News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, Georgia March 23-24

Started by DrJohn, March 25, 2013, 01:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Probably the most significant factor in our latest Appleseed event at Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, was how bad the weather conditions were on Saturday morning. Temperatures were in the high 40's, the sky was completely overcast, winds were gusting, and we were surrounded by thundershowers. We had use of a few small portable canopies, but not nearly enough to keep us dry or our equipment clean. Our 12 gallant students were given the option of honorably picking up and leaving, but elected to forge on in spite of conditions. This instructor was deeply impressed that our students were so mentally tough and so persistent that several, seen shivering from the cold and damp, had to have strong encouragement to get in their cars and warm up, before they would temporarily withdraw. My heartiest commendation to all of you.

Sunday the weather forecast was for more of the same, and as a matter of fact there were severe thunderstorms in the area all night. Yet Kiley, Felton, Jon and Nick returned, and were were blessed with nearly an ideal day for shooting and learning more American heritage. Although the sky was still completely blanketed by dark clouds, the wind was insignificant, the threatened thunderstorms never occurred, and temperatures warmed into the low 50's. We altered our instruction, however, to allow for the anticipated rain, and concentrated very strong one-on-one instruction on each student, building some strong fundamentals.

I strongly encourage each of our fine students to continue to dry fire on a regular basis (naturally!) and to remember the high price paid by our heroic ancestors to purchase the Liberty we value so highly. More important than the Six Steps of Firing the Shot is the Seventh Step, to carry the message of Liberty to all those who will listen, and to bring as many as possible to following Appleseed events. Huzza to you all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

Saturday it was really cold and windy as DrJohn mentioned, but the shooters persevered. A rifleman persists!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Roswell

Shooters gathered under cover for Instruction and a back-to-back telling of the first Two Strikes.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24

Roswell

Sunday, we went out to 100 yards and Shooters were able to learn firsthand IMC and talking targets at KD and validate what they had learned.

goose

Ross,

Excellent picture proof of the fine weekend.  I'm not saying it wasn't a foul weather Saturday that we had in Macon, but there was a shoot in Tallahassee, FL that was a soaking flood of a Saturday, as the  pics in their AAR showed.

Are you thinking about going to Toccoa on April 6-7?

It's a very active year for AS in Georgia, so I hope to see you again among the events.

Take good care,

-Jim / goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Roswell

Quote from: goose on March 26, 2013, 12:48:43 AM
Ross,

Excellent picture proof of the fine weekend.  I'm not saying it wasn't a foul weather Saturday that we had in Macon, but there was a shoot in Tallahassee, FL that was a soaking flood of a Saturday, as the  pics in their AAR showed.

Are you thinking about going to Toccoa on April 6-7?

It's a very active year for AS in Georgia, so I hope to see you again among the events.

Take good care,

-Jim / goose

goose,

I'm not sure about Toccoa. I've never been. I need to map it out and check my schedule. What's the camping situation there?

Either way, I am planning on being at the Elberton IKD, but that doesn't mean we can't meet up some time in between. It  was a pleasure working with you and all the other instructors this weekend. I feel blessed to know such professionals who share the fire that burns in my heart for Liberty.

I hope to see you again soon too.

Ross / Roswell

brianf31

Though we started out with less than ideal conditions, the shooters ignored wet knees and cold hands to make good progress. With improving conditions and more instruction, groups tightened in the afternoon. We ran 2 AQTs Saturday and we saw several scores in the high 180's. Nice shootin!

Sunday was a nice blend of instruction, demo, drills and AQTs. We reviewed natural point of aim (NPOA) in detail and showed what it meant to relax into the sling.  Shooters ran drills for NPOA, mag change, transitions and the seated position -sometimes all wrapped into one. Even with all of this, we managed 4 AQTs on Sunday before the long distance component. If shooters were tired, they didn't show it as they continued to make fine progress. A few mechanical issues mixed in some adversity, but that proved to be no problem for these persevering shooters. 

Shooters, keep on practicing perfectly. Dry fire often, shoot by the numbers and you will continue to improve. More importantly, tell others about Appleseed and get 'em out to a shoot!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

connibear

this shoot was very enjoyable in that the shooters didn't complain about the rain, they were given the option to wrap it up and go home, but they stayed. thankfully weather got better. The shooters did very good in the bad conditions and got better when the weather cleared a little. Like was alredy said there were high scores and i think the next appleseed they attend they will get it. Good and teachable attitudes.

To the instructor corp. of georgia it was a pleasure to work with you all, not just at macon but also waco, and rising fawn, I learned alot and new friendships made. If any of you make out through missouri let me know and we'll get together. Look forward to working with you all again someday.

I'll post pics sometime tomorrow evening.                       connibear
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

connibear

here are some pics.

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

connibear

some more O0