News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Apr. 27th Rose Hulman Event

Started by slim, March 10, 2013, 05:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Hello Hoosiers,

We're having a special 1-day event for some of the young men of Rose Hulman Institute of Technology at Cloverdale on Apr. 27th. This will be the 2nd event and we're taking the lessons we learned last year and applying them this year - specifically MORE PIZZA!!!  ^:)^

We're also looking for a couple loaner rifle kits. If you have a Liberty Training Rifle (as you very well should!), a set of eyes/ears, a shooting mat, folding chair, etc., please send a PM to "Brown" here on the forum and coordinate with him. We only need about a dozen and I believe he has about 1/2 of that covered already. We won't need too much .22LR but if you have some to send with your rifle or would like to donate, we'll gladly accept it for the event.

The big deal this year will be donated center fire ammo. Some of these future engineers have never seen or handled a firearm of any type. To remedy that, we're going to have a "show and tell" or (to keep it AS-friendly) an "intro to KD rifles." Huzzah!  :--- We'll need donations of .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .308/7.62x51, .30-06, etc. If you have some you'd like to donate, please pass it on to your Shoot Boss at your next AS event. Can you imagine if every Hoosier at every Appleseed event in the next few weeks donated just 20rds of ammo?  :---

We'll need a few volunteers to staff the event  :sos: as well. If you have a fun rifle that you'd like to familiarize the future of America with, bring it! This is a pretty quick and easy event. These young men come sorted out and there's not a whole lot of "work" involved. - And there's pizza!

Hope to see all of you on Apr. 27th. Thanks for your assistance and donations. See ya!  -:)

Brown

I can supply a total of 4 LTR rifle kits .
please PM me with what you can loan and we can make arrangements to meet up somewhere and I can transport all the materials to the event.

Please make sure to label everything just as we did last year. that worked out really well.
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Ratchett

I have LTRs and will travel, was a great time last year!!

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

techres

I can supply steel targets, a pair of .22 rifles (plinkster and 15-22), and if someone is bringing an AK/SKS I can likely supply some surplus Yugo ammo (brass but slightly corrosive).

I have a bag of ~500 Federal .22lr ammo that may, or may not be very good.  It got wet at a seed some time ago and needs cleaned up.  Let me see if I can clean it up and do a sample test.

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Brown

I can bring the SKS and Mosin. Can also supply 1000+ rds of Remington .22LR

techres

They are engineering students!  I have a tube fed 22 semi that I can send too!  That should be cool for some kid.

Will there be an AK or AR there?  They have to have exposure to those platforms.  Slim?

Ratchett

I have M1. M1A, XCR, .30 Carbine...plus 2-3 10/22s, M&P 15/22, and Marlin 795 that I can bring.

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

SPQR

just a couple bangers, huh ratch?

I can through in an LTR kit. 
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Ratchett

Brown

will throw in the AR also.

just for grins will bring the 30-30 lever action. Even got the cowboy hat to match! ;D

Pitmaster

Quote from: Brown on March 11, 2013, 02:23:41 PM
will throw in the AR also.

just for grins will bring the 30-30 lever action. Even got the cowboy hat to match! ;D

Don't know if I can make it or not, but I do have a Marliin 1895 in 45/70 with some BP loads. As well as a Brown Bess.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

spitfire51

I'll kick in my Ruger LTR and Marlin 795.  I'll throw the AR and Garand in the car for show-and-tell-and-shoot.  I'll know in a week if I can for sure attend this event, and if so I can help Brown collect loaner items if needed.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

DaveD

I've got 3 steel and the target line for 25 shooters.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

slim

You guys are awesome!

Sounds like all I need to do is show up. True Hoosier SB'in. Huzzah!

JV

i can loan two marlin 795s, one with techsights, one with scope, I will be working that weekend, so the AR and the garand will be staying home. if ammo is needed, let me know and i will see what i can come up with as we get closer.
Quote from: ATM on August 14, 2012, 11:37:57 AM
It does not take a majority of cats to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men and breaking stuff in their houses.

techres

I gave slim ~500 rounds of Federal .22lr and 160 rounds of 7.62x39 for the AK's.  I will get rifles to someone going that way before the event.

AuntieBellum

3 10/22s (2 scopes, 1 tech-sights) and 1 Marlin 60.  .22lr ammo count will have to wait until after April 21 when I know what's left.  And potentially not much.  :(

What centerfires do you want?  I can drop them off that morning and pick them up at the end.  I need to be in Indy that day, anyway.  Or send them with Rimshot if he can make it.  Should have a small amount of ammo for each.  And plenty of ammo for the Mosin.

Enfield
Mosin
AR-10
bolt-action .308
AR-15
M1
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

Two 10-22s, one scoped.
One 795 setup just like the marlin LTR.
Savage 62, scoped.
M1
SMLE

I'll likely instruct as well, not certain yet if I can be there.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

slim

Anyone have any pistols and/or shotguns they'd like to offer up?

These young men need familiarized on that part of 'merica too!

Brown

specific calibers or types?

Pump, semi auto, wheelgun,single shots?

techres

15/22
plinkster
22 tube rifle
cricket (no suppressor though)

Ratchett

You want .45s, .9mms, .357/.38S+P, .22...what???
12, 16, or 20g?   Not sure what I can acquire....

spitfire51

Quote from: slim on March 29, 2013, 05:44:58 PM

I'd be happy to introduce them to the 1911.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Pitmaster

Quote from: slim on March 29, 2013, 05:44:58 PM

Need shotgun ammo? If so, how many rounds? I bought some cases of those Federal Breast Cancer Pink 12 ga. shells last year. Be happy to donate and figure out how to get them down there. I'm sure someone at the Fred meeting in 2 weeks can get them south a ways.

I can't commit to attending but would like to.

Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

slim

For shotguns I'm thinking maybe we should have a single shot shotgun, a pump shotgun, and a semiauto. Is there an area we can set up to bust up a few birds? Intro to clays, maybe? Perhaps even a slug/buckshot/birdshot demo for the whole crew?

Pistols, probably about the same. A mix of different styles and caliber where the guys can see first-hand how each works, the difference in size and accuracy, and how to operate each.

The more I think about it, the more we should probably set up a demo for the entire group (where Instructors explain and fire each) and then break up into stations they'll rotate through to shoot a sampling of each style firearm.

yellowhousejake

I thought this was an Appleseed.
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

slim

This is a "special event."

Based on feedback from last year's event - and at the request of the student liaison - we're adding a broader familiarization to various firearms. He's expressed the need for these "Call of Duty" experts to be familiarized with the real world applications of various firearms and would like for these students to be exposed to more than just .22LRs.

We're also going very heavy on IMC/KD since they're engineering students. And of course, the highlight of the day will be the Three Strikes, told with references to Star Wars.  :cool2:

I appreciate any suggestions you (or anyone else) may have.

techres

Have an 870 clone with a knoxx recoil reducer stock they might find interesting at a function level.  Can send it if you want.

Pitmaster

I wish I could make it. I'm sure they would like a Brown Bess demo.
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

DaveD

Quote from: slim on April 07, 2013, 09:38:48 PM
This is a "special event."

Based on feedback from last year's event - and at the request of the student liaison - we're adding a broader familiarization to various firearms. He's expressed the need for these "Call of Duty" experts to be familiarized with the real world applications of various firearms and would like for these students to be exposed to more than just .22LRs.

We're also going very heavy on IMC/KD since they're engineering students. And of course, the highlight of the day will be the Three Strikes, told with references to Star Wars.  :cool2:

I appreciate any suggestions you (or anyone else) may have.
WOW!

If you want to go that route, I can check with the Club about getting trained to use the Trap House.  Will involve extra $
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson