News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR, Lebabnon, Ct March 16-17, 2013

Started by TOMINCT, March 20, 2013, 12:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

A cool, somewhat cloudy at times weekend was the start of the season in Ct for Appleseed at the Bozrah Rod and Gun Club in Lebanon, Ct. This did not dampen the spirits of those who attended.

Saturday morning began with 15 shooters, some new and some trying hard again to become rifleman. After the standard safety briefing the morning redcoats were engaged at the usual distance of 25 meters. We ended up with a 400 yard, 2 200 yard and 5 100 yard redcoat perforators. Not a bad start, but room for improvement none the less.

Jay Haich and CaptMac delivered some solid and sage instruction on the finer points, followed by the attendees putting it into practice.Squares targets were engaged up thru the mid day lunch break. After lunch and the first strike cadence and sitting and standing positions were covered.
As the sun began to settle and wind speed increased the AQT was introduced. Although there was time for only one before the end of the day redcoat, Ct had it's first Rifleman in 2013. Dana, with a solid 222 score on his first attempt. HUZZAH!

The afternoon RC was thoroughly demolished with a finale of 1 400, 2 300, 4 200, and 6 100 yard effective shooters. HUZZAH!

Sunday began colder with the wind becoming somewhat steady and gusting at times enough to lift mats and equipment from their proper place on the firing line. After the am redcoat and a tune up on a squares target the AQT grind commenced.

With the mid day break fast approaching a return shooter, Pete, became the second RM of the weekend with a score of 233. Way to go Pete! His secret? Breaking out the 22 and leaving the 8mm for KD later in the day!

Another RM, Rick with a 212, made in early afternoon, Must have been after he thawed from the 20 degree overnight stay.

As the day wound down I talked the shooters into going inside to finish up the day and score their targets. Behold, TWO more riflemen! Corey with a 213 and Rick, another repeat shooter with a 232! HUZZAH!

This was a great weekend not only for the shooters but for the instructor crew as well. It had been a while for many of us and it was good for me to work with the CT crew in general. CaptMac, Jay Haich and our esteemed vernic82 made it run like a well oiled machine.

You could not ask for a safer, more teachable group of shooters to work with. Everyone listened and I believe enjoyed the event and improved throughout the weekend.

The Bozrah Rod and Gun Club has hosted many events in the past and a big thanks goes out to them for having the facilities available. We plan to have more there this year, dates TBD.

With some luck pics should be up soon.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

CTShooter

Tom
Did you get my pm from last week? I'm still trying to become an instructor.
Rifleman

Jay Haich

AWSOME!
That is how I describe my experience this weekend.
Firstly we had "very good" weather for this time of the year (of course it was cold... its March in New England).
Then we had very safe shooters with the one thing all Instructors hope and pray for: A TEACHABLE attitude. Thanks a lot, you guys made it a pleasure to spend the weekend with you.

Thank you to the Bozrah Rod and Gun Club for hosting this event.

More may follow tomorrow....

Here are some pics:

Is the line ready......ummmm I think not.

This explains why they are not ready...

That's better:

Ball & Dummy 1

Ball & Dummy 2

Ball & Dummy 3
Lets talk about that shot..... it will take a while as you did so many things right ;D

What? You thought I was joking when I said he did so many things right. See for yourself!
Congrats Rifleman Rick (216)

Congrats Rifleman Pete (233)

Congrats Rifleman Dana (222) - achieved on his first AQT :bow:

And in case you do not believe me.... lets go prove that "what works at 25yds also works at 100yds"

Lets round out the afternoon with a little History and Heritage

I'll end with a challenge to Keith and Dani: POST YOUR PICS!!!
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

Josey Wales

..Great Job.. Jay, CaptMac, Tom & vernic82..

..Great range, great Instructor crew and the line is full of men and thats a good sign for applessed.  Lord knows CT needs this so thanks CT Instructors..

...........Strength & Honor.................Josey Wales.................................
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

TOMINCT

Here's a couple more from late in the day Sunday.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Jay Haich

Congrats to our new Riflemen in the photos:

Corey (212) and Rick (232)

B Safe
JH
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

Bob Paris

Thank you for all your hard work. Your instuction was great and the history made it fun.