News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Home school conventions

Started by mac66, January 15, 2013, 09:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac66

I ran across this last year and just found it again for this year.  This is a very large convention with hundreds of workshops. I'm thinking, why not an Appleseed workshop?  Just something we may want to consider.

http://www.greathomeschoolconventions.com/
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Charles McKinley

What do they charge for the workshop space?  Most of the people that have workshops have stuff to sell and pay a premium to offer a workshop.

Never know until you ask.

A bit far for me but I have heard good things about this convention.

There was money available last year for the booths but I do not know if it is available this year.

The booth space at CHAP last year was $400.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

mac66

We are probably a ways away from doing national conventions other than the NRA show. My thinking centers around some sort of comprehensive marketing plan in which homeschooling is a part.

I see us a skill building, activity and history resource for homeschooling. If  need to develop a curriculum for home schoolers. We then need to market it and our activities/shoots at large conventions I think we will be able to mine members and shooters for years to come.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Charles McKinley

I inquired about booth cost, vetting and demographics.  It is way too late to put something togeather this year but maybe next.

Conventions are not hard: look presentable, engage people and tell STRIKES!  We had a really good reception last year at CHAP.  Only a couple of negativly questioning people and a lot of interest.

I think homeschoolers are more liberty minded.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

scuzzy

I'd received an email listing several Homeschool Conventions. I have no idea of the details though. These might be a good deal to try and get a LibertySeed going. The TN & GA conventions look like they may be well attended.

East Ridge, Tennessee   July 19-20, 2013

http://csthea.org/curriculum-fair/

Atlanta, GA  July 25-27, 2013

http://www.southeasthomeschoolexpo.com/

Pelham, AL  August 13-22, 2013  (Not much listed on their site about this though)

http://www.hopechristian.net/index.html

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

StevenIvan

I've actually started reaching out through local homeschool folks that I know [With homeschooling, its about knowing who to know .. as they normally get bombarded with solicitations], and through some business connections I have/had at Calvert and Pearson(k-12, Connections).

There was discussion over the weekend here in MD around homeschooling and how to make more traction on that front.

Can we identify someone in each region that can/has contact with local homeschoolers? I suspect we would benefit greatly from evangelists in their ranks.
'In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.'

-Mark Twain - 1904