News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Orlando, FL - Jan 12-13, 2013 (CFRPC)

Started by Mr Pete, January 13, 2013, 09:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

A wonderful time at Florida's newest Appleseed venue, the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club (CFRPC).

At this inaugural event we welcomed 14 patriots to the line.  I often talk about the power of, "community", which made this event all the more poignient to me as the CFRPC is my home range.  Tom (xsquidgator) not only did ALL of the legwork to get Appleseed in the CFRPC but jumped through the hoops and opened the door for Appleseed in the greater Orlando area.  His dedication brought us all together for a most amazing time.

I'm opening this thread so that others may comment.

Pics and details in the works so stay tuned!

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

Hey All post your pictures and your comments...since you did all the hard work this weekend what is a little more!?!

Richard sent in our group pic!

"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

xsquidgator

Mr Pete, Line Bossing.

xsquidgator

Musterdrum working the line.

xsquidgator

musterdrum helps Mrs. Xsquidgator diagnose her groups

xsquidgator

Thanks Mr Pete for an outstanding Appleseed experience! 

onehalfmvsquared

Thanks Pete and the rest of the crew!  My son and I had an excellent time.  I've been shooting for a long time and am an NRA instructor myself and this was one of the most enjoyable and profitable experiences I've encountered.

musterdrum

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.

musterdrum

Mrs. Xsquidgator even tho she wasent able to see the target she still shot 5moa with open sights then willorith gave her a scope she was able to place every shot efitiently after finding her npoa she dident even need the scope rife she could of out shot me with iron sights. she has the potential to shoot 4 moa with open sights she has her npoa al down and the six steps.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

A man sooner or later discovers that he is the master-gardener of his soul, the director of his life.

packinvet

Thanks MrPete and all your crew for a great weekend. I'm sore; tired; pocked with little burns; a gaping wound on my left elbow; and I can't wait to come back for more! Vince Aut Morire!

Mr Pete

What to say, what to say...I guess I'll have to resort to the truth...

How many American's does it take to have a great time sharing stories and shooting? In this instance it was 19.

While husband Tony was going through CFRPC orientation the rest of his family proceeded to have fun without him. Ms Jocelyn juggled her family and the rifles until it all worked out and she put up some great groups. Ms Connie was a trooper working through a rifle that was too big and a sling that was too small until she got everything just right. She was a bolt action monster and brass was being smartly ejected from that little pink rifle. (Remember to cut open the bottle once your caterpillar has made its cocoon). Cameron ran hot and cold but put up some amazing groups on stage 3 of the AQT! Practice, practice, practice. Tony did well with the same pink rifle (blackmail pics forthcoming)...although he could use some lessons on that bolt from Connie. His son Will was surprised at how well Dad did "pinch-shooting" on a team AQT. I often talk about our youth not being given enough credit. Even with eye protection Will took a piece of brass to the eye. In spite of the pain, he had the presence of mind to keep everybody safe by observing the safety rules, take off his sling, safe his rifle, retreat behind the safety line...then address his pain. He earned my respect and is always welcome on my line.

I'm always glad to see families engaging in their heritage and Richard and Jonathan were there sharing good times what will last forever. I know my story with firearms started with sessions out in the desert with my Dad. Richard was thoroughly vindicated (as a physics teacher) by pointing out to everybody during IMC, "HA, you will use math after high school!"

What I can say is that CFRPC range members can shoot. Dan who has only owned a rifle for 2 weeks put it to good use and hit a 192 at his first Appleseed ever! Mike was putting it all together...just not on the same AQT (practice that trigger control and NO DRAGGING WOOD!). Chris and Bill definitely held their own (190s). I saw fantastic groups sighting in but as with everything fatigue sets in. Don't let any of them fool you...I'm positive at their next Appleseed they will kill it. Even with them being tired I know in my heart of hearts that Bill could have taken Corey any day of the week!

Corey has already told Mrs xsquidgator's story which is one of throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks...whatever it takes, the heart of a Riflewoman knows persistence!

From our last shoot we had three friends (two of them Riflemen) come out to encourage their friend and hone their skills. Josh verified that it wasn't a fluke with a 231 re-qualification.  Keep on that M1 guys, it is absolutely one of the best training rifles around!  If you don't execute the fundamentals well it will push you around like sumo wrestler.

Tom, I know you thanked me but it truly was a group effort. We wouldn't even have been there without you. The students contributed their hard work and focus. With their dedication the students EARNED the very best efforts of the instructors. I hope they were well met. As a group we learned, shared, worked and improved. I can think of no better example of the American Spirit.

Many thanks to our instructor crew Brian (willorith), Corey (musterdrum) and Tom (xsquidgator).  I was finally glad to work with Brian who is a big part of Appleseed legend and history.

Hope to see you all again, on (or off) the Appleseed Trail,
-Peter

ps. I'm still organizing pictures.  Sorry they are not up yet...check back later.

Mr Pete

packinvet

I need to apologize to you and your excellent crew for my emotional outburst on the Sunday morning of our event. I was a very tired, sore wimp, not prepared for the hot brass and tender elbows. No excuses. Your crew's professionalism was exceptional. Next time I'll be ready. I'm acquiring gear that works for me. I'm practicing. You guys were excellent teachers. You were spot on. What you taught works. Seeing improvement with practice. Thanks, again for a terrific weekend. It was inspirational & emotional.

FlaChef

Well it took me longer than expected but I finally finished my write up that I told Tom and Peter I would do. O0

It is longer than expected, I seem unable to make a point in less than 4-6 pages because I am always wanting to add more details I find interesting and am afraid to leave out things I would want to know (which is usually everyhting I can).

I filed it under my main site under writings in the essays, scribblings, and other categaory.

http://titleundecided.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Appleseed_AAR.35225123.pdf

And really my last score was 192? I didnt think I topped the 170's all weekend. ;D

Dan

And for what  it's worth sitting was my achilles heel all weekend but a little range time and I think I have found comfortable kneeling that works for me.

Hopefully we can get another Orlando event going before it gets 100 degrees outside.

FlaChef

Forum does not seem to want to let me edit or modify my own post.

Made minor correction including adding copyright with permission to reprint to the above articel and cant go back and chang link to new version.

USE THIS LINK INSTEAD which will take you the index instead of right to the article in case I have to modify it again

http://titleundecided.com/writings/essays_articles_and_short_scribblings

Thank you