News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Augusta, Georgia Dec. 1-2

Started by DrJohn, December 03, 2012, 11:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Conditions could have hardly been more ideal for an Appleseed weekend...temperatures in the low 70's, clear skies, mild and variable winds. And we could hardly have had a finer group of students. Thirteen of our total of 21 students were first-time students, but their enthusiasm and energy were those of veterans. We began as usual with the Redcoat target, the results of which indicated there was much room for improvement. Then we studied Sling Use and the Steady Hold Factors in Prone, the Six Steps, and Natural Point of Aim, the triad of fundamentals for precision rifle marksmanship. After that we studied Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets, and Inches-Minutes-Clicks, then broke for lunch while we heard the first part of the Story of April 19, 1775, Strikes One and Two. After lunch we covered Steady Hold Factors in Sitting\Kneeling, then Standing Steady Hold Factors and transition to Sitting\Kneeling and transition to Prone. During the afternoon break we heard the last part of the Story, Strike Three. We shot one AQT for score Saturday. Not all were able to return Sunday and we wanted to give everyone a chance to see how well they could do on the AQT. We finished with our evening Redcoat target, and most of the students had made big improvements as the day wore on. Daniel F. had a fresh out of the box rifle Saturday morning (a tube-fed). Saturday evening he cleaned the Redcoat target using a borrowed rifle! Other notable students were our young students Emory, Treyce (his second Appleseed, and a fine performance, although he is not quite a Rifleman yet, but soon), Mark (he continues to shoot with great skill and made Rifleman Sunday) and his brother Blake (Blake will give Mark a run for his money if he continues to dry fire), Ethan, Brian, Nathan (his first Appleseed and showing great potential), Ben, and Zakiah, all of whom outstanding young American patriots and inheritors of our wonderful heritage of Liberty and the marksmanship to guarantee it.

We likewise had outstanding adult students, including Stephanie (who was so entirely in the Rifleman's Bubble Saturday that she shot with an overly tight Loop Sling on Saturday and had a grapefruit-size bruise Sunday morning), Marcus (who took up the call of Liberty and took and Orange Hat Sunday morning and did a fine job as a neophyte IIT Sunday), Carri (who overcame much frustration and demonstrated the Rifleman's dedication to "improvise, adapt, and overcome" as the weekend progressed), Forest (who has much experience in High-Power Competition and demonstrated an admirable quiet dignity and reserve, besides shooting far better than the necessary level to earn his Rifleman's patch), William (who showed a deep appreciation of the message of Liberty), Sam (who is so receptive to the true meaning of Liberty and who gave Appleseed such a generous donation),  Daniel (who improved so much over the weekend), and Susan (who had been awake to the danger to our Liberty long before she attended this, her first Appleseed).

If I left off any names, please excuse my oversight. You all, each and every one of you, did so well that I cannot sufficiently express my pride and appreciation in being among you. For those who were unable to return Sunday, we reviewed all the fundamentals from Saturday, plus heard a bit more of the Story of April 19, 1775, the part we call Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children. The only new material we covered Sunday was a classroom presentation of Known Distance shooting, then an opportunity for those who wished, to shoot out to 100 yards.

I wish to express my appreciation to "kestak", "TAZDevil", "The Iron Mantis", "Dreamerofdreams", "Fountainhead", and "Guardian" for the superb job you did. I believe we offered our fine students a quality experience and trust they have been sufficiently impressed that they will follow our encouragement actively to recruit more students to attend Appleseed events, what we call Seventh Stepping. Also, I strongly encourage everyone to continue to hone their skill by dry firing on a regular basis. My thanks and congratulations to all.

DrJohn
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

pavelft

DrJohn, et al, I just want to thank you all for a wonderful weekend. I had a blast, and really look forward to going to my second Appleseed, and becoming an IIT!

Forest
"Distrust and Caution are the parents of Security" - Ben Franklin

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which and advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots - 'suspicion.'" - Demosthenes

pavelft

Also, kestak, if you see this, I am interested in doing that next Appleseed. Could you remind me where it is, and when?

Forest

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which and advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots - 'suspicion.'" - Demosthenes

dreamerofdreams

I believe the next Augusta shoot is going to be 9/10 March, but I think there are others elsewhere in GA and one in SC before that as well!

Thanks for an awesome shoot, everyone!  What a wonderful bunch of shooters to work with!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

connibear

sounds like a goodtime, and weather. I wish i could have came but line was sold out, same for the macon shoot coming up. Congrats to the new riflemen and orange hats. hope to be at one in 2013.      Ben
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

brianf31

Sounds like an awesome shoot!

Quote from: connibear417 on December 03, 2012, 09:07:39 PM
I wish i could have came but line was sold out, same for the macon shoot coming up.      Ben

Ben,
We re-opened registration for Macon. We made a little more room, so come if you can.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

kestak

Closest Appleseed in time and location is Gaston, SC. It is about 1:15 hour away.
Moreover, next time Augusta registration becomes full, please contact DrJohn, tazdevil or I and we will see if we can do something. Our goal is to do all what is possible and NEVER refuse a shooter if we can manage. We could have managed to have you with us last weekend.

Thank you

Guardian

It was a good weekend. Thanks to all involved for their participation. I hope to see you all again soon.

Congrats to our two new Riflemen and our new Shoot Boss!

Marcus

kestak

Sorry guys for the lack of quality of the pictures. Next time I'll bring my SLR camera instead of using my ipod. It seems the Ipod is not very good when lighting is low.

pavelft

Hey, at least you took pictures! I forgot to!

Guardian

:wb: Duh, guess I should have uploaded the ones I took as well. Mine aren't great either. Enjoy.

Seuss

A great BIG thank you to all the instructors. You did a 'bang up' job. I've been wanting to do this for a long time and hope to be instructing someday, but in the meantime, will spread the word.
My daughter and I are registered for the Port Malabar, FL session Dec 15 as this is our native hometown area, but we'll be back for another GA or SC session.

Dr John, you owe me a 'good reads' list!

'But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work,
this one will be blessed in what he does.' James 1:25 

Thanks again, SusanF