News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Apr. 27th Rose Hulman Event

Started by slim, March 10, 2013, 05:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Quote from: DaveD on April 08, 2013, 10:09:59 AM
If you want to go that route, I can check with the Club about getting trained to use the Trap House.  Will involve extra $

You know he is just maneuvering so that he gets to sit in the concrete tower and everyone has to call him "range control".
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

slim

A Brown Bess demo would be awesome! I have one from the group buy to show around but it's in non-firing condition.

An 870-style shotgun w/knoxx stock would be cool. Send it!

Quote from: DaveD on April 08, 2013, 10:09:59 AMIf you want to go that route, I can check with the Club about getting trained to use the Trap House.  Will involve extra $
Lets not go that far. (Although it does sound pretty cool!)

I was thinking more like someone could use a hand thrower if guys wanted to take a shot at hitting a bird. The main point of this would be to illustrate the difference between the "tiny" bullet of a .22LR (or any rifle for that matter) and the gigantic shot pattern of a shotgun. - And to make the connection of why it's easier to use a fouler than it is a rifle for things like birds on the wing.

Is there a safe place to do shotguns? My thoughts are we'll do the Appleseed line on the far right, pistols in the middle,  the "KD" line on the 100 and then shotguns in the grass on the left. Is there enough room and would that be safe? Last year we were able to keep everyone in line and cease fire the entire line to change targets, etc.

Slow2Speak

Quote from: slim on April 08, 2013, 06:44:32 PM

I was thinking more like someone could use a hand thrower if guys wanted to take a shot at hitting a bird. The main point of this would be to illustrate the difference between the "tiny" bullet of a .22LR (or any rifle for that matter) and the gigantic shot pattern of a shotgun. - And to make the connection of why it's easier to use a fouler than it is a rifle for things like birds on the wing.

BIG PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brown

**) **) **)Big Piece!!! BIG PIECE!!! **) **) **)

Quote from: Slow2Speak on April 08, 2013, 09:33:55 PM
Quote from: slim on April 08, 2013, 06:44:32 PM

BIG PIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

techres

Will send the shotty and some 12 ga. birdshot with it.  I will send extra 20 ga ammo that I have no use for if someone would send a 20g to shoot it.

Warning is obvious here: if you have this many different things happening at once, you need to be ever more careful on control and clear in action.

But I am sure that is obvious.

AuntieBellum

PM incoming to those instructors signed up to work the event, plus IN senior instructors.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Brown

Uh oh. Boss wants to talk to us. ~~:) &)

Quote from: AuntieBellum on April 09, 2013, 01:31:26 AM
PM incoming to those instructors signed up to work the event, plus IN senior instructors.

slim

*** UPDATE ***

We're going to have a classroom-heavy morning (fun with numbers!) that transitions into some squares. After lunch we'll do some field shooting in all three positions and then assault weapons familiarization "introduction to modern KD rifles" and wrap up NLT 4:00.

Since nobody seems to know the official policy on pistols (and there's been lots of debate on that topic recently) we're scrapping that entirely. Same with shotguns. No tomahawks (or slashers, Ratchett!) basketballs, boomerangs, etc.

.22LRs and KD rifles only.

Ratchett

DANG!  !@#)             

(JK---LOL)
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

DaveD

Weatherman is calling for additional rain Tues & Wed, then again Friday & Saturday  So range will be squishy with some mud.

How do you want the lines set up?  Are you going to want target boards @ the 100  & how many or just steel?  I have two 25M Stage 1 and one 4" round AR500 steel.  I have two D targets that can go to the 100

I can set up 25 spaces on the 25M .....  could shift a few of them to the 100 if wanted.   :)

Also remember we can't put anything down range until 1000 hrs   &)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

AuntieBellum

Do you have a rifle count yet. As in, do you need more? I can send an additional two 10/22s if you need 'em. And a Federal bulk pack.

AuntieBellum

How many shooters? 

What's our rifle count? 

How do we get them all to Cloverdale??? 

Lots of offers of rifles, but without a drop-off point/point man for the job, the rifles don't get there.  I could maybe pick up a couple tomorrow evening, but I don't have a lot of space to work with since I also have to fit my little sis and two dogs with crates and overnight bags in the car.  So, my official count that I'm 100% sure to drop off Saturday AM:

5 10/22s (one only has a zip-tied sling, though)
1 Marlin 60
1 Federal Bulk Pack

I'll label all of "my" gear with pink garage sale type stickers and write down gear on an index card, too.  (Some of "my" gear is SY's that just so happens to always end up in my garage.   >:D)  I'd recommend everyone do something similar.  I'll also put mags in the cases with the rifles to try and make it even more simple.  I'll be picking up my gear at the end of the day.

I also don't have to be at the speedway until 9:30, so I can stick around for a bit and help with check-in.  My friendly puppies can help with meet and greet.  ;)  Do you need anything else? 

Brown

As Slim knows I may not be at this event afterall. if anyone was planning to use me as gun runner may need to make alternate plans to get rifles to the line

SPQR

I am sending a kit.  I need a drop off point as well.  I will not be able to be there on Sat morning but will be there later.  Drop off day for me is thursday.  Can DaveD or Spitfire take this stuff offamy hands?
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

spitfire51

Can't do Thursday, but I can pick up anything that needs picking up on Friday before 4:00 pm
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

DaveD

My Thursday & Friday is/are booked
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

AuntieBellum

SPQR, I could meet you in Indy tomorrow night as long as this kit of yours isn't too big.

Note: Earliest I could get there is 7pm.

AuntieBellum

Edited with new info.

Okay, I got info.
Approx. 25 shooters.

.22lr
AB - 6
YHJ - 4 (Picked up by AB at some point between now and Saturday AM unless he and spitfire can meet up.)
spitfire - 2
slim - 4
Ratchett - 4-5
DaveD - 1
Maynard - 1

Looks like we need 2-3 more.  SPQR, what's in your kit?  Maynard, you got any you can bring?

DaveD

I've got one 10/22. 

Planning to set up target line Friday @ 1500.  Steel will go up Saturday morning.

Thomas Jefferson

yellowhousejake

Do they need eyes and ears?

Who is driving this chariot?

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

AuntieBellum

Yes to eyes and ears.  Slim just told me it'd be nice if each LTR kit had eyes, ears, mats, chairs, etc.

Chairs will not fit in my vehicle with everything else.  Mats are questionable, but I'll see what I can do.  I've only got two mats, anyway.  I have a few sets of eyes (4-5?), but not many.  I'll send what I've got with a bottle of foam ears.

I just sent a text to SPQR about maybe meeting in Indy tonight.  If tonight doesn't work for him, I dunno how his stuff is getting to Cloverdale. 

And I seriously still don't know how all of this is gonna fit in my car.  My 90 lb sister might have to ride to Indy with a 40 lb husky puppy in her lap.  So if anyone has other suggestions, I'm VERY open to ideas.  I'm trying to be helpful, but I have other commitments this weekend that I also need to take care of, hence the dogs and the sister who cannot be left at home.  I also do not have a safe place to park my vehicle Friday evening, so that's a little concerning for me as well with all of this gear.

Quote from: yellowhousejake on April 25, 2013, 09:49:32 AM
Do they need eyes and ears?

Who is driving this chariot?

YHJ

slim

Lets shoot for 12 LTR kits instead of 25. Since we can't shoot too early - and they're nerds anyway - we'll do a special "numbers " presentation and they can work as a team to figure their own IMC. They can switch off as shooter/coach.

We'll need steel only at 100.

Anyone with ARs and/or AKs please bring them.

Dave, can the range accommodate a .50bmg?

slim

I'll stop by Harbor Freight tonight after work to get eyes/ears for everyone.

Maynard

I'll bring my LTR and an extra mat.  I don't have any extra eye protection, but I'll bring a bunch of foam earplugs.
I will also bring 1000 rounds of Winchester Super X.  It doesn't run well in my rifle (7-10% light strikes), but someone else can use it.

AuntieBellum

It looks like you've got 12 with just the instructors signed up now (slim, Ratchett, spitfire, DaveD, Maynard, right?).  I gotta stop by there anyway to finalize a purchase with DaveD, so that's 18 if I bring mine.  We're at 22 once we get YHJ's.  SPQR has to show up at some point Saturday to get the map banner from me, too.  If we can get SPQR's kit somehow, you should be set with rifles for all, I'm guessing.  You sure you only want 12?

AB

Quote from: slim on April 25, 2013, 11:35:38 AM
Lets shoot for 12 LTR kits instead of 25. Since we can't shoot too early - and they're nerds anyway - we'll do a special "numbers " presentation and they can work as a team to figure their own IMC. They can switch off as shooter/coach.

We'll need steel only at 100.

Anyone with ARs and/or AKs please bring them.

slim

Quote from: AuntieBellum on April 25, 2013, 03:30:14 PMYou sure you only want 12?
If we can get more, lets get 'em! But, don't leave your puppy in Indy because you don't have room. If we have to run with 12 we can do so. 20+ would be pretty cool - and epic video-worthy. "Oh techres...."

I stopped after work tonight and picked up 25 sets of eye protection. With Maynard's foamies we should be covered on eye/ear pro. I'll encourage each shooter to bring something to lay on if they'd like. Between what we have available and what they bring, we should be fine.

Thanks everyone for your assistance with this.

techres

Techres cannot come and play as he is leading a weekend campout teaching other potentially important life skills to people that do not have them.

I will try and get spare rifles to Hawk and he can get them to Ratchet and then somehow they can get back to me.  No Krink or Suppressor, but rifles none the less.

techres

DaveD

Cannon will work, just don't want too many BIG holes in the berm  >:D
Quote from: slim on April 25, 2013, 11:35:38 AM

Thomas Jefferson

slim

I believe we're good on ammo.

A couple folks have volunteered .22 ammo and one guy even donated some 7.62x39. I figure we'll get each kid 10 rds on the AK and another 10 on an AR. Ought to leave them with just the right amount of "I've done it before" combined with, "Man, I gotta get me one of those!"