News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru, CA March 23-24, 2013 AAR

Started by Camljr, March 25, 2013, 02:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camljr

It was a beautiful weekend for Liberty at Piru this weekend...

13 fine americans showed up to learn how to shoot better, and got a bonus... a dose of their heritage to wake up their inner fire for the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Early redcoat showed we had A LOT of work to do. 1 person got all three in the 300 (previous Appleseeder) and 3 persons got all three in the 100. That's it!

Only three had attended a prior Appleseed, the other 10 were first timers, most referred by a friend. The 7th step is alive and well in California!

Between Bob and I, we got through the instruction fairly quickly and got in a ball and dummy drill before lunch. Ken (asminutemman) was a great help to the shooters on the line!

Lunch was fairly well received, with ken in full Garb telling the story, no one wanted to break away to shoot my musket during the story... they were fully involved!!! :-X

We ended the day with 4 shooter getting all three in the 400, 5 in the 100, and 3 got the bonus plank. No riflemen the first day, but we got a few knocking on the door, Don Davis (sat Only)got a 189, I bet he would have made it if he came back for Sunday! Jim got a 163. improved, but not quite there...

Sunday saw 12 return to gulp in the firehose of information we were teaching. Sunday am redcoats showed 1=400, 2=300, 5=100, and 4=bonus plank. We started out the morning with Equipment problems on a rifle or two (we told them not to touch their sights). and someone forgot to put back the mag release pin after they cleaned it. I improvised and found an allen wrench close to size and Reggie Jr. had a pair of bolt cutters in his truck. we cut it to length and ....IT WORKED!!!!
Thanks Reggie!

History at lunch was excellent as usual, We had a surprise visit from Phil (V) who wowed them with his poignant rendition of the third strike... as always...

AQT GRIND!!! we got started slowly, going down after each stage at first. Improvement was showing. We carded sights, talked them through NPOA, and things started coming together for some of the shooters.

We ended the day with 1=400, 1=300, 5=100, and 4=bonus planks... and a cleared redcoat! Actually, everyone was amazed how their 3 shot groups were an inch or less across, with one maybe just outside the red. Amy was especially ecstatic that she almost cleared the redcoat, when she  had 1 foot groups on Saturday morning! Congrats to you Amy!!! You did especially well, shot a 172 and almost cleared the redcoat! You will get it next time, for sure... O0  Chris scored a 188, pretty good for his first time... O0

We ended the day with 2 RIFLEMEN!!!   :~    :---    O0  Jim scored a 227 and backed it up with a 231.  O0 Awesome score! ~~:)  and Steve scored a 213, AND STEPPED INTO AN ORANGE HAT BY VOLUNTEERING TO HELP US INSTRUCT!!! 
Welcome to the California Instructor Cadre, Ventura-Steve, you will be a great asset. ^-^

It was an excellent day spent with other like minded people, and I made a few friend along the way...  Remember, you meet the nicest people at an Appleseed...... I do......Tell a friend  @@)

I will post pictures tomorrow....

Others please feel free to post or comment... :pop:
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

here are a few pics....

We had a visitor Saturday morning....

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Ventura-Steve

Thanks! We had a GREAT time!
I'll add more after work :)

Yuki improved to the point where she shot a 44 on the 1st stage and she no longer has the classic leaning back stance that we've all seen.  She's looking forward to next time and a purple patch.

Phil,  Yuki says your demonstration with the sling Sunday afternoon is what really made the difference for her and her shooting really improved after she started to use the sling for real  support.  Thanks.

Camljr

more pics....

Rifleman Steve....

Rifleman Jim....

New orange hat!

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

Psych Doc

Wow! I am sorry I missed this one. Looks like it was awesome! O0

jrh-in-socal

Amy & I had a great time at this (our first, but not last) Appleseed.  Thanks to all for the terrific instruction and heritage reminders.

aimlesskite

I second Jim's comments!  I'm amazed at how much better I was by the end of this training, both at handling my rifle properly and successfully hitting my targets.  I really enjoyed the historical education part of this training as well. 

The instructors were all excellent, so friendly and helpful.  Special thanks to Cameron for encouraging me and making me believe I could do it. 

It was nice also to meet some other people from the area with similar interests. 

All in all, it was a great way to spend my weekend!

:)

aimlesskite

P.S. I love that first pic that Jim posted, check out the cows strolling down the road in the background!

Camljr

Yeah, the cows and their babies are quite a sight and we love to see them....
Except when they leave presents all over the Appleseed range!!!   $$-0

Quote from: aimlesskite on April 03, 2013, 12:35:35 AM
P.S. I love that first pic that Jim posted, check out the cows strolling down the road in the background!
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt