News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ammunition Shortages and What Can We do about it?

Started by Scout, January 10, 2013, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

This might be a problem nation wide I do not know. I have had four different Appleseed attendees email me asking about ammo. They can not find any to buy for the upcoming events. Can we start scouring the local stores and posting places where .22 ammo is still available?

Also, if instructors can start purchasing any .22 ammo they can find and bring it to events with them, or have it to sell to attendees and let me kknopw who has some to sell?

Also maybe mail order places. I will try to buy as much as I can from whoever has it for sale by mail if possible in order to have it available for attendees.

I tried to buy some all week after getting the emails and found none what so ever in Temple except a few boxes I bought at a welding shop.

Thanks guys.

Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Edheler

I haven't seen any shortages of .22LR up here yet but centerfire everything is pretty short.

brianf31

There Is absilutely no bulk .22 in mid GA, only 50 round boxes of more expensive stuff when you can find it. I have worried about this, too.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Red Alder Ranch

Out here you cannot find ordinary 22 LR anywhere right now, and when you do come across a little, it's often priced like crazy. All the local stores' shelves are bare and depressing looking. Even at a large gun show last weekend, I only found three bulk boxes of Remington thunderbolt, for $40 each. No thanks!

On a tip, I found a few bricks of CCI Blazer, for a normal price, at a gun shop in GA, and they're sending it to me.... in WA.

I also joined the RWVA and am planning on ordering a case of the standard velocity Aguila from the CMP, too, although I'm a little nervous about that, having never used it before. Also I've seen ammo on Gunbroker, but the CCI blazer ends up going for $300-400 for a case there, too rich for my blood.

Red Alder Ranch

Quote from: brianf31 on January 10, 2013, 09:24:50 PM
There Is absilutely no bulk .22 in mid GA, only 50 round boxes of more expensive stuff when you can find it. I have worried about this, too.

I just ordered four bricks of CCI blazer from Barrow's Guns/Automotive in Butler, GA. Didn't sound like they had much left though, as of yesterday AM. Worth a try, though. She was very nice and they weren't price gouging.

Kosciusko

Fleet Farm chain in the Midwest has .22LR

Wallyworld supplies are spotty

RangeRat

Pallets of Remington Bucket o' Bullets (22LR) at Big R in Sandpoint, ID about 10 days ago.  Other than that it was slim pickings in MT over the holidays.

RR

Carlson

I can only find premium 22lr in El Paso, Texas.   I'm wishing I had stocked up.  The Rimfire Ammo I can find is priced like Centerfire.

Zenith

Been keeping my eyes peeled, cabelas in buda had wolf match 22, last i checked. Been a couple weeks since i've been back.

Guardian

Adventure Outdoors in Marietta, GA, http://www.adventureoutdoors.us/, had a pallet of Blazer 22 two weeks ago. I think it was around $240/case.

JOEMORGAN

Remember during these "dark"  times to visit and support your local ammuntion vendors. I realize the the prices of the ammo at some of these places are very high, but I'm afraid walking out of these places of business empty handed is going to lead to local  "Mom and Pop" guns stores going out of business. That is sad. So cut back on the snacks and brew while watching the games this month and stock up on Appleseed supplies!  O0
"Man did not enter society to be worse off, or to have fewer rights, but rather to have those rights better secured" --Thomas Paine

"Humanity has won it's battle, Liberty has a country" --Marquis de Lafayette

"These are not men, but devils" --Colonel Francisco de Paula-Milan, Mexican Army, Camerone 30 April 1863

slim

I don't know about you guys, but I'm probably going to tell a lot more stories this year!

Red Alder Ranch

Can't Appleseed programs obtain ammo from the CMP, and then have students who show up without any just purchase it at cost from the program?

George Hacker

Quote from: Red Alder Ranch on January 11, 2013, 07:48:27 PM
Can't Appleseed programs obtain ammo from the CMP, and then have students who show up without any just purchase it at cost from the program?

No - we don't sell items at events.  If we did, we would be required to collect sales tax and submit reports to the various states.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Nero

There are also restrictions in some places on who can sell and buy ammo.  For instance, our here in lovely California, if I have a minor at the light rifle class I teach, I cannot sell 22LR to him or her.  I have to sell (and hand) it to the parent or guardian, who 'gives' it to the minor. 
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: ShadowMan on January 11, 2013, 07:59:38 PM

No - we don't sell items at events.  If we did, we would be required to collect sales tax and submit reports to the various states.

ShadowMan

If I as an individual buy ammo, CMP or otherwise, I can sell it to shooters as a private transaction.  I just need to make it clear that it is my ammo that I am selling them as a private individual.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Red Alder Ranch

ShadowMan

Ah, got it. Hadn't thought of that part, I was just thinking of a "hey, we have some ammo that you can reimburse us for if you want to use it", but I can see how the state of WA might feel differently if they don't get their sale tax collected on that...

Doesn't the CMP have a separate program, though, for supplying clubs and associations with 22 ammo? Or did I read that wrong somewhere?

George Hacker

As Unbridled Liberty mentioned, some instructors bring extra ammo.  I am one of those.  But Project Appleseed as an organization does not get involved in the ammo and rifle business.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Josey Wales

ShadowMan

..I give the ammo away and the patron usually offers to buy me lunch as a friendly gesture..  and that works for me..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

technoronin

I ordered a case (5000) of CCI MiniMags (40 gr. round nose) last November for about $350.  I'll bring it with me to the Appleseeds that I go to (usually central Texas) and I'm quite willing to share.  There is enough money involved that donations to help cover my cost would be welcome.

dragonfly

More dry-fire excercise's (cut down on ammo fired at an Appleseed) LibSeeds, LibSeeds, and more LibSeeds  :) .

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

TaosGlock

We made a run to Albuquerque to drop off some flyers. We checked many of the main gunshops, chains stores i.e. Big 5, Sportsman's Warehouse and Wal-Marts. No 22 ammo period.  There were  a couple boxes 22 short at Big 5. :(
Semi auto anythings were gone, reloading powder and bullets were picked clean (Sportsman's Warehouse). It is a nationwide situation that we will have to deal with somehow.

The sales folk and managers we talked to do not know when many items will return to normal stock.
Most all stores are now rationing ammo, powder, etc.

Online ammo, especially 22LR, is few and far between and backordered.
I am checking my other sources to see if I can purchase 22 to turn around and offer for a donation. ;)
When King O was elected in 08 we did this for a backup as a service to our shooters.

In the meantime throttle back on the AQT grind, spend more quality time on the instructional points and make every round count!
People do come to shoot. My sense is our lines may see more folks, due in part to the both real and imagined national hysteria.

We will get thru this as we are Riflemen right?
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

colycat

We have seen this before, in fact many times.  I appears people are voting with their wallets, too bad they didn't vote a few months ago.

None of the ammunition manufactures has stopped production, in fact they are working around the clock.  I suspect the shelves will fill in a month or so.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

yellowhousejake

Remember the great primer drought of 93? At least that is what was in shortest supply around me. I bought a ton of ammo and powder a year later at a discount when the hoarders needed Christmas money, I was ruthless too. Fifty cents on the dollar.

This too shall pass. I like previous suggestions, if folks come with less than the required amount of ammo, get down in the dirt with them and make every shot a learning experience.

Polish up your history, make the event memorable.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Jerry Hall

Keep checking through your search engines and verify what you find, then purchase it fast.  O0
As YHJ said: "This too shall pass".
I'm saving up for the sell off around mid year when the histeria cools.  ^:)^

Jerry
"The significant problems we face today cannot be solved with the same level of thinking that we were at when we created them. Albert Einstein."

"One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Mark Davis

Bozeman store shelves are out of 22 ammo, but Great Falls Big "R" store had a very large supply, lots of the 1400 count remington golden bullets in a bucket, american eagles, and other bulk packs. A local said big r just got a shipment.
The Rocky mountian Supply in Townsend had bricks of blazers in 50 round boxes, american eagles, federal bulk packs load #725 and bricks of the execellent federal #510s.
Long drive for most appleseedes, but if your comming this way to get some ammo, give me a holler. I will take you to the range!

Carlson

I finally found a brick of 22LR today in El Paso.  The shop wanted to charge me $70 for it.  I walked away from that price.   I sure hope this Ammo shortage isn't permanent.

Dude

The busier the store, the more likely they will be out. Go with Mom and Pop, if at all possible. Remember,  once a gun shop goes out of business, the ATF gets all the records from that FFL---automatic registration list[?]. We NEED them to stay viable. Gun shows lately have been a bit expensive, but livable. These dealers may not get much exposure anywhere else.

I will always bring extra to a shoot.

ALSO!! CMP is now OUT of the 22 Aquila, till the end of April. Perhaps we could look into deals as instructors with the ammo manufacturers? We'll have to try anything at this point. The supply may not ease as soon as some think. The people are really concerned, and acting acordingly, moreso than ever.

Find the Mom & Pops! Tell 'em about A/S while you're at it.
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

natlmatch

Academy sporting good stores in the Conroe/Woodlands area has bricks of .22 but will only sell 1 box per day per customer....hope this helps.

Regards,

NM

this one to be exact:
Academy Sports
25010 Interstate 45
Spring
(281) 465-2400