News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard, MA Feb. 16-17 2013 WINTERSEED AAR

Started by Lima Tango, February 19, 2013, 04:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lima Tango

What a great weekend for a Winterseed... if you were a Yeti. Seriously folks it was COLD out there! But hey this is New England and we aren't afraid of a little cold and snow! Saturday was a mix of clouds but was a balmy 31 degrees at Harvard Sportsmans Club. With a layer of snow on the range we used one of my hockey sticks to help mark the firing line and the shooters dug in as best they could. We had 4 shooters on the line under the watchful eyes of myself, Lupis42, Aim, and Ulysses. The strikes were given by Aim, myself, and Lupis42. Firewood was brought by mj52 and a stellar lunch was prepared by Aim and Ulysses. Only 1 patch was to be received on Saturday by our own hbennett(211), however the AM and PM redcoats showed a 50% improvement.

Sunday morning brought 17 degree temps and high winds with random snow flurries. It also brought 6 shooters to the line who were determined to earn a Winterseed patch! In the end Joe(214), Gabe(229), Mike(210), and Morgan(221) all earned a Winterseed patch! Morgan even took an Orange Hat! Gabe was presented with an RWVA challenge coin, part of what we could call the "LT's challenge" (something I borrowed from what I read in a AAR a long time ago); the first new Rifleman is presented with the coin on the condition that he bring a friend to another Appleseed! Gabe was more than happy to accept the coin and stated he'd have no trouble bringing a new shooter to the appleseed line! Ulysses told them about some Dangerous Old Folks then Lupis42 told them the story of Timothy Murphy. Aim gave KD while the shooters warmed up by the fire.

The Sunday PM redcoat showed that everyone improved even more than Saturday with 50% of the shooters making the headshot!

Another successful weekend for Appleseed!

Thank you to all the shooters and thank you to the instructors who came out and taught and cook lunch for us.
Please feel free to post any pictures of the event in this thread!

hbennett

Lima Tango, Lupis42, AIM, Ulysses, 

Thanks for taking time out of your busy lives to put on another well run event.  As always, the level of instruction is top notch.  I always enjoy hearing your presentation of the the strikes.  You bring the history to life!

Shooting a rifleman's score is always great.  Shooting a rifleman's score in the shadow of Lexington and Concord, is special.  Doing all that in sub-freezing temperature, just to earn a Winterseed Patch .. well that's a special kind of stupid..  **)

Of all the patches I've earned.. and I've shot during a tropical storm, and in 97+ degree heat.. this Winterseed patch will be the most special. 

My hat is off to my fellow shooters. Thanks for coming out to share the experience.  You folks show a depth of character not often seen in this day and age.

Most of all, and let us not forget,  thanks to the patriots of long ago who made this day possible.
Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

lupis42

Thank you, everyone.  It was a pleasure and an honor to instruct such a fine bunch. 

Looking at one of those pictures up there, I thought it would be worth calling someone out: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34175.0;attach=100653

This fine shooter, when he realized that he couldn't get a gloved trigger finger into the trigger guard without dragging wood, made a choice.  Immediately after making that choice, he shot a 210. 

You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

aim

I hate to contradict an SB, particularly one I admire *and* one that has a hat signed by Fred himself, but on this wintry weekend many an appleseeder demonstrated dedication. Here, for example are four shooters from Saturday. Three of them removed gloves. The fourth removed his hat.

... as did the SBIT, the better to double-check the score ...

Yes, hbennett, you re-qualified. Congratulations!

Good job!

Sunday was colder, windier, and much, much darker. Hats and gloves went on, targets and name tags blew off, and one dedicated shooter froze solid on the target line. Nice 'stache, Mr. Snow!

In the previous image, the well-dressed gentleman posting the target under Mr. Snow's watchful gaze must have done something right, since this was the result (congratulations, Joe!):

After another shooter scored the magic "210" (complete with the dousing!), this lucky shooter cannot believe his luck. "Really? I got over 210? I don't have to get any colder or wetter?"

"No, Gabe, you are good to go..."

"... and here is the Challenge Coin. Can I be the one you bring along to the next Appleseed?"

This was a lively, willing and *very* determined group, one that started well and kept improving. Everyone was willing to try new things, take their skills to a new level, and keep their humour despite flapping targets, flying mats and recalcitrant magazines.

I thought the weekend was directed in a methodical and low-stress fashion by the always well-prepared Lima Tango, with the ever-watchfully-relaxed lupis42 injecting his wisdom and experience to great effect. This was certainly the Appleseed weekend I enjoyed the most as an instructor and I feel honored that I was given a chance to be a part of it.
Shiny!

Lima Tango

FlaCracker

I just discovered the forums and came across this. Ya'll were great. I've been practicing and hope to put it to good use at the Appleseed in Pelham, NH this weekend. Thanks again for coming out and suffering with us!
Blessed be the Lord my strength which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1