News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Crawfordsville, IN Dec 1-2, 2012

Started by ATM, December 02, 2012, 08:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATM

The weather was mild and inviting for families and friends to hit the range at Crawfordsville Gun Club this weekend.

Connections were made, heritage explored and honored, skills were learned and then honed... and we had a great time doing it!

My thanks to all who came out and made this another successful shoot. 2 new Riflemen, Ed and Tim, showed that they had been practicing by the numbers and there were smiles up and down the line as groups shrank and scores improved.

You all did a fantastic job!  O0

I've got some unpacking and cleaning to do but I'll be back and post more tomorrow. Leave some comments of your own and check back for pictures of the event and more details.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Pitmaster

I attended Sunday and had a great time with some great people. Crawfordsville is a great venue and ATM does an outstanding job of running an Appleseed. I'm sure I will be back.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

ATM

^It was a pleasure to have you and Sass on the line at C'ville again, Pitmaster.

OK, a few more details while we all anxiously await the pictures AuntieBellum took on Saturday and the 2 or 3 I managed to get on Sunday...  :pop:

Ed, Tommy and Taylin joined Mark, Matthew, Daniel and Ella for a Saturday filled with marksmanship instruction and the history of April 19th, 1775.

Ed and Taylin had attended the Appleseed here in October and knew what to expect. Of course, they also knew the answers to our "trickiest" questions but savored that knowledge with a wink and a nod as the others were developing their own conclusions. ;) )

As fundamentals were presented and explained, put into practice, and target feedback analyzed, things started clicking (and I'm not just talking about the sight adjustments). It was evident we had some shooters! Very impressive focus and application from everyone. We also sang some songs once in a while, but I forgot the words... something about rifles I think  :))

At the close of the day, everyone had their performance evaluated under the pressure of the 4 AQT stages. Ed achieved his Rifleman score, earning the patch and the sweet savory bacon. Congrats!

Sunday saw a bit of a change-up on the line: Daniel couldn't make it back (hope you're feeling better, buddy, you did great Saturday) but younger brother Thomas joined the rest of the family to take turns with Ella from the rest with their single shot bolt action. Both were a pleasure to have at the event and shot very safely respectably. Matthew got even better running his right handed bolt action as a lefty. Smooth is fast as they say.  :cool2:

Returning Appleseeders Joe and Tim, Instructors The Nailer and RBKL, and AppleCore Pitmaster filled out Sunday's line for a refresher, a few drills and several more AQTs to fine-tune the skills. Everyone did well and Tim reached that elusive Rifleman score for a patch and more celebratory bacon. Congrats!

Wrapping things up at 25 meters, it was time to move back to 100 yards and ending the day with some KD instruction, measuring come ups and then shooting steel. Boom Ding Boom Ding. Oh yeah!

Both days, you guys and gals got smoother, steadier and more confident and your targets showed it. You also soaked up the stories we told and hopefully took with you not only a renewed sense of pride and appreciation of our founding generation, but the determination to make the most of the Liberty that is our shared inheritance. The character of the Rifleman glows within each of you.  O0

Thank you all for coming out and please tell folks about Appleseed and bring them back with you to another event. See you on the trail!

AuntieBellum

What a fun weekend!  I couldn't have asked for a better Saturday - and the weather didn't hurt, either.  ;)  It was a pleasure to work with each and every one of you, and I look forward to seeing you all again.  I'll try to have pictures up tonight. 
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

AuntieBellum

Time for pictures!  I had so many great ones that I still had a hard time choosing.  I love seeing all of your smiles in these pictures, and I can't wait to see you all again.

Prepping mags.

Getting slings ready.

Everything you need.

ATM in the dirt with Daniel and Matthew.

Tommy.

Taylin has a question.

Ed rocks the demo AQT.

While all of the young'ins pay close attention.

AuntieBellum

Ella asks a question, too.

ATM gets in the dirt with Mark.

Matthew shows us how a lefty gets the job done on a bolt action.

While Daniel gets sends some good rounds downrange, too.

Ella.

Taylin.

Safe rifles again.

Congratulations, Ed!

A view of our posterity.

So, did you have fun?

ATM

Awesome pics AuntieBellum!  I only got two on Sunday. I'm such a slacker!  $$-0

The Nailer sharing the story of Samuel Whittemore at lunchtime.

...and congratulations Tim!

Next event at Crawfordsville will be January 26-27. Better BRRrrrring a jacket.  :)

Fritzenator

Thank you ATM and Auntiebellum for this great event.  Matthew, Daniel, Thomas and Ella all had a blast.  They will definately be back for more.  Thomas especially liked the Star shootout, and we all enjoyed learning the history behind the founding of this great country.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." --George Washington

BALD EAGLE

Saturday was a great day to learn the basics again without the elements being a factor. Tommy, Taylin and I all had a awesome time. Especially when ATM breaks out into song when its time to clear the line (very entertaining- especially for the kids).  This as mine and Taylins Second Appleseed and we both saw major improvements since the first one in October. Thank you to all the volunteers. Can't wait until the next appleseed in January! Bring on the 12" of snow and cold weather! We are ready to test ourselves against the elements! And I can not forget - MMMMMMM the sweet taste of the victorious BACON! ^:)^

Jay Haich

Looks like everone had a great weekend. Good to see so many young shooters.

Daniel: My pink shooting mat is glad to see that it has a "Buddy" out there on the Appleseed trail....maybe the mats will meet one day...

My Pink Mat

Be Safe
JH
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....