News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona,California Dec 15/16/2012 AAR

Started by Johnnyappleseed, December 15, 2012, 11:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

The founders are proud of the folks who honored their sacrifices  today .
Many thanx to every attendee and to Shoot Boss ,Pysch Doc and to Woof Doc who kept everything running smooth .
I expect some Rifleman tomorrow and at dates in the near future .

This was a very enjoyable day and I am looking forward Sun and to hear comments from each of you.
Photos to follow .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Treadstone

Today's course was very enjoyable and we had some great weather!

This was the first marksmanship class Jennifer and I have taken and after just a few hours of instruction we both feel our skills have begun to improve.  For me, the biggest "a-ha" moment was learning the concept of Natural Point of Aim (NPOA).  Once I got this technique down and learned to trust it (instead of fussing each shot), I was able to apply breathing rhythm + "follow through" and consistently get into the target area I was aiming for.  Group locations became more consistent and MOA generally got smaller.  Sitting and prone shooting is very comfortable and standing isn't that bad either.

If I've done the math right, my AQT from today was 178.  Fingers crossed I'll get a patch tomorrow! (and if not, well I'll be back soon!)

Big thanks for Psych Doc for the instruction and loaning me his scoped-rifle; Woof Doc for running the line and demonstrating positions; and to Johnny Appleseed for the numerous tips he gave me.

See everyone tomorrow!
-Jeff

Psych Doc

An exceptional group of patriots joined us at Raahauge's range in Corona for a weekend of marksmanship and heritage. We had a good mix of new shooters as well as some old hands. Particularly nice to see, were the family members that came out together.

On Saturday our numbers were small due to rumors of rain and some murky, damp weather; however, the seven who arrived were clearly among the cream of the crop. After the Saturday safety briefing, it was on to our first redcoat. While the scores were not bad, it was clear that we had a ways to go, if we were going to match the founders' in marksmanship. As we moved through the steady hold factors and six steps to firing the shot, we sorted out some equipment issues and groups sizes started to shrink. . By the time we took a break for lunch, everyone was consistently on paper and many were showing solid groups and had learned to adjust their sights and scopes to zero their rifles.

The story of the three strikes of the match that began the Revolutionary War was told at lunch. Reminding us of the origins of our nation, the heritage we share and the challenges we face as Americans. As it was Bill of Rights Day, Richard also led us in a review of the history and content of that document as well as the other Charters of Freedom. 

Following lunch, we learned how to shoot from the standing and sitting positions. The instructor crew was amazed when the entire line shot like seasoned pros from the sitting position on their first try! Although many claimed that they had never shot from that position before, we instructors wondered if we had some ringers in the group. Then it was on to our first AQT. A number of shooters had good results with many scores in the Marksman and Sharpshooter Ranges. Despite fatigue setting in from a long day, the final Saturday redcoat showed a lot of improvement. 

All of the Saturday shooters returned for Sunday and were joined by many enthusiastic Sunday Only attendees. With good camaraderie, and a shoehorn, we managed to squeeze all 15 onto our narrow firing line. The morning redcoat looked good with the returning shooters proving that they had absorbed their lessons well and the new arrivals demonstrating that many of them knew what they were about. Charles set the standard by clearing his redcoat!

We moved steadily through the morning review and group sizes continued to shrink.  Our first AQT of the day showed several shooters within striking distance of a patch and all showed improvement.   

Lunch brought the history of our country and the sacrifices and choices of the founders into focus with stories of the dangerous old men, dangerous dames and courageous kids of the founding generation. We also discussed the fate of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

After lunch it was time for more AQT's. Right off the bat, we had a new rifleman as Tony shot his score with a 219. Next to hit the mark was Daniel with a 216. Rick followed with a monster 235. And Jennifer joined them in excellence with a 213. 

^:)^ Three cheers for our newest riflemen, Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!  ^:)^

Our three returning riflemen, Jen, Joe and Heath all showed their mettle with requalifying scores. Well done!  O0

Returning Appleseeders, Doug and Mike, battled equipment gremlins that kept them out of the hunt much of the day. They showed heart and persevered, but ran out of daylight before they could really get down to business. Charles consistently shot well, but the equipment bug got him too, with a dodgy magazine that caused frequent jams. William grappled with the infamous stock Ruger sites, or he too would have been a contender. My money is on all four persisting and getting their patches.

Jeff and Phillip also showed tremendous improvement, both shooting very respectable scores before fatigue set in. With some rest and consistent practice you'll be right back in the hunt for patches. 

First time 'Seeder, Derek, came up from San Diego to shoot with us on Sunday and did a commendable job using loaner equipment. Blaine, who had never fired a rifle prior to this weekend, was also outstanding. When we broke out the Garand toward the end of the day on Sunday, he handled that battle rifle like he was born to it. I definitely hope to see both of you back for more in the future.

The weary but willing shooters showed that they had learned their lessons well and put some serious hurt on their final redcoats. Returning rifleman Jen cleared hers. Way to go!

After patch ceremonies recognizing our new rifleman, Jen, Joe and Daniel stepped up and took orange hats. We ended the day with reminders about the price paid for our liberty and the need for our generation to preserve it for future Americans.

I know I missed a bunch of good stuff in this write up, so please post up additions or corrections. Thanks to all for coming out and sharing a weekend of heritage and marksmanship with us. I hope you all had as much fun as I did and I hope to see you all again soon!

All the best,
Robert (Psych Doc)

Mr Pete

Treadstone,

Waiting on the next chapter in your story!

I know all three of your instructors and am glad that you picked Appleseed as your first formal class.  Their decision to be there for you, as well as their generosity, shows what is in their hearts (something I know very well).  The hard work, improvement and appreciation for what the instructors are doing shows what is in yours.

I envy you and your experience,
-Peter

ps.  Tell your friends!
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Psych Doc

Here are the first of the pics from the shoot:

Saturday Group Photo w/Robert...

...w/Richard

Jen brought homemade Redcoat cookies, yum!

Sunday, Stage 2 AQT, Mike and Doug in the foreground

Sunday, Stage 2 AQT, Pat calling the line

More to pics come  :)

Jester

Hey Everyone!

My name is Daniel Jester and I was one of the shooters at this past weekend's event in Corona. I was lucky enough to have Robert and Pat for the second time around and they, along with Richard, made sure I shot a rifleman's score and earned my patch. Also, I was excited to receive an Orange Hat and be brought into the group as an Instructor in Training!

This was by far my favorite Appleseed event of the 3 I have attended, and it was my favorite for 3 reasons:

1. The smaller group than was present at past events made it much easier to get to know everyone and we were all able to benefit from each others enthusiasm and encouragement.
2. Having my brother there to learn alongside was awesome, and he is thrilled to get out to the next event as soon as he can.
3. I got to shoot Robert's M1 Garand  ^:)^

I have just few shots I took with my phone that I'd like to share:

My brother Blaine shooting on Saturday morning

Pat sharing stories of our forefathers with us

My brother again shooting on Sunday afternoon

And a link to a video of my brother shooting the Garand

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsj382hv92r6jff/2012-12-16%2015.31.50.mp4

tonycabdds

Just a word of thanks to Psyc Doc, Johnny Appleseed, Pat and everyone who unselfishly gives their time to teach the rest of us about the value of our freedom.. I have learned so much about Revolutionary war history that I have taken for granted  and I  have realized that  not enough thought is given to the importance and value of the sacrifice that these american heroes gave their lives for. 
   This was my third visit to the Appleseed group and with each visit I have met an incredibly nice group of people who share interests and values that I have for myself and my family..  I have accomplished a few things in my life but I have to admit that achieving the Rifleman goal has been up there with the best of them..  again, Thank You all for you dedication and patience in teaching us neophytes.

Tony   ;D  s

Jester

Looks like my images might not be working. Here are the new ones:

robojet

Wow... What a weekend!  Exhausting, but well worth the spent energy. Great instruction, great people and great stories of the Revolutionary War!

Things really started to come together the 2nd day.  And got even better when I stopped shooting my husbands target!  I think he's forgiven me.

The shock of the day was when I scored 213!  Awesome. But now I have the pressure of repeating it.  I'm already looking into changing to a scope. I really like my red dot, but I'm thinking success will increase if I make a change. I'll have it at the next event.

Thanks to Psych Doc, Woff doc and Johnny Appleseed for the great weekend and there superb instruction.

xtrapyramidal

I would like to thank the instructors for this event Psych Doc, Johnny Appleseed and, Woof Doc. 

After waiting a year to try again this time to see where my skill sets are now.  I can honestly say it is much better after this weekend.  I didn't think I would be able to make very tight groupings on the one inch targets.  Unfortunately I didn't get the patch this year but the lessons learned this past weekend, I will eventually get it in the future. 

Ironically last year I had some magazine failures which I had thought i had addressed already.  Sorry guys I had held you up while I do "field repair"  and "disassembly" of the AR. I don't have these issues when I go out target practice elsewhere.  I am very happy with the way the equipment performed otherwise.

I got some work to do yet... a little fine tuning of the strap and continue to improve in the fundamentals.  NPOA anyone.. ^:)^ a little bit of trigger control as I had a tendency to hurry a bit.... must be the desert trips makes you a littie trigger happy :~

In the end you can only get better once you get the fundamentals down. be patient, analyze your mistakes and make corrective actions.

I will be back and will keep trying to get my patch and hope i have corrected the gremlins that plague the magazines.

Rocket Man

Outstanding work, gang.

Jen and Joe, didn't realize you'd gotten your Rifleman scores already, but it doesn't surprise me in the least...

To all our new Oranges, welcome to the family.  If you need help figuring out how things work, don't hesitate to ask, no matter what it is -- Robert will guide you through it, I'll be glad to help as well, whatever you need.

To those still striving for that patch, hang in there!  Very few of us reached that plateau without some serious work and repeated attempts.  But once you get there, it's a great feeling. 

Have a great holiday, everyone.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Psych Doc

More Pics:

Our first new Rifleman, Tony, receiving his patch. 

Daniel was next to earn his patch. He also stepped up and took the Orange Hat! Bravo!  O0 Unfortunately, we somehow ended up without a picture of that. :wb: Ironically, he is a professional photographer, we can obviously put his skill to good use in the future.

The weekend's high scorer, Rick, receiving his patch.

Forlorn Shoot Boss, Robert, rethinks his minimalist approach to personal hygiene, as new Riflewoman, Jennifer, retreats to a safe distance with her patch.  ;D

:)) Sorry about this one Jennifer. Patriots and Riflemen we are, photojournalists, not so much...definitely looking forward to your help Daniel!

Returning Rifleman and Riflewoman, Joe and Jen, requalified in spades and took up the Orange Hat of Destiny.

Thanks for a great weekend everybody!  :)

Eljay

Johnnyappleseed

With all respect Tony , you are NOT a neophyte ! You are a RIFLEMAN just like each of us .
It was a pleasure meeting you and Congratulations on earning your RIFLEMAN patch .

We will enjoy having you come out and shoot with us anytime .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Treadstone

Day 2 was a little tougher; I think the fatigue from Saturday caught up to me by noon and my AQT scores kept dropping.  But I had also made some sight adjustments earlier that I think we're a little off.  Oh well.

I should have my own 1022 Take Down by the time the next event is offered next year and we will be back!

I really appreciate the skills taught.  I truly feel like I absorbed the principles and succeeded in putting them into practice.  It no longer feels like I'm just hoping for a good shot, but rather now it's all very calculated and repeatable.  NPOA, breath pause, follow through! It works!

I'm already planning to buy a Remington 700 in 308 and sling it up! Once I master the short range stuff, I want to take these skills to a 1000 yard range.

Thanks everyone and see you in January or February!

Jeff

Psych Doc

Outstanding Jeff!

I look forward to seeing you on the range. You will find that all the skills you learn at 25 meters will transfer to shooting at any distance. A few added elements such as, trajectory, recoil and wind doping and 1000 yard shots are readily within your grasp if you set your intention and persist. 

Robert

George Hacker

Redcoat cookies.  How cool is that?  Where did you get the silhouette shaped cookie cutters?  Could you share the recipe?

ShadowMan (so many questions, so little time)
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Johnnyappleseed

My 200 yard zero is 3 minutes ,to hit at 1000 yards I added 57 minutes of elevation .
The rifle m 14 in 308 .

Anyone care to figure the holdover?
Jeff the rifle knowledge bank on this forum has decades of knowledge that may help you in setting up .
Calvin Coolidge

Gunman Doc

I just want to thank all the instructors again for coordinating such a fine event.  I had a great time, and I was grateful for the chance to get a few more AQTs under my belt.  Even more important, I met some fine Americans.  I'm honored to be a part of this great organization.  I hope to see all of you again somewhere down the line.

A few personal notes:

Tony: I was so ecstatic that you got your patch.  After some time off I'm really hoping to see you back on the line.

Daniel: Those pictures you took are amazing!  SoCal is going to be raising the bar on AAR photos in the near future!

ShadowMan: I'll leave it to Athena1775 to fill you in on the redcoat cookies.

See you all on the line!

Joe
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. "
--Samuel Adams

"Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent."
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Athena 1775

I also want to thank everyone (instructor crew and other shooters) for such a great day at the range.  My husband Joe (Gunman Doc) and I could only be there Sunday, but we had a blast.  We had a great group of people, and I can't wait to run into you all again at other Appleseed events!  And a special "Congrats" to Tony, who started his Appleseed "adventure" with us in Azusa in October, and persevered to receive his (well-earned) Rifleman patch.

Now... about those cookies.   :)  They are scaled off of the 200 yd Red Coat; I sacrificed one of mine to the project.  I made a cookie cutter out of an aluminum lasagna pan (I like to consider myself a cross between Martha Stewart and MacGyver), and then finished the cookies off with red icing.  Some cookies even received "bullet holes", courtesy of an icing-writer pen.

Recipe for cookies here: http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/06/basic-sugar-cookie-recipe-2/
Recipe for icing here: http://www.sweetsugarbelle.com/blog/2011/04/royal-icing-101-or-all-roads-lead-to-rome/
Tutorial for making your own cookie cutter here: http://blog.jugglingfrogs.com/2007/10/make-your-own-cookie-cutter-from-clip.html?m=1

ShadowMan - I heard a rumor that some of these cookies are making their way to the Dulzura shoot on December 29-30... so you should get to see (and taste!) some for yourself.

Jen
"Spirit, that made those spirits dare / To die, and leave their children free..." -Emerson, "Concord Hymn"

"A day can press down all human things, and a day can raise them up." -Athena to Odysseus, Sophocles, "Ajax"