News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Indiana lost a good one Saturday

Started by hawkhavn, January 21, 2013, 03:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkhavn

All,

A few of you got to meet Doc either at an Appleseed or through Sycamore Valley Gun Club. Doc was instrumental in starting my interst in highpower shooting and getting a Garand.  Needless to say without his friendship, mentoring and guidance I would not be where I am today or met most of you.

Ed

http://www.allenfuneralhome.org/obituaries/dr-charles-riley-doc-shick,-od.aspx
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Barbie

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.   @) 
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

AuntieBellum

Wow, what an example for involvement and dedication.  Sure sounds like he was a good man, and I imagine the service will be a beautiful celebration of all he accomplished.  My condolences to all of his family and friends.
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

Would you have bought a M1 and started shooting it regularly without him? If not, then tell his wife I said thank you. She likely doesn't know it, he probably didn't either, but that bit of mentoring reached farther than he could possibly have known. Indiana Appleseed owes him a great debt.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

hawkhavn

They knew it, I actually started shooting high power borrowing HER M-1, until the CMP got one to me.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

SPQR

Jake's thought was my first one as well.  Imagine the success we have had as a state because of people Hawk has attracted to it.  For those of you that are new, almost all of the SBs here came from his instructing tree in one form or another.  Now imagine the guy that started Hawk off.

As an aside when we did the Freedom one day last year we were doing a Primer in the clubhouse and Doc came by to shoot the breeze.  After some conversation he announced to the group that he was tired of kids getting tattoos these days.  Getting a tattoo was stupid.  Why would you mark yourself as one thing forever?  They were all stupid tattoos anyway, either in a language the kid doesn't speak or meaning something the kid didn't know anything about.  He then said, "There is only one tattoo a kid should get, anyway," and he yanked up his sleeve to reveal The Eagle, Globe and Anchor.  "Now," he said, "That's a tattoo!"  Jeff Williams yanked up his sleeve and said, "Hey! Somebody did that to me, too!?" and they compared ink.  I wish I had gotten a picture.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

ATM

Sadly, I did not have the good fortune to have known him, yet the influence of his character and life have surely impacted mine through those who did.

Condolences and blessings,

ATM
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

tater

Doc was a rifleman for sure. He worked really hard to keep the club going and was always trying to promote the shooting sports. I used to love talking to him out at the range. He knew his rifles well, and he was into prairie dogs. We're going to miss him.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

hawkhavn

Stopped by the funeral home tonight to pay my respects.  The place was full of shooters and many stories of Doc, Sycamore Valley and hunting.

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein