News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gun control hearings at the capitol - Feb. 5-7

Started by AFTERMATH, February 02, 2013, 11:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

So, there's another gun rally at the capitol on the 8th....
But a multitude of bills are being heard/debated in committee on the 5th, 6th, 7th...  Hmmm...

Anyway, here are the dates/times for the hearings as well as a supershort 'biased' description of the bills.

QuoteSchedule
Feb 5 (Tues)- 10 am Room 10, State Office Building (Pro gun folks Gather in
Room 400S at 8:30am)
Feb 5 (Tues)- 6 pm Room 10, State Office Building (Plan to gather early -
4:30pm. look for further details)
Feb 6 (Wed) - 10 am Room 10, State Office Building (Plan to gather early -
8:30am. look for further details)
Feb 7 (Thurs) - 10 am Room 10, State Office Building (Plan to gather early
- 8:30am. look for further details)
Feb 7 (Thurs) - 6 pm Room 10, State Office Building (Plan to gather early -
4:30pm. look for further details)

The Bills:
H.F. 241: Assault Weapons Ban. Look carefully at the definition. Your
Garand is now an assault weapon (> 7 rounds internal fixed magazine). After
it takes effect, you have to move the weapon out of state, surrender it for
destruction, render it inoperable, or register it!

H.F. 240: Prove you're sane!The sheriff may require you to get a letter
from a doctor or psychiatrist to get a carry or transferee (purchase)
permit

H.F. 242: 10 round mag limit Must alter mag, surrender it for destruction,
or move it out of state!

H.F. 243: 7 round mag limit Must surrender it for destruction, or move it
out of state!

H.F. 237: All transfers to be done by FFL's.
All transfers reported to Police(line 7.8).
Expands mental health loss of rights from court ordered commitment to just
confinement.

H.F. 238: Felony to accidentally posses a firearm on school property.
It's currently a misdemeanor for permit holders to unknowingly or
mistakenly find themselves on school property. One should not lose firearms
rights (felony) for a simple mistake.

H.F. 239: Gross misdemeanor to remain after being asked to leave.
Second offense is a felony. Currently, it's a petty misdemeanor. As far as
we know, NONE of these special tickets has ever been issued. This is an
attempt to PUNISH permit holders and raise the potential loss of firearms
rights.

H.F. 242: Loss or theft reports, transferring to ineligible person
A person convicted of these crimes made ineligible to possess a firearm.

Iceberg?  Perhaps, but we'd need a new COF and a whole lot of new LTR's...
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

dronning

are these date and times still correct?  Any additional details.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: dronning on February 04, 2013, 10:01:11 AM
are these date and times still correct?  Any additional details.

As far as I know, yes.  I'm looking for more info as I type...
I'm gonna try to make it on Thursday.

More details on the bills themselves here:  http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/cco/intros.asp?dateofintro=1/31/2013&session_year=2013&ls_year=88&session=0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

Kosciusko

I emailed everybody on the committee. 

Short and not so sweet: "work against my 2nd Amendment rights and i will work against you and see you voted out of office."

and a longer and more personal note to my own rep

I urged him to talk some sense into his fellow DFL-ers

then  finished w/ a link to the wiki page for the Powder Alarm

Even though it was all done respectfully, I'm  still probably now on a list of anti-government subversives.

I think my namesake would be proud, and that makes it  OK.

Kosciusko

warhog

Going to Mordor tomorrow as they needed people on the 6th and 7th should be interesting.

"Iceberg?  Perhaps, but we'd need a new COF and a whole lot of new LTR's..."  I like the way you think!
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

AFTERMATH

QuoteEven though it was all done respectfully, I'm  still probably now on a list of anti-government subversives.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the company there. ^-^

Ok, I am going on Thursday morning.

Anybody on the north side of the cities going in at the same time?

warhog

I will try to keep it short and sweet......

Their are some good people fighting for us but this is a fight we should not be having, either they are ignorant of the constitution or have other motives you all need to make your own decision.     

HF 241 the short version

1. New background check (again) and registration of affected rifle, shotgun and pistol note... revolvers are a gray area if you use bird shot in a revolver is that a prohibited shotgun?

2. Local law enforcement has the right to inspect your guns and your storage of said guns.

3. If you are allowed to keep them you will have to register annually plus fees or taxes

4. use at approved range only or your property

5. CONFISCATION........When you die your property becomes property of the state the actual text follows:

10.1 (c) Registered assault weapons may not be purchased or transferred, except for
10.2 transfer to the appropriate law enforcement agency for the purpose of surrendering the
10.3 weapon for destruction.

There are good guys and gals fighting this fight the following stood out Tony Cornish, Andrea Kieffer, Mr Olsen from Hamline and GOCRA

The bad Alice Hausman didn't even stay for the whole hearing left half way through apparently had a more important engagement talking to some kids. 
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Kosciusko

gun confiscation? 

I think King George tried that.  Maybe we should dig him up and ask him how that turned out.  There's a team over there that just excavated  Richard III.   They probably still have their shovels  handy.

So,   Hausman wasn't interested in hearing opinions that differed from hers?  Any way we could print the wiki page on the powder alarms and drop it on her desk?

Kosciusko

Wally

The rally on the 8th has been cancelled, so that more people would be able to attend the hearings. I plan on heading up tomorrow
"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy" --Montesquieu

A book written by my Sixth Great Grandfather,  "Recollections of an Old Soldier. The life of Captain David Perry, a soldier of the French and Revolutionary Wars." (1822)  http://archive.org/stream/recollectionsofo00perr#page/n1/mode/2up

warhog

Go early!!!!!!! if you are late you may not find a spot.
Fortes fortuna adiuvat

Wally

A New permit has been issued, so Rally for Friday is back on, 10:00 to 2:00 at the Capitol.
"The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy" --Montesquieu

A book written by my Sixth Great Grandfather,  "Recollections of an Old Soldier. The life of Captain David Perry, a soldier of the French and Revolutionary Wars." (1822)  http://archive.org/stream/recollectionsofo00perr#page/n1/mode/2up