patrons from the weekend.  Of course we had mornings to do classroom activity from 0830 on so we did all we could indoors first and it was good.  Grumpy1 was our IIT2 who did a fine job advancing to an IIT3 at this event.  Grumpy1 will be a big asset to Team Northeast glad he is on board.  lonerange or better known to us as Gunny was with us and was shooting 248's and 247's all weekend.  I was able to get an Orange hat upon his head this weekend in which I had so much anticipation on doing for a very long time.  I am honored to have been given the opportunity to share with Gunny he is a very special patriot.  No not special like in short bus special, I mean special in, A man that very well knows what he is about!!. 
..We made 3 new Riflemen this weekend and we have three more dates set up for 2013 with the next in May nearly sold out already.  This range is only 50 minutes from Manhattan and in striking distance to Strong Island so lets get this place rolling folks.  Fill the lines, fill the buckets, bail bail bail is what we do and we need you to join in, sign up, come shoot, come learn, come advance come instruct come teach come help spread the word.............LIBERTY......................AMEN....(I Believe)..............................

.............Strength & Honor......................Josey Wales...........................Join or Die................................. 

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Josey Wales

VietVet

Special thanks to the Westchester County Sportsman Club for hosting the first Appleseed event at their location. Their hospitality was outstanding. Couldn't have made us feel more welcome then they did. Looks as if we have a new home in Westchester County.
As of now this is the closest outdoor range to NYC and the next event in May is just about sold out already. This Range is beautiful. Thanks WCSC!

Where do I begin? So much to say, so many to thank.

This was a GREAT Shoot. Those who attended all had terrific weekend, Shooters and Instructors both. Weather held pretty good, although the wind did put a chill through all both days. We endured.
  Saturday we had 10 Shooters on the line, Sunday 7, all eager to learn Marksmanship and hear the History and learn their Heritage.

By days end Sunday we had 3 new Rifleman, (Jody, Ed and Robert) 1 Repeat Rifleman (Gunny) and the grand prize of the weekend.....we managed to get an Orange Hat on Gunny (longrange here on the forum). We've been after him for quite some time and finally "hatted" him this Shoot.
For sure he will be an asset to the entire program. Always shoots at least a 245 or higher on the AQT's. He's scored 250 several times. Congrats and thanks longrange.
Congrats and thanks also to our new Rifleman and to all those who attended and Instructed.
Job well done all.

Here are some photos. Enjoy...............

OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Grumpy1

Another Great Weekend for Appleseed.

Many Thanks to the Westchester County Sportsmans Center for the opportunity to use this great facility. Thanks to Josey Wales our Shoot Boss, and Instructor Viet Vet for all your hard work and mentoring. Saturday we had ten shooters, and Sunday we had seven, the weather was good , but a little chilly in the shade, all of the shooters persisted, everyone made a great effort. Three new Rifleman this weekend, Jody ,Ed and Robert, great shooting, and keep up the good work. We also had two Young Patriot Patches awarded this weekend, Hanna and Anthony, Thank You,

I would also like to thank longrange, who we all know as Gunny, for taking the Orange Hat. I know he will be as much fun to work with as he is to shoot with O0

Thanks again to all who attended, and I hope to see you all in May
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Josey Wales

..Rich, thanks for the pictures they came out great as usual.. 
..Also, thank you for all the support you give, you are a reliable partner.  A beacon in a dark and uncertain world..

..Jon, Thank You for believing in the program, it is because of people like you, who hear the message and do not sit idle that we will get the message of Liberty through..  Keep up the good work..

..Have a Blessed Easter Friends & Neighbors.... @) @) @) @)............................Josey Wales....

R1SGx2

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."