News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RED BLUFF,CA NOVEMBER 17-18---AAR

Started by NorCal22Gal, November 20, 2012, 05:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

Rain, wind, wet, cold.....

That combination of weather didn't stop 10 Americans from coming out to learn some marksmanship skills and some History.

The rain that was coming down Saturday morning made me glad for our covered concrete shooting line.  We added some Ez-up behind the safety line to help keep shooters and gear drier.  Tehama Shooters Association also has a club house with a wood burning stove that we kept going all day...

After welcome and safety briefing, we moved out in the wet and began with the red coats.  Sheri showed she was determined to give those red coats a run for their money by clearing the first one of the morning.  After the red coats we dove into the learning.  This was a determined group of shooters and the group sizes began to change quickly.

Around noon we stopped for lunch and headed up to the clubhouse for some food, for both mind and body.  American Amazon, Nero and I told the 3 strikes, led off by eaglescouter with a nice pre-history setting the stage for the rest of us.

Back on the line we finished up the teaching and posted our first (and only) AQT of the day.  Remember Sheri....well she posted the only Rifleman score of the day...219. Oh and she CLEARED THE 2ND RED COAT!

After a quick clean up and benediction and awards we closed the first day of the weekend. 

Those of us camping at the range were treated to a down pour that had us wondering what Sunday was going to be like.

Sunday dawned (sorta) overcast and cold.  We got very lucky and it didn't rain on us.  We reviewed safety and proceeded to the line to get started.

This determined group of shooters progressed through the review and soaked it all up.  Right before lunch we posted the first AQT.  Jamie decided that Sheri wasn't going to be the only one who knew what they were about, he posted a 210....I made a shoot boss decision and decided it was too cold to baptize him with the water of the North Bridge...besides as he put it "didn't we do that yesterday?!"  so a closed bottle of water was lifted in salute with the declaration that in the warmer weather he would treat himself...his son Kyle thought he should get those honors...we'll see....

After lunch we continued with AQT's, slowed somewhat due to the KD (known distance) going on at the same time.  We didn't have anymore Riflemen scores but there are a lot of people knocking on the door...Keep practicing.

I want to thank Kyle, our only youth on the line...at 9 yrs old he had the best attitude out there.  Always safe despite a chamber flag that was determined to give him trouble.  Even when the wind gusted under the ez up and doused him with water just as he walked under the edge of it he had a great attitude.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! 

Those of you who didn't make Rifleman score this weekend are very much encouraged to come out again...bring a friend or two...

Sheri decided that the orange hat that Mikeee dropped on her head fit just fine so she's now an IIT0 (homesteadgirl is most welcome!!).

So another wonderful, successful Red Bluff Appleseed comes to a close.

BIG THANKS TO ALL MY INSTRUCTORS WHO CAME OUT AND HELPED MAKE THIS A GREAT WEEKEND.

Nero

We are back home and the mess is (more or less) stowed away, so here we go with some pix!

Red Bluff range awaits, amid oaks and volcanic rocks

Mikeee calls the line

Kyle gets double teamed by 'hats'

Scott and Sheri, and Chet with his classic '50s target rifle

Norcal22Gal on the "Lady's end"

Joe works with Jamie

Targets so wet that we took pictures in case they disintegrated when we took them down...

That one's a winner!  Sheri makes rifle(wo)man - we signed it after drying by the wood stove!

Kyle's grin stands out even in the dimly lit club house

KD set up on Sunday

M1 and M1A speaking together

Philip and Friso and their dueling Mosins

Jamie makes rifleman with a 210, but is spared a ducking since nature had already provided one!

There are more pix in the full album.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Transform

Quote from: NorCal22Gal on November 20, 2012, 05:31:14 PM
Those of us camping at the range were treated to a down pour

As the only "tent" camper, I'd call that an understatement! I thought I was well-prepared when I raised a canopy over my tent to keep it dry, until it woke me up by collapsing under the weight of all that rainwater! Then later that day, my entire camp blew away in the wind, until Nero chased it down and piled rocks on it. (Thanks again Nero!)

After the long drive home, all of my gear is still sitting out on the porch, much too wet to bring into the house.
Yet I can hardly wait to return to Red Bluff again, what a great weekend and what a great Appleseed!

I want to thank Kyle, our only youth on the line...at 9 yrs old he had the best attitude out there.

I want to echo this, it was a real pleasure working with Kyle, he had a consistently great attitude throughout the weekend, and he amply demonstrated a Rifleman's persistence. A future Appleseed Instructor for sure!

homesteadgirl

I had soo much fun and am still on a high from getting my Riflemen patch. Went and got some more targets to keep practicing with today.