News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Eagle Creek, OR Feb 9 & 10, 2013 Douglas Ridge Rifle Club

Started by Kimber Custom, February 07, 2013, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimber Custom

Man, I am so excited about this weekend!  ..:..

Weather looks like it's going to be nice and we have ~30 shooters pre-registered. It's going to be a great weekend.  ^:)^

Audrey

George Hacker

Quote from: Audrey on February 07, 2013, 08:40:48 PM
Us too; we're going to bring friends! (:

The only thing better than an Appleseed is an Appleseed shared with family and/or friends.

Have fun everyone - wish I could join you.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Kimber Custom

trainsktg

A top notch event, guys! Thanks for the outstanding instruction and accommodations.

Keith

Kimber Custom

George Hacker

Kimber Custom, is that your daughter holding a riflewoman's patch?
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Kimber Custom

EMichael

My wife & I attended this event and it was our first exposure to Appleseed.  First & foremost I have to say THANK YOU to all the instructors who gave up their weekend time to teach us newbies the basics of properly shooting a rifle.

And a special extra thank you to the instructors who allowed my wife to borrow their rifles.  I figured out what was wrong with the 10/22 which I brought for her.  She had put several hundred rounds through it before the event and it worked fine.  Of course, those test rounds were all bang-bang-bang-bang rounds.  At Appleseed, we learned to squeeeeeeze the trigger, follow through, and release after the shot.  When fired properly, the trigger is not resetting.  So the gun functions just fine as long as I don't shoot it the way a rifleman is supposed to shoot!  So much for the performance trigger after-market parts!  ::)

What excites me the most about this rifle problem is the way my wife was able to absorb and follow the lessons of Appleseed.  The problem with this 10/22 didn't turn up until she learned to shoot it properly.  Once again, I want to shout out a THANK YOU to all the instructors who took the time & patience to help my wife along.

As for me...  Well I learn a little differently.  Even with hearing protection I was able to hear chicken sounds coming from one of the instructors and got the hint on what I was doing wrong.   ;)

Time, schedules, and calendar permitting, we hope to see these fine folks again soon.  It was an enjoyable weekend and only on reflection am I able to identify how much I learned.  I am humbled that so many instructors would give up their weekend time to share the stories and teach us to shoot.

-Eric

Prescott

Thanks for starting this forum thread Kimber, I have had quite the overwhelming week.   

We have a fantastic event at DRRC with weekend and it was the instructors and the shooters that made this event!   This was one of safest shoots we have ever had, all of the participants did a great job with following the safety rules.

Congratulation to our four new Riflemen; Keith, Ryan, Tyler and Leeanna!   I am proud of the persistence that Tyler has shown in working to achieve his Rifleman's score.   I also want to congratulate our returning Riflemen and it was a pleasure to see them re-qualify their scores.  Good shooting Josh, Audrey, Douglas and Erin.

I would like to thank Douglas for stepping up and taking an Orange hat this weekend.   I tried to get him to take the hat on Sunday morning, and give him an opportunity to call the line.   However, he said something about wanting to shoot......I think someone told him the dark little secret about becoming an instructor (reduced trigger finger time).

There were quite a few shooters who were scoring in the 180's and 190's, and Kurt even shot a 209 (oh, so so close).  Remember to do some dry fire practice at home which will reinforce the steady hold factors and 6 steps to firing the shot.  If you do this,  I am sure that you will all qualify for the riflemen's patch at your next event.

For everyone who loves Liberty, I ask that each one you get involved in AS in some fashion.   Whether that is an instructor or just someone that goes and spreads about AS.  The growth of AS in Oregon needs all of your help.   

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Audrey

Thanks to everyone that makes Appleseed happen. We had a great time, as always! Josh and I are both very pleased to have confirmed our Rifleman patches again, and he is quite proud of the 209 he got with TechSights. We've resolved to spend more time at our range with our shooting mats to continue to improve our marksmanship.

Joni

Audrey

Joni, page not found it tells me.

Missed you and Dave on Sunday! Hope all is well for you both.

Flipper

I was so happy at this appleseed shoot. I finally made my RifleWomens score. After like 4 Appleseeds and now im going to tackle becoming a junior instructor.    ;D

Joni

please try again Audrey, the link seems to be working. then let me know if you still can't get to it and I will send it to you by email/pm.

AmbulanceDriver

GRR! I am so bummed that I missed this shoot...  Unfortunately my shoulder decided it didn't want to play nice a little while back...    It's improving though, and shoudl be back in shape for April...  ;)

Audrey

Quote from: Joni on February 13, 2013, 10:31:15 PM
please try again Audrey, the link seems to be working. then let me know if you still can't get to it and I will send it to you by email/pm.
I got to them. Thanks, Joni!

modeler

I had a great time this weekend, I peaked at 194 on Sunday afternoon before falling of precipitously on the last two AQT's   :wb:

Ambulancedriver almost has me convinced to trade time off to attend the Springfield event on 4/20 & 21, and I plan on bringing my wife with me to the event at DRRC in September.

Thanks again for a great weekend!

Transform

It was a pleasure to have all of you on the lines this past weekend!

Quote from: modeler614 on February 14, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
Ambulancedriver almost has me convinced to trade time off to attend the Springfield event on 4/20 & 21, and I plan on bringing my wife with me to the event at DRRC in September.

Good! Be convinced! And do bring your wife!
We actually have Springfield events coming up both March 23-24 and April 20-21.
I expect that registration for both of those events will probably begin in early March.

Audrey

Quote from: modeler614 on February 14, 2013, 08:22:19 PMI peaked at 194 on Sunday afternoon before falling of precipitously on the last two AQT's   :wb:

... I plan on bringing my wife with me to the event at DRRC in September.
Don't be discouraged by the end of the day declining of your scores or by a 194! Getting relaxed into position in those timed runs is very stressful and difficult. My morning Red Coats are always better than the afternoons and my AQTs tend to get steadily worse and worse the later in the day it is. Fatigue just takes its toll even when you're not using the arm muscles for aiming.

Do bring more people! Wife, friends, strangers. (:

Flipper

Some times your right when your being rushed you miss important points to remember. For the sitting position I always have to re tighten my sling but then I shoot pretty well. I also try to check the important steady hold factors and see if I'm doing them correctly by asking one of the instructors if my position looks good. I will say that I scored my rifle women's patch after About 4 appleseeds. So it takes practice to know exactly what you need to do for each position. So keep it up.  ;D

Transform

Appleseed instructors describe the deep concentration required as the "Rifleman's Bubble". When you get into the bubble, you become oblivious to minor distractions, such as stress, fatigue, or feeling rushed. At a certain point, the steady hold factors become almost unconscious, but Flipper is quite correct, this requires practice and persistence.

modeler

Quote from: Transform on February 15, 2013, 02:04:37 AM
It was a pleasure to have all of you on the lines this past weekend!

Quote from: modeler614 on February 14, 2013, 08:22:19 PM

Good! Be convinced! And do bring your wife!
We actually have Springfield events coming up both March 23-24 and April 20-21.
I expect that registration for both of those events will probably begin in early March.

I won't be at the March event, we'll be in the great gun-free zone to the south....

April may yet happen, we'll see.