News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Amite, LA - November 17-18, 2012

Started by LawDog, November 15, 2012, 04:16:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawDog

To the fine Americans who joined us in Amite this weekend, thank you.  I loved your rapt attention to history and insightful questions.  And that focus carried over to the Firing Line.  I wasn't keeping track, but I bet that this Shoot had the highest round count of any Appleseed I have ever seen.  You started on track and stayed there.  Everyone was locked into the instruction and then got to work.  That fire hose was opened full blast and every one of you kept up.  It was a beautiful thing. 

Individual performances were also exceptional.  Alan, our newest Rifleman, showed the AK-haters just how accurate that rifle can be.  Hunter's consistent 200-ish scores with a lever action rifle were amazing.  I would have pushed for him to try a semi-auto but am convinced he can score 210 with that Henry.  Sean, Stephanie, and Tab - it is only a matter of time and practice for you.  You should be encouraged by your progress.  I look forward to having Robert back at our next event; we were sorry you couldn't make it back on Sunday.  John - nice job, young Patriot!

My sincere thanks also go to kd5ozj for his senior leadership and to a great trio of IITs.  Thank you all for stepping up, particularly as my loss of voice limited my utility.  Nice work, gentlemen.     

Flighttime

Stephen Ian and I will be at the range here in LA this weekend......wish you the best appleseed shoot ever with many additions on your flag at your Amite shoot! Semper Fi
"Sad will be the day when the American people forget their traditions and their history, and no longer remember that the country they love, the institutions they cherish, and the freedom they hope to preserve, were born in the throes of armed resistance to tyranny and nursed in the rugged arms of fearless men"----Roger Sherman

"If you know how to shoot, and are quite ready to shoot, the chances are you won't have to shoot."----General John J. Pershing

LawDog

Great to hear from you.  Now that I have your screen name, I can turn in your IIT promotion!  Huzzah! 
Let's work on bringing AS to your backyard in 2013.  I want to present Ian his Orange Hat right on his home range. 

isleno1963

Lawdog,

Once again the experince exceed my expectations!  As much as I've learned, most important I learned there is MUCH more to learn....
Looking forward to the next event, and scheduling for 2013!
Enjoyed working with everyone, and sharing our knowledge with the shooters.

Isleno1963
^:)^

geeck

Great shoot,  I was more than happy to be of service.  I've also come to the conclusion Law Dog doesn't miss anything out there on the range... it was a great learning experience and a pleasure.

TG

LawDog

This was a classic case of three sharp IITs and one sharp RH making the SB's job very easy.  Through other channels, I have heard very, very positive comments about this weekend.  Nice work, team.  And thank you.

general mills

The beat goes on and I haven't had a chance untill now to write yet, but as they say, better late than never.

I came to Appleseed with nothing but high hopes.  No one I knew had ever told me about one, as I just happened to run across a mention of it on a local internet forum.  The only information I had prior to attending was my own internet research and an encoueging E-mail from the man directing the show.  I signed me and my son up for the Amite event on Nov.17-18th and was not dissapointed.

I knew I was going to learn early Revolutionary war history and I was excited to do so.  But I was surprised at how well the information was presented.  I was greeted by an assortment of early United States flags, many of wich I had never seen before.  Large, banner sized maps in color were hung to help illustrate the events and help you understand how these events unfolded across the early American landscape.  The information was presented less like a history lesson and more like a story.  As it was told, I could picture men shouting and pouring out of a tavern to meet an unknown fate with steadfast courage.  I found myself telling my wife the same stories I had learned that day over dinner at home.

The marksmanship instruction was thorough and intense.  I have never formally been taught how to use a rifle, what I knew came from books.  I was sketchy on how to properly use a sling and natural point of aim was a concept that escaped me.  More was presented and applied in those two days than I expected.  You will be taught proper marksmanship fundamentals and walk away with all the tools you need to practice and become extreamly proficiant with a rifle.  The instructors worked with me one on one, fine tuning what I had learned and correcting bad form untill I could confidently put rounds on target consistently.  For the first time, I realized natural point of aim, when the rifle is on target, and that is that.  You are in a natural position that will return the rifle to the same point, no matter how you breathe, how it recoils, or even if someone were to shake the barrel.  At the begining of the first day, the comment was made to another shooter, "you won't need that shooting sled, we'll teach you to be a human shooting sled."  I didn't realize then how true that statement was.

One more thing, I was impressed with how well they were able to accomadate my son.  He is young and rather new to firearms.  The first day, The son of one of the instructos was there, and was paired with my son.  I know this really helped keep the interest of my son, having someone close to his own age to explain things and work with him on his own level.  Also, my son was never left alone at the firing line, always supervised by an experianced instructor.  This allowed me to focus on my marksmanship, and get the most out of the weekend.

All in all, my expectations were exceeded.  If you are at all interested in early United States history and improving your shooting skills, this is the place.  Personally, I plan on returning on at least a one day weekend to keep things sharp, and I am confident I'd learn something new as well.