News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Known Distance shoot in Elberton this year

Started by Melissa5, January 24, 2013, 11:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa5

How are these different from the regular Appleseed shoots? 
John 3:16

9/12 Toccoa 219 (rimfire)
2/16 Buford 228 (centerfire)

Col Barrett

Melissa, last year we were able to shoot full distance AQT's. Meaning you shoot a 4 MOA silhouette at 100,200,300 and 400, in the appropriate positions. Beyond that, we were able to go ahead and practice at 500 and 600 yards as well. A few drills were preformed, but mainly we were all given a chance to get familiar with our equipment at full distance. I would recommend attending one if you schedule allows.

Melissa5

OK, you talked me into it.  :)   

Are the times for each stage the same as the 25 meter shoots?

connibear

what is the cost of the known distance shoot?
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

brianf31

Seems I remember we paid a $10 per day range fee plus $30 per night for room at the old farmhouse.

If you only manage to shoot once a year, this needs to be it. It was that fun.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Pain Killer

There are also RBC's that shoot Known Distance. Ramseur NC has 2 RBC's this year, one starting Feb17 and the other in August. An RBC is a Rifleman's Boot Camp and is a week long of advanced training on the same principles of an Appleseed. Ramseur has a 500 meter range and you will have the opportunity to shoot that distance and take a KD AQT if you are a rifleman.

There are camping sites at Ramseur and 2 huts that can be rented. The huts have heaters, but they need to be reserved ASAP and you can contact Wildman on the forum. I believe they are $10 per day.

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

DrJohn

Melissa has asked an apparently simple question to which I need to give a complicated answer. There are going to be two DIFFERENT kinds of Known Distance Appleseed events in Elbert County in 2013. The first kind is for instructors only, and will be a traditional two-day weekend format. One will be the weekend of April 13-14 and the other will be the weekend of Sept. 14-15. Both will be at the beautiful Graben River Farm, a bit outside Elberton, Georgia. There is no cost for this event, but we do collect range fees for the use of the property, as described above in an earlier communication.

The second type of event is a Long-Distance one-day event for non-instructors. This event, by agreement with the host range, will have a minimum age of 20, centerfire rifles ONLY, and attendance at least at two regular Appleseed events. Because of the scarcity of ammunition at this point, we are considering adapting the Course of Fire to conserve ammunition while still furnishing a quality Appleseed experience. Potential attendees are encouraged to pre-register early (cost approx. $95 or so) because of the limited number of slots available. We may even adapt the COI to an extent, and teach the attendees how to teach others to shoot at Known Distance. Since Melissa is not listed as an instructor (although we would certainly welcome her into our teaching ranks with enthusiasm!), I expect this second type event is the one to which she refers.

If there are any questions, please send me a PM and let's discuss. We are fortunate in Georgia to have some of the best long distance shooting lanes in the country, and we intend to make full use of them.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Melissa5

Thanks for the complicated but easy to understand answer, Dr. John!   :)

failureToExtract

Quote from: DrJohn on January 30, 2013, 03:04:23 PM
Melissa has asked an apparently simple question to which I need to give a complicated answer. There are going to be two DIFFERENT kinds of Known Distance Appleseed events in Elbert County in 2013. The first kind is for instructors only, and will be a traditional two-day weekend format. One will be the weekend of April 13-14 and the other will be the weekend of Sept. 14-15. Both will be at the beautiful Graben River Farm, a bit outside Elberton, Georgia. There is no cost for this event, but we do collect range fees for the use of the property, as described above in an earlier communication.

The second type of event is a Long-Distance one-day event for non-instructors. This event, by agreement with the host range, will have a minimum age of 20, centerfire rifles ONLY, and attendance at least at two regular Appleseed events. Because of the scarcity of ammunition at this point, we are considering adapting the Course of Fire to conserve ammunition while still furnishing a quality Appleseed experience. Potential attendees are encouraged to pre-register early (cost approx. $95 or so) because of the limited number of slots available. We may even adapt the COI to an extent, and teach the attendees how to teach others to shoot at Known Distance. Since Melissa is not listed as an instructor (although we would certainly welcome her into our teaching ranks with enthusiasm!), I expect this second type event is the one to which she refers.

If there are any questions, please send me a PM and let's discuss. We are fortunate in Georgia to have some of the best long distance shooting lanes in the country, and we intend to make full use of them.

Dr. John,

I am highly interested in attending a known distance shoot.  You said that there will be one in September for non-instructors, but I can't find it listed in the GA Appleseed events listing.  Is it not listed yet?  Thanks.

Barry
Columbus, GA