News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rotterdam NY - January 26 & 27, 2013

Started by Another D.O.M., January 28, 2013, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another D.O.M.

Amidst all of the furor and excitement following the actions of the NY Legislature and Governor on Jan. 15, and running concurrently with a record turnout at the Albany Gun Show, we held an indoor Appleseed at the Iroquois Rod & Gun club in Rotterdam.  We had a very good showing, with a total of 13 students over both days, including a broad range of skills and ages.  There were many return shooters as well as first time Appleseed attendees.

Thanks need to go to the host range for being able to accommodate our group despite a miscommunication about the dates for the event.  Not only were they able to secure one full day and one half day of range time (we worked around another group that was double-booked for the range on Sunday morning), they also served up a fantastic picnic style lunch on both days.

Thanks also to the instructors who came to help teach our students, and who suffered my last-minute change in plans, to accommodate the scheduling snafu,  without missing a beat.  LittleMo, The Mrs. and Grumpy1 were confident and professional throughout.

We were visited by two off-duty instructors, Mph_VT on Saturday and Smurf on Sunday (who stopped by on his way home from helping to staff the Albany Gun Show on both Saturday and Sunday).  It was good to see both.

So here's a pop quiz for the folks who attended as students this weekend.  I expect you will all receive a passing score.

1.  How many Colonial Militia members converged upon the area of Boston, Lexington & Concord MA by the end of the day on April 19, 1775?

2.  How many Alarm Riders were spreading word of the British Regulars march from Boston to Concord during the night of April 18 & 19, 1775?

3.  When & where did the American Revolutionary War begin (hint:  it was when the militia stopped acting in a defensive manner and acted offensively)?

And here's a little tidbit we didn't discuss:  Word of what had happened on April 19 was spread far and wide by riders.  The story reached NY City in two days; Philadelphia, PA in three; and even passed at least as far south as KY.  When a rider met a group of hunters in a camp in KY and told them what had happened, they immediately packed their gear, mounted their horses and rode north toward MA to lend whatever assistance they could.  When they returned to their camp weeks later, they decided to name it in memory of those who had lost their lives in defense of liberty on the Lexington Green.  The location of that camp became Lexington, KY.

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Yojimbo762

Thank you, ADOM et al.  It was a great weekend. 
It was a pleasure to be in such high caliber company; students and instructors alike... pun intended!

The extra attention given to curbing HSTFS (happy slappy trigger finger syndrome) was welcomed as were all the instruction and encouragement throughout the two days.

Apologies but strictly from memory....
1) ~3K accumulated from surrounding areas by day's end?  Something tells me it is nearer to 10K...
2) 65
3) The militia took an active offensive action harassing the Regulars along the way back to Boston- starting near Meriam's Corner.
Wrong answers are to be entirely attributed to failure to listen carefully on my part.

Thank you for kindling some self-study I hope to keep up... thus far, primarily re: Gage, his wife, massacres in upstate NY and  the Intolerable Acts.

I look forward to being on the line again!  ....and hopefully showing that I've gotten some much needed practice in.

I'll count three, and if you're not out of the house by then, I'll loose the dogs on you.
If you say "three," mister, you'll never hear the man count "ten."

The Mrs.

What a GREAT WEEKEND to be an American!!  Thank you to our great shooters and fellow instructors.  Adjust, adapt and persevere.

We are at one of those moments in time that count more than others, and our shooters reflected that.  They listened, analysed and set their plans into action.  As a consequence their groups got smaller and smaller.  Those 50' targets are tougher than one might think at the onset.  But perseverence counts ALOT.

All I can ask is to take all the lessons you gathered over the weekend and put them into action.  And if you believe the skills and information you received are of value, pass it on.

I hope to see you all again in the near future.

Sue

PS:  Then you Gregg for the work you put into the new gun rack.  It worked out great!!
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Josey Wales

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

VietVet

Well done all.
It's great to see New Yorkers attending these events. More important now then ever to spread the word.
NY is now today's "Battle Road".
Keep up the good work up there guys. Relief is on the way.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

R1SGx2

Nice work by all....

Yojimbo762, sounds like you will be around for a few appleseeds, Appleseeds are where good people come together.

Team Northeast, New York Detachment was very busy this weekend, both here and at Albany.s Gun Show. Thank you for all you do,,,,
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Grumpy1

Another great weekend for Appleseed .

Many thanks to the Iroquois Rod and Gun Club for hosting an event,and their fine hospitality!

There were some new faces and definity some veteran Appleseeders,a great time was had by all. It was great to hear the shooters, and see the targets talk as shooters put all the pieces together and watched their groups shrink.Keep up the good work.

Thanks to our Shoot Boss Another DOM, and instructors LittleMo and The Mrs.
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Cabin Fever

Sounds like it was a great weekend. Wondering if you will have a winterseed this year. I would really like an oppurtunity to earn a special icicle patch and a chance to get together again with all of you.   ..:..
Shoot Like A Girl ~ If You Can!

Throughout her career, it is believed that Annie Oakley taught upwards of 15,000 women how to use a gun. Oakley believed strongly that it was crucial for women to learn how to use a gun, as not only a form of physical and mental exercise, but also to defend themselves.

The Mrs.

I was remiss in not mentioning Gunny shot that illusive 250!!    ^:)^   Now to do it at an outside shoot!!   ~~:)
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

R1SGx2

In doors - at 50 feet, come on Gunny,,,,.....

Breath in breath out FIRE,,,,,
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

VietVet

Quote from: The Mrs. on February 01, 2013, 10:24:40 AM
I was remiss in not mentioning Gunny shot that illusive 250!!    ^:)^   Now to do it at an outside shoot!!   ~~:)

Indoors? Doesn't count!
I was hoping to be there when he did it.

Well done Gunny.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Dude

Right on , Gunny!

See you in Rotterdam, in April, I hope, and let's get her done!
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

Josey Wales

..Gunny will not be shooting in April, he will be working the line in an Orange Hat..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..