News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed Homeschool 'Follow-through' Guide

Started by Nero, January 08, 2013, 04:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

We'd like Appleseed to be more than an 'outing', after all, we're really about keeping the story of our American Heritage alive, particularly for our younger generation.

To that end, Bullet has created a first version of a 'follow-through' guide for Appleseed.  It gives you some further activities along both the marksmanship and Heritage themes, as well as pointers to our source material and questions for further discussions with your family.

The files for the guide are attached to this message in two formats: PDF and Word.  The first will print most anywhere.  The second is there for a reason:  So you can edit it.  We encourage adapting and extending this material to your own needs, and especially posting your suggestions and additions back here!

Update:  There's now a third option - eBooks.  As an experiment, we've converted the Follow-through guide into eBook formats, that will work with Kindles, iPads, and others.  To use, download the .zip attachment and expand it into a folder.  The .epub file works for iPads and others, the .mobi with Kindles and others.  The other files contain graphics and table of contents information - your eBook upload utility will need them.  Let us know what you think!

Here's all we ask:  Tell us what else you can use, either programs or materials.  It doesn't need to go 'bang', we're happy to do presentations or create materials that are purely about heritage.  If you have something to contribute, so much the better - maybe we can get a little American Heritage co-op going right here!  Post it up, or PM Bullet to let her know what you've got!  Or add a reply to this thread if you'd like to be involved when we get things rolling.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

SteelThunder

Love it!  But not just for homeschoolers.  I'm going to steal and create a handout for all my shooters.

Will submit suggestions as I think of them.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

dart67eb

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

GEmanuel

Wonderful resource. It will be put in the hands of every shooter we host.  O0
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

DaddyFatty

Earthmom

The follow through guide is excellent.  Thank you!

Earthmom

As our "curriculum" type resources develop, it would be nice to see them available for free on sites like currclick.com and homeschoolshare.com with our website and "field trip" (Appleseed Shoot) schedule attached at the end of the resource.

Nero

Quote from: Earthmom on January 09, 2013, 12:48:13 PM
As our "curriculum" type resources develop, it would be nice to see them available for free on sites like currclick.com and homeschoolshare.com with our website and "field trip" (Appleseed Shoot) schedule attached at the end of the resource.

Thanks for the pointers.  currclick does look interesting.  homeschoolshare has a very narrow focus, and they want exclusivity (even ownership) over everything submitting, so not a good fit.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

BTT.  An experiment, I've converted the Follow-through Guide to eBook format.  Give it a try and tell us what you think!  Should there be more Appleseed eBooks?

mac66

These are excellent. Would this be something to give to parents at home school library seeds or conventions or what not.  Some of us talked about a HS curriculum at our IBC this past weekend. What other resources could be use to put together a HS package?
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Nero

Please do pass them along, either in print or electronic form!  That's the hope.

Right now I'm editing Whisker's "Becoming Riflemen" from a few years ago into an eBook format.  It's one of the few pieces we have that is written for the shooter, rather than the instructor.  It's useful in its own right, and would be a great 'what to expect and how to prepare' for the HS (or other) would-be shooter.

I've so far gotten three educators to respond to the latest newsletter, who said they were interested in helping out.  I'm going to see if they can be recruited into helping us define and build some further lessons/curriculum pieces based on our heritage material.

Hmmm, anyone from that IBC want to pitch in?  Have them jump in here - the more the merrier.  Likely to be a bit disorganized at first, but we'll IAO.

mac66

Earthmom and Bo Peep (who is new to AS) are our principle HSers and were at the IBC. Our discussion revolved around developing a curriculum package for HSers. I am kind of the unofficial HS presenter it seems but I am not a HSer and really didn't know much about it.  I did however get an education as to the various HS  methodologies that are used.  My wife did teach high school biology for 30+ years and has developed curriculum so I was running some of this stuff by her as well.

Earthmom is much more qualified than I am to determine what type of things are need by that community, but I am here to help if needed.

It just occurred to me that one organization that I am working with to partner up on events and activities might fit right in.   Go to this link and then look in the education and themes sections.

http://www.patriotweek.org/   

They have suggested lesson plans and activities for schools which could be adapted for HSers. It also looks like they could be a big connection for us.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Nero

I'm not a HSer, either - suffering from the problem of having no kids.   ;D  However, I can see the opportunity to influence our posterity directly, and I am a manager and technology geek, so....

maybe if we get the 'customers' (parents and kids), some educators, some 'content experts' (that would marksmanship and heritage content), and some builders in the same place, something interesting will happen.

Bullet

Thanks to everyone for the positive response on the Follow-Through Guide! Makes me happy to see it being used.  :)

Quote from: Nero on January 14, 2013, 08:08:00 PM
maybe if we get the 'customers' (parents and kids), some educators, some 'content experts' (that would marksmanship and heritage content), and some builders in the same place, something interesting will happen.

Absolutely! Sounds like a plan! I think great things can happen.  ^:)^

Keep in mind, for homeschoolers, the parents are the educators (or at least the ones responsible for the education, & overseeing it).

mac66, you asked about other resources that could be used for a HS package. I can think of lots. For starters, I believe lots of things from TIPS would be useful, including large parts of the instructor's manual and the history study page. Compiling info from the forum itself is also a great idea - there are a number of book lists, what-to-bring and how-to-prepare info, printable/copyable targets, maybe some newsletter articles... there's really a wealth of info here. Hmm, maybe a "Best of the Forum" eBook should be tackled at some point? :P

Something else on my to-do list (which is currently long enough to keep me busy for about 10 lives... ) is to contact some history/English/Government/speech teachers at local co-ops and see if they want to get any of their classes involved in writing history stories and/or contributing curriculum. Just throwing that idea out there in case anyone else wants to take it up.
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Pitmaster

Another angle to use is learning public speaking. Possibly by engaging home school kids to tell part of a strike, DOM, etc. at a libraryseed or even at an Appleseed.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

mac66

I've done a couple homeschool presentations and reading the follow through guide makes me realize I've been doing them wrong.  We need to be more focused on the presentation as a starter and/or supplement to their curriculum not as just a guest speaker.   Would be helpful to have some feedback from HSers as to what they would like to see from a presentation.

And I just found this online HS site (Practical Homeschool Magazine) that allows one to list their group or activities to HSers nationwide for free. If someone would step up as the contact person it could be beneficial to us and them.

http://www.home-school.com/groups/add.php?sports
Ronald Reagan

Sapling

I love the PDF. I intend to work some range time in with our history lessons. This is just the kind of hands-on activity to complement our American history lesson. For those kinetic learners out there, homeschooled or not, this fits the bill.

Charles McKinley

Hi mac66

It looks like we would need a contact person it each state.  It looks like an awesome resource.

I will look into it further.

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

LadyVetch

I would caution AGAINST giving away huge chunks of our manual or the stuff on TIPS.  If they want it, join our team. 

But I do love the Folllow up guide.   Very nicely done.

LV
Homeschool Mom to BellRinger
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

trekker.six

Love it!

We home school our kids and are always looking for resources. Although the Appleseed Follow-Through Guide is something I would keep around for my kids either way.

Thanks for the resource!
The Lord bless thee and keep thee. The Lord make His face shine upon thee and be gracious unto thee. The Lord lift his countenance upon thee and give thee peace.
- Numbers 6:24-26

Memphis_Phil

All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting. George Orwell