News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Private Appleseed for Sea Scouts, St. Augustine, FL Feb. 23-24, 2013

Started by 9mm4545, February 25, 2013, 01:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

What a great weekend! This private Appleseed for a group of Sea Scout Cadets exceeded all my expectations and was the best Appleseed that I have been to in a very long time. Lady Liberty will be quite safe in the hands of these young people and I have to say that I am very impressed with the Sea Scout program.

With twenty students ranging in age from 11 to 17 years of age and ranging in experience from none to some, we were underway on a overcast Saturday morning with the usual safety briefing, line commands, and an initial Redcoat target. With lots of rifles and gear loaned out, much time was taken in getting our students fitted out but the efforts started quickly showing results. Using a program of instruction which made more use of individual instruction, including abundant dry firing, the concepts of a solid shooting position including sling use, Natural Point of Aim, and the essential Six Steps were absorbed and the patterns on paper started becoming groups. By lunchtime, we were sighted in and our students were using Rifleman's Cadence. The first steps in the Revolutionary War--Lexington, Concord, and Meriam's Corner--were brought forth during the afternoon and our students became familiar with names such as Captains Isaac Davis and John Parker, Paul Revere, General William Heath and of course, the actions of King George and his minions in North America. The information fire hose continued with instruction in positions other than prone, transitions, magazine changes, and an opportunity to shoot the challenging AQT. Unsurprisingly, by the end of the day we had vastly improved the marksmanship of everyone. A bit of dinner around the campfire with the cadets provided some after action feedback and was the perfect end to a fine day.

During the night, a line of thunderstorms passed through, causing the outdoor camping of the cadets to be interrupted at "O-dark-thirty" with lightning and high winds. With very little sleep, the activities on Sunday morning were a bit slow in getting underway but we managed to make up the time and by the end of the day, one new Rifleman had risen to the occasion. Congratulations to Garrison for a high score of 217 on the AQT! After the end of the event we offered Garrison, and any other cadets who wished, the opportunity for some recoil therapy with some of the instructor's centerfire rifles. If there were any sore shoulders produced, they were certainly overshadowed by the huge grins we saw. I will let my fellow instructors follow up with photos and their own commentary. It was a great shoot with some truly outstanding students!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

FLawyer

This truly was a great weekend with a great bunch of shooters. This was my first interaction with members of the United States Navy Sea Cadet Corps.  (Not to be confused with Sea Scouts).  What a great group of young Americans.  It was a treat to help them start on the path to becoming Riflemen and Riflewomen.  Huzzah!  Thanks to all the parents and volunteers who brought them out for the Appleseed experience.  The instructors were truly well paid this weekend!
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

ToneDef

Photos:
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

ToneDef

Round 2:
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

9mm4545

Next to last photo: uh, safety rule number three? AKA: FINGER!!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

ToneDef

If anybody wants full-resolution photos, PM me and I can send them directly to you. If your email server won't accept large files, let me know that also and I can provide an alternative.

ToneDef

Set 3:

ToneDef

I took a lot of Photos...

rambo granny

My heart was warmed knowing that fine young men and women such as the cadets will carry the torch of our heritage onward when the "elders" here have passed on. THANKS CADETS!
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David