News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Castro Valley, CA Feb 16-17, 2013 AAR

Started by Nero, February 15, 2013, 02:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Place holder.

Weather forecast is for clear and highs to mid-60s, perfect 'seeding conditions, so we will shoot out in the open.

See http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23542.0
for information on Appleseed-friendly activities at the Chabot Gun Club, including target downloads.

http://bit.ly/15igFl2
links here.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

We had 36 shooters on the line at the Chabot Gun Club on a beautiful California Saturday.  In deference to the ammo shortage, we did more dry practice and 1-1 instruction than our usual.  No AQTs for score today, but the evening redcoats showed some fine shooting.  We look forward to great things tomorrow!

Five young patriots received their youth patches, and all heard the story of that April day.  Thanks everyone for coming out and staying safe.  We'll see most of you again tomorrow.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

pennello

Hi Nero (& others)!  Definitely enjoyed the shoot this weekend.

One "hillbilly" mod we made to my rifle during the event was to make a closer point for my support hand to rest in prone.  We did this by using some bandage wrap around a piece of foam plastic, just behind my front sling swivel.

I'd like to know if there's a less "hillbilly" way to do this.  Is there some kind of attachment, product, etc. I can get for my Ruger 10/22 that will fit or screw in nicely?  Furthermore, besides just reproducing what we did on Sunday, are there products that actually provide some degree of adjustability for the natural resting position of your support hand in prone?

Thanks so much!

Nero

Dennis will be along soon to do the weekend narrative - it's part of his shoot boss in training initiation!  ;D - but meanwhile I'll answer Chris' question and then post up some photos later.

Chris - what we built is technically called a 'hand stop', something you find on target rifles (see discussion here), but not standard equipment on the usual 22LR rifle, though tbey are a real aid to marksmanship.  As I recall, you had a 10/22.  Three approaches to getting one on there:

'Hillbilly mod':  You already saw this.  A piece of stiff closed cell foam (that bit was formerly packing from an ammo crate), secured by some 'vet wrap' (same thing as human-rated bandage, but 50% less at the vet or feed store).  Cost - 25 cents?  Advantage - cheap, easy to adapt.  Disadvantage - ugly, temporary.  Do this until you're satisfied you have it right.  Then you've got a couple of choices:

Home handyman:  If you don't mind putting one screw hole in your stock, and are reasonably good with wood.  Cut and whittle out a piece of soft wood to fit the lower contour of the stock at the appropriate point, and screw it onto the stock.  A small piece of redwood is easy to work, has a nice straight grain, and will take a stain if you care.  You can work it with a Dremel or a circular wood file.  Best to use a machine screw and nut all the way through the stock, counter sinking on the back to avoid the barrel, then put some blue thread locker on it - a wood screw will work itself loose over time.  High tech variant:  Use a 3D scanner on the stock, model your optimal hand stop design, and print it on a 3D printer.  Instant cool mod bragging rights at the range!  ;D  Advantages - permanent, customized.  Disadvantage: would take some time, appearance depends on your skills, modifies the factory stock (but that's not really a collector's rifle, eh?)

High priced spread:  Replace the standard Ruger stock with one of the several 'M-4gery' AR lookalike stocks, choosing one that has a lower Picatinny rail on the fore-end.  Buy a sling swivel to fit the rail, and mount it in the rail slot that fits you correctly.  Advantages - easy, looks great, custom fit.  Disadvantage:  $$$

pennello

Thanks much, Nero.  That's great information; I will figure something out.

Given what you've said, I might try to seek out yet another option--put a rail on the lower fore-end of my Ruger stock and get a sling swivel that fits the rail.  Hopefully, this will have the advantages of the final course you suggested, but at a much lower cost.

mumbles

Nero and gang, thanks for the great time this past weekend!

As a new shooter (Saturday was the second time I've ever fired a gun) your instruction was invaluable.

I'd like to practice for the next Appleseed in April by taking the smallbore class at Chabot and work on the AQT on other days. The only problem is that I can't seem to find the Chabot friendly AQT targets on this forum. Could you link it in this thread?

Thanks again!

Zach

pennello

Quote from: mumbles on February 20, 2013, 05:00:35 PM
Nero and gang, thanks for the great time this past weekend!

As a new shooter (Saturday was the second time I've ever fired a gun) your instruction was invaluable.

I'd like to practice for the next Appleseed in April by taking the smallbore class at Chabot and work on the AQT on other days. The only problem is that I can't seem to find the Chabot friendly AQT targets on this forum. Could you link it in this thread?

Thanks again!

Zach

Hey Zach,

I had some trouble finding it too.  Here it is!
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23542.0

Neve

Another successful shoot! Thanks to all the shooters and the RWVA crew for making this shoot possible. Congratulations to the new Riflemen! here's a pic I managed to take at the end of Sunday.