News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Glen Helen

Started by rrhartley, December 25, 2012, 10:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhartley

It is the weekend before Christmas and at Glen Helen they are scurrying about. We had 25 pre-registered, a sell out, and more emailing every day wanting to come. Of course the reply was yes. There are always a few no shows and I wouldn't want to turn anyone away. As it was we had a full line Saturday and only a couple of spots Sunday. Saturday started with 7 @ 100, 2 @ 200, 2 @ 300, 0 @ 400, and 3 head shots. That leaves about half getting bayoneted as we say. On with the instruction and the smaller the groups became. Now it is time to get the groups in the 4 MOA square. At lunch time all gathered around to hear about the brave Colonists that did what they believed their duty, some at the ultimate cost to them and their families. After lunch it is time to step it up a notch with mag changes, NPOA shifts, and transitions. At the end of the day and one AQT we had three that shot Rifleman. That was great shooting by Seth, Warren, and Sean. All were over the 210 score. It was a good think with the temperature being a bit frigid. What about the Redcoats? I would say much better, 1 @ 100, 3 @ 200, 3 @ 300, 5 @ 400, and again 3 head shots. Many thanks to the Goldberg family of Orange hats Axiom, Military Mom, and the Kid along with Shawn Gibbs, Mr. 45 for their excellent help.
Sunday was just as frigid as Saturday with a little wind chill going on. The day started off with a BANG and the Redcoats, and what a start. We had 0 @ 100, 3@ 200, 3 @ 300, 4 @ 400, 5 head shots, and TWO that cleared the Redcoat. My guess is the stayed awake all night thinking about the day before and all they had learned. Psych Doc and Jester joined Mr. 45 and myself is the teaching corp. We had two new shooters on the line this morning, Donald Kjellberg and the little guy Zach. I do not think Zach shot before but he had a great coach down on the mat with him. Zach had shots on paper which was really exciting for him. Later in the day he found the mud puddle a little more exciting, oh the joy of youth. After a quick review of the fundamentals and a few squares it was AQT time. We shot one AQT and it was lunch time. With interested ears we all circled up and listened to the dangerous OLD men and Brave ladies. I just love the part about Mother Batherick, I always get this vision of the little old lady that cried out over the counter, Where's the BEEF? It is the thought of one little old lady turning in 6 big burly men to the militia. As the day ended and all of the scores tallied we now have three more Riflemen, great shooting, Christian, Jason, and Dominic, who had to leave early so he may not even know. I am sure his buddies will tell him some day. The final Redcoats were just as awesome as the rest of the weekend. We had 5 @ 400, 2 @ 300, 2 @ 200, 1 @ 100, 8, yes 8 head shots, and three cleared Redcoats. Thanks to all of you who took time out of you busy Holiday schedules and joined me at Glen Helen and make this a memorable weekend and a Merry Christmas.
Rick

PS Please post the pictures you took.

pinkcamomommy

Thanks for the great synopsis of our weekend.  I really enjoyed myself and I will be back after some practice of what I learned and I will conquer that AQT test.  Merry Christmas and much thanks to super instructors who made the weekend great.  I learned a lot and can't wait to get out again soon!!  If anyone wants to know if this class if for them I say with no hesitation YES, YES, YES.  You will come home a much better shooter than you arrived.

Christine

only_milsurp

I had a great time this past weekend, however, one correction to the recap is that there was one more Rifleman awarded. My own.

That being said, it was fun to bring more of my family to my second A.S. I definitely saw my groups improve as the weekend went on and I started to remember/listen to what I should be doing. Thanks for the teaching and the time everyone commits to this cause. I definitely would recommend it to anyone looking to learn how to shoot better.

--Chris

Lightflight

I had a great time. Thank you for the instruction. I had issues with the sitting but with help got it sorted out before AQT.

-Sean

Psych Doc

Great to meet all of you, I hope to see you all again soon!  O0

All the best,
Robert

Jester

I was only there on Sunday and it was my first event as an IIT, AND it was a brand new range for me. That being said, thanks to all the shooters and the Instructors for a GREAT Sunday and nice start to my Christmas vacation. I took a few photos throughout the day, here are the highlights:

Rick going over the steady hold factors for standing

Robert covering the 6 steps to firing the shot

Rick surprises a shooter with a pop-quiz by asking him to point out what he's doing wrong in this demonstration

Shooters reading about the Bloody Butchery by the British Troops during lunch

Robert covering for me as Line Boss so I can take pictures. Thanks Robert!

"How many hit the headshot?"

California's newest Riflemen, Jason, Chris and Christian (Not Pictured, Dom)

pinkcamomommy

Thanks for posting these!!.  Any chance I can get more of the line photos if you have the time at some point?  I was hoping to study the way I was holding vs others in the line in hopes to improve my form.  I'm happy to take all you have if you want to send me a folder of photos and I can filter out what I need so I can see what I need to work on. 

georgeandchristine@gmail.com

Thanks.

Christine

Jester

Quote from: pinkcamomommy on December 29, 2012, 01:37:20 PM
Thanks for posting these!!.  Any chance I can get more of the line photos if you have the time at some point?  I was hoping to study the way I was holding vs others in the line in hopes to improve my form.  I'm happy to take all you have if you want to send me a folder of photos and I can filter out what I need so I can see what I need to work on. 

georgeandchristine@gmail.com

Thanks.

Christine

HI Christine,

here is a link to a gallery with a few more shots, one is of you on the instruction mat. I will look through my unpublished images and see what else I have that you could learn from.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110577518752191816139/GlenHelen1223?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOjHwqDH6d6U4QE&feat=directlink

pinkcamomommy

thanks, there is one in this group of photos of the entire line that tells me what I suspected.  many of us are at completely different angles and I suspect this is important.  I'm glad to see this because there were many shots where I felt I was not exactly right and I see that from all the different positions of the whole line that this may be very important to study.